The Elder Scrolls Online

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It'll never happen for Ut, BAYR, or Bait.

Anyways, group dungeons video...

I think this is the funniest thing ever due to your comment and that this video has been posted and mocked about 3 times already in this thread.

Remember, when you need people to think your MMORPG is "ACTIONY LIKE ELDER SCROLLS", you need to have someone like Paul Sage behind you telling you to dance all over the place, jump around and make it look completely more exciting then it really is, and it probably helps to give them 6 hits of acid an hour before starting the recording. This latest Dungeon staged marketing video is probably one of the most reeking offenders of not showing how this game is in dungeons, where the majority of us will all be in one spot hitting mobs until we get to a mini boss.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit if this lasts me 3 months its a fucking win! Since no mmo since like WoW captured me for more than 1-2 months.
3 months is better than most that I've play unfortunately. FFXIV has held me longer than probably any. I think I played Rift for about 6 actually. Didn't quite make it to 6 as I bought a 6 month subscription and quite before it ran out. Everything else I maybe played for the free 30 days. Actually let me think...

EQ1: 6 years non-stop, off and on for about 2 years.
EQII: 5 years non-stop, off an on for 2-3 years.
SWG: 3-4 months
DAOC: two different stints about 3-4 months a piece
WAR: 6 months
WoW: off and on for 3 years (Played vanilla, TBC, and came back to run Cata. TBC was my favorite time in WoW)
FFXI: 3 months
LOTRO: 2 months
AoC: 1 month (about 2 weeks really )
Linage II: 1 month
Rift: 5-6 months
SWTOR: 4-5 months
FFXIV: 3-4 months

That's just off the top of my head but what is sad, not one MMO since EQI, EQII, or WoW has even held the potential to hold my attention for a year or more. I can't even remember one that really held me for 6 or more months. The list doesn't include reinstalling on promotional days and "giving it another try" but someone needs to save the day here. Either the market is saturated with mediocrity or my life has changed to the point I no longer find MMO's entertaining.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Remember, when you need people to think your MMORPG is "ACTIONY LIKE ELDER SCROLLS", you need to have someone like Paul Sage behind you telling you to dance all over the place, jump around and make it look completely more exciting then it really is, and it probably helps to give them 6 hits of acid an hour before starting the recording. This latest Dungeon staged marketing video is probably one of the most reeking offenders of not showing how this game is in dungeons, where the majority of us will all be in one spot hitting mobs until we get to a mini boss.
The only thing they will be dancing on is all the piles of cash this will make them. Does that make you upset?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I want to play this game first person, so figured a bow would be best. Been looking at bow videos, and....

When using a bow you can aim towards a mob, once the crosshairs go over it and it gets that red aura, hold attack for a long draw and strong attack, then you can turn around and fire in the completely opposite direction and it will still hit the mob you targeted that is behind you. Very noticeable with the strong bow attack, as it is not an instant skill, yet it seems to "activate" as a skill when you draw the arrow, not when you actually let it go. So the arrow does not seem to be the thing you need to dodge, but when you actually start drawing the arrow.

Makes me curious now if you draw the arrow looking away from a mob, then turn towards it and fire, will it miss? Since you activated the skill without having the crosshairs on the mob first. Is the "Arrow" the physical object that does damage, or is "drawing the arrow" the skill that initiates the attack and already at that point it has calculated the hit/miss/damage ratio?

How is that going to work in PvP? Anyone tried it? Because it seems all you need to do is tag them at the moment you press the attack, and it will hit them, no matter where you directly aim. Is this the case for all skills? If you initiate the skill within the correct cone of distance for the ability, you will always hit no matter if the target has changed positions since you pressed the skill? If so, glory be to the ranged characters in this game. Can just run the opposite direction from someone, then bind a key to do a 180 turn, use a skill, then turn back again. Melee people wouldn't stand a chance against that 1v1 unless they had run speed buffs.

Curious if this is intended or bug/lag? It is autoaim to the 10th degree from what I have seen, even worse than the Titanfall gun with homing bullets that curve.

EDIT: Should also note it is downright impressive how quickly some beta videos vanish from Youtube, and how targeted they are. If one is foreign, it usually stays up, even if it is from the normal beta weeked, and under the NDA. So it is not due to the normal copyright thing that Youtube runs to scan for content. It seems targeted. Probably because the people looking at them can't understand what they are saying. However, beta videos that are in English and negative, they go poof so fast that Zeni must have full time workers to enforce the NDA. It is bonkers.

where the majority of us will all be in one spot hitting mobs until we get to a mini boss.
That was not my personal experience in the dungeon I ran. It was very action-y. That's me and the group I was with. Maybe someone else would play it differently but my group had a lot more going on than is even in that video.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
This latest Dungeon staged marketing video is probably one of the most reeking offenders of not showing how this game is in dungeons, where the majority of us will all be in one spot hitting mobs until we get to a mini boss.
More proof you're not in the closed beta nor have you even run a dungeon in the weekend betas. No one stands in one spot even during trash pulls unless they suck at the game because there almost always some form of AOEs, conal attacks, cleaves etc you have to avoid even from trash mobs.

BTW when you say "the majority of us" implies you are including yourself. Why would you give your money to Zenimax to play a game you despise?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Can someone answer my previous bow question?

How does the targeting system work in this game? I am confused.

Also, this is why NDAs this close to release are dumbfoundedly stupid. Two months from release, "targeting" shouldn't be confusing, and certainly should be allowed to be talked about. Because the whole "target someone, turn around and fire in the opposite direction and still hit" screams tab targeting, not action/visual range targeting. Which does TESO have?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you press Tab you lock on and don't need to aim the reticule, after that its just a matter of range and probably facing the target for melee.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I didnt have to face the target as a melee. I dont know if it was lag or what but you know those rogue guys that would jump behind you mid fight? Well my specials would still land on them while they were behind me and I was not facing them. I noticed this several times during the weekend.

Im not sure how the bow works because I didnt try it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ouch that would be funny if you just had to lock on and as long as they are in range, abilities will hit no matter what.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Also, this is why NDAs this close to release are dumbfoundedly stupid. Two months from release, "targeting" shouldn't be confusing, and certainly should be allowed to be talked about. Because the whole "target someone, turn around and fire in the opposite direction and still hit" screams tab targeting, not action/visual range targeting. Which does TESO have?
I'd like to hear some input on this as well, it didn't feel consistent enough for me to give you a definitive answer. For example, like you said if I initiated a 2h power attack with something targeted and the target moved away or I turned direction, it would still land even though the reticle/animation was nowhere near them. Alternatively, if I saw someone engaged with a mob I could start a melee power attack while moving and land that attack as long as I was close enough when it went off (only way I really knew my attack landed is that I'd get quest credit or loot from that attack). So what happens if you start a power attack looking at one target, and then turn and highlight a second one before it finishes? I have no idea what the priority system for it is.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So what happens if you start a power attack looking at one target, and then turn and highlight a second one before it finishes? I have no idea what the priority system for it is.
From what I have seen, with a bow at least. You can draw an arrow while having a mob highlighted, turn towards a different mob and fire against it, it will hit the first mob you activated the skill/attack on. Same if you draw an arrow, then decide not to attack that mob, and try to fire right down into the ground, it will still hit.

Which is why I am curious if the activation of the attack has already determined all the hit/miss/damage ratios, and it has little to nothing to do with the actual physical weapons you use, like the actual path of the arrow or sword. So what Cinge said, it will be crazy if all you need to do is activate the ability within range and it will hit no matter if you are out of range when the ability actually sends out the attack.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
More proof you're not in the closed beta nor have you even run a dungeon in the weekend betas. No one stands in one spot even during trash pulls unless they suck at the game because there almost always some form of AOEs, conal attacks, cleaves etc you have to avoid even from trash mobs.
Oh bullshit. The trash mobs are gunning for the aggro and if you look at that video they are all running around even when they aren't even close to being in range for any trash mobs anyway. Some of those folks are 10 yards behind running back and forth for no reason what so ever other than they were told to for the video. I love how you hide behind the NDA when people ask you questions, yet for some reason you spout this cone attack/AOE which effects a few of every 10 trash mobs in a any particular dungeon; nonsense which is clearly protected under NDA. Either quit hiding behind it for questions you know will hurt the plausibility of the sale, or shut the fuck up on all of it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
From what I have seen, with a bow at least. You can draw an arrow while having a mob highlighted, turn towards a different mob and fire against it, it will hit the first mob you activated the skill/attack on. Same if you draw an arrow, then decide not to attack that mob, and try to fire right down into the ground, it will still hit.

Which is why I am curious if the activation of the attack has already determined all the hit/miss/damage ratios, and it has little to nothing to do with the actual physical weapons you use, like the actual path of the arrow or sword. So what Cinge said, it will be crazy if all you need to do is activate the ability within range and it will hit no matter if you are out of range when the ability actually sends out the attack.
The activation of the range attack takes priority on the target you activated it on. It's a cluster fuck. So you target Mob A, you click back to hold the arrow to charge it, see Mob B making a B line toward you, turn towards it and put your reticule on B, and fire - it hits Mob A. Mob A could be on the fucking moon 300 miles up through space and it will still hit it even if you had the sight right on the eyeball of Mob B. If you activate on target A, hold, switch to Target B (Tab) and fire, the combat system is so jacked that you'll miss 75% of the time because it doesn't know what the fuck to do. 10% of the time it still hits mob A, 5% of the time it will hit mob B. 10% of the time you have no clue what the hell you just hit, but you hit something. It's the worst shoe in system once they decided it needed to be "More like Skyrim" in the history of gaming. It's little shit like this, the very poorly thought out decisions when it came to marketing the game, that they never gave one fucking damn about when actually making a game that * should * have been a lot more fluid, fun, and playable.

Meanwhile, have fun with that in PvP.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Oh bullshit. The trash mobs are gunning for the aggro and if you look at that video they are all running around even when they aren't even close to being in range for any trash mobs anyway. Some of those folks are 10 yards behind running back and forth for no reason what so ever other than they were told to for the video. I love how you hide behind the NDA when people ask you questions, yet for some reason you spout this cone attack/AOE which effects a few of every 10 trash mobs in a any particular dungeon; nonsense which is clearly protected under NDA. Either quit hiding behind it for questions you know will hurt the plausibility of the sale, or shut the fuck up on all of it.
I'm beginning to wonder if you have even played the game at all.

It doesn't break the NDA at all to state the obvious. The game puts red shit on the ground to show you where not to stand. It can be all over the place on trash pulls. No one stands in one place unless they are bad.

Your irrational hatred of this game compels you to make up shit in order to counter any positive comments from the reviewers, even if it forces you to lie. The positive reviews from the media about PVP are probably going to cause you to have one massive conniption fit.