DAOC: Mark Jacobs/Matt Firor
WAR: Mark Jacobs
AO: Funcom
AoC: Funcom
TSW: Funcom
SWTOR: Rich Vogel
TESO: Matt Firor
Tabula Rosa: Richard Garriot
Look above to the edits and I will show you the problem.

Below, notice names not on the above list.

World of Warcraft: Rob Pardo, Jeff Kaplan, Shane Dabiri, Alex Afraisiabi - Most successful MMORPG of all time

Case closed.

We will not see anything better until we have a repeat of breakout game players that not only can form a team to be creative, but get rid of any decision makers listed above in the quote to have NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with the design process or the company itself.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm beginning to wonder if you have even played the game at all.

It doesn't break the NDA at all to state the obvious. The game puts red shit on the ground to show you where not to stand. It can be all over the place on trash pulls. No one stands in one place unless they are bad.
Just like there is dungeon crawling in EQ correct?
rolleyes.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So instead of praising Furor and Tigole like they are some Gods among Men, why not just say that a better designer for MMO Games is going to come from a qualified person that actively succeeds in the hardest environments and social situations of their favorite MMO game? Which then, I will agree. I think it was SWTOR that I was watching one of the Developers play his game and he was keyboard turning and mouse clicking abilities. I should have known then that the game was doomed to mediocrity.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
FYI the media embargo on PVP was lifted today. Reddit has a thread for it. Posted this from my iPhone so no URL
PRX was given special permission to be included in the lifted embargo too. We're creating a 15 minute video breakdown of our experiences.

We're really happy with the PVP system, it's very different than the rest of the game. Basically the team that created the world PVP is somewhat separate from the rest of the game and has created a pretty good world PVP system. It's analagous to Mass Effect 3 where the multiplayer was the best part by far.

Here's a couple quick screenshots:

PVP shenanigans in Cyrodiil. This shows a small group of us working on taking a resource. In the distance to the left, you see the flag which is the objective. Players need to clear out the guards in the area and wait for the flag to flip on the resources (there are three resources per keep). You'll also notice a catapult in the screenshot - this is called a meat bag and is most useful against NPC's.
rrr_img_60227.jpg

And this is our first keep that we claimed. Yes ... we were called PRXe (pro tip ... don't drink tequila when creating a guild name).

Actually it was this goofy incident that got a bug fixed in the game as you can't edit your guild name once you create it and because of us, in launch you'll be able to!
rrr_img_60228.jpg

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
We're really happy with the PVP system, it's very different than the rest of the game. Basically the team that created the world PVP is somewhat separate from the rest of the game and has created a pretty good world PVP system. It's analagous to Mass Effect 3 where the multiplayer was the best part by far.
What are the differences between RVR in ESO and WVW in GW2?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Tuco... is PvP viable for a small group of friends? Is this Open World or a Battleground/Instance situation you are referencing above?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Tuco... is PvP viable for a small group of friends? Is this Open World or a Battleground/Instance situation you are referencing above?
Yes it is quite viable for small groups. It's instanced in the sense that you queue for it but once inside it's massive.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Once you reach a certain level you can level up strictly in AvA, but that system needs some fixin'.
As in what? Too slow? Or you end up having no gear etc? Would also lose out on skill points wouldn't you, from those shard things?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
As in what? Too slow? Or you end up having no gear etc? Would also lose out on skill points wouldn't you, from those shard things?
From horrible imbalances in XP Gains, to the combat system not being fluid enough to handle PvP, to not being able to stay logged into the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The activation of the range attack takes priority on the target you activated it on. It's a cluster fuck. So you target Mob A, you click back to hold the arrow to charge it, see Mob B making a B line toward you, turn towards it and put your reticule on B, and fire - it hits Mob A. Mob A could be on the fucking moon 300 miles up through space and it will still hit it even if you had the sight right on the eyeball of Mob B. If you activate on target A, hold, switch to Target B (Tab) and fire, the combat system is so jacked that you'll miss 75% of the time because it doesn't know what the fuck to do. 10% of the time it still hits mob A, 5% of the time it will hit mob B. 10% of the time you have no clue what the hell you just hit, but you hit something. It's the worst shoe in system once they decided it needed to be "More like Skyrim" in the history of gaming. It's little shit like this, the very poorly thought out decisions when it came to marketing the game, that they never gave one fucking damn about when actually making a game that * should * have been a lot more fluid, fun, and playable.

Meanwhile, have fun with that in PvP.
o_O

So it really is like that... Wow.

EDIT: So Tuco, is this a problem in PvP/RvR? Haven't seen any PvP videos yet that talk about this. /End edit

Rescorla_sl said:
It doesn't break the NDA at all to state the obvious. The game puts red shit on the ground to show you where not to stand. It can be all over the place on trash pulls. No one stands in one place unless they are bad.
frown.png

So there are lots of telegraphs later on? Not seen many of them in the early videos. That alone will completely break any viability of first person.

I think it is safe to say at this point, that while it very well might turn into an enjoyable mmo, it is not Elder Scrolls.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What are the advantages to owning the keep and what keeps ESO from the same fate as WAR to where you just flip flop keeps? I hated the fate of WAR. You just let the Keep go and take the other while they walked through the doors of your previously held keep. You never defended, just kept moving. It got old really fast since one side of entire game was meaningless.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Currently it's very slow in regards to exp gain but it's changed quite a bit and imagine we'll see it change again before launch. I just don't know if I would classify it as viable if you hold any regard for speed in leveling compared to PvE. There are skyshards in Cyrodiil but remember, those do not count towards your stats, only your unlocks. Couple that with having a limited hotbar you won't be behind in power, only in flexibility. Gear on the other hand, yes you'll be behind.

Blackwulf

N00b
From horrible imbalances in XP Gains, to the combat system not being fluid enough to handle PvP, to not being able to stay logged into the game.
Dude, quit fucking acting like you have a clue. You're the dipshit that was trying to say cyrodiil was unplayable, didn't exist, that no level 50 pvp was tested, etc. Go shit in another thread, please.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
o_O

So it really is like that... Wow.

EDIT: So Tuco, is this a problem in PvP/RvR? Haven't seen any PvP videos yet that talk about this. /End edit

frown.png

So there are lots of telegraphs later on? Not seen many of them in the early videos. That alone will completely break any viability of first person.

I think it is safe to say at this point, that while it very well might turn into an enjoyable mmo, it is not Elder Scrolls.
No more or less than what you've seen so far if you tested on any weekend.