The Elder Scrolls Online

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Nybling, our favorite soft cap closed beta tester changed his 49 health to 49 Magicka...I'd expect more tweaking to happen. It looks like ZOS is paying attention to beta testers to some degree.

Also, an important thing to note is that while in the video I say I lost 980 points of health, now it's actually 735 as ZOS changed each point of health spent to equal 15 points of health instead of 20.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ya but... We know man. Almost nobody disagrees with you.

The fact remains though... The PVP is fun, and that alone is worth a box purchase.
But its not. Lets keep it real. The combat still is horrid, and the PvP 90 day make up will kill the campaigns in under 2 weeks.

The underlying issue is combat and responsiveness, and the ridiculous active overlay on top of traditional MMORPG combat to sell it as an action RPG to get those box sales.

Right now, the underlying tone from ZM is hoping to get their money back invested - there is genuine fear of not recouping the $156 or so million blown at this point. That one may or may not be straight from Cal Ripkin Junior.

With sales, and an average sell sale around 40-45 with GMG, it will need to push around 3-3.5 million boxes to recoup that.

signati_sl

shitlord
Oh so there goes my ninja stealth healer popping in and out like Jesus healing the sick and disappearing.
The Magelight ability has a radial range centered on the person using it, so stealth healing can work so long as you keep your distance. Stealth in group PvP battles is difficult for another reason though. When a player tab targets you, they continue to see a rectangular box indicating your position and can still hit you if you use any form of invisibility. I suspect that this is done so that people don't abuse invisibility potions, but it also renders short duration stealth abilities useless in PvP.

edit: Ut, every AAA game is a large investment and every MMO relies on subs to recoup costs. You're not actually saying anything about this game.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
edit: Ut, every AAA game is a large investment and every MMO relies on subs to recoup costs. You're not actually saying anything about this game.
If you think this genre relies in subs to recoup costs you don't know this genre. The sunk cost fallacy is just that, and anyone that thinks subscriptions actually go to anything but the pocket book as a means of DLC for no DLC at all aside from what would amount to $10 bucks worth of content every 2-3 months is nuts.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
But its not. Lets keep it real. The combat still is horrid, and the PvP 90 day make up will kill the campaigns in under 2 weeks.

The underlying issue is combat and responsiveness, and the ridiculous active overlay on top of traditional MMORPG combat to sell it as an action RPG to get those box sales.

Right now, the underlying tone from ZM is hoping to get their money back invested - there is genuine fear of not recouping the $156 or so million blown at this point. That one may or may not be straight from Cal Ripkin Junior.

With sales, and an average sell sale around 40-45 with GMG, it will need to push around 3-3.5 million boxes to recoup that.
So what? It's not like anything you're posting now is new news.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just keeping it real Xax. The shilling has gone full blown overboard. The underlying issues still exist, and a boatload of other shit wrong with this game is being glossed over in the hopes that PvP will save it. It won't. The combat, regardless of if you are playing pvE or PVP still * sucks *. The sugarcoating of the PvP game when the actual play of it differs heavily, doesn't need to be ignored. It's a game breaking flaw. And the other thing people should be concerned about is the 90 day campaign, ability to move instances, and the lack of overall awareness of the content/itemization/statistical issues that got put on the back burner to ship this thing out.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
But its not. Lets keep it real. The combat still is horrid, and the PvP 90 day make up will kill the campaigns in under 2 weeks...

I agree that the combat doesn't feel very good at all. I've gotten used to it though, and I find it quite a bit less noticeable. I still think the game they created within Cyrodil is quite engaging and well done. You're right though. I wish campaign switching was behind a very severe real money pay wall or some other major deterrent.

But man... I think they are easily gonna sell 3.5 million boxes between all platforms. Probably double that.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I agree that the combat doesn't feel very good at all. I've gotten used to it though, and I find it quite a bit less noticeable. I still think the game they created within Cyrodil is quite engaging and well done. You're right though. I wish campaign switching was behind a very severe real money pay wall or some other major deterrent.

But man... I think they are easily gonna sell 3.5 million boxes between all platforms. Probably double that.
Oh absolutely agree. A lot of people are about to get suckered in to this shit because of the IP.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ya but define suckered, man.

These days I'm happy if I get 15 hours /played out of a full price (single player) purchase.
And that bar gets lowered every time a game like this is made and we buy it. (I am just as guilty)

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just keeping it real Xax. The shilling has gone full blown overboard. The underlying issues still exist, and a boatload of other shit wrong with this game is being glossed over in the hopes that PvP will save it. It won't. The combat, regardless of if you are playing pvE or PVP still * sucks *. The sugarcoating of the PvP game when the actual play of it differs heavily, doesn't need to be ignored. It's a game breaking flaw.
But it's not like your saving blue haired grandmas from being fleeced of their life savings here. I'm buying it fully, as well as a few others, expecting not to get more than 2 months out of it. Problem is, this game has been setup as the biggest clusterfuck this side of Vanguard and it is clearly not.

Boring? Yes. Uninspired? Totally. Unfortunately, so is every single other MMO, so what else am I going to spend my money on if I like MMOs?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ya but define suckered, man.

These days I'm happy if I get 15 hours /played out of a full price (single player) purchase.
I agree, and mmorpgs still tend to be the best bang for your dollar even if you pay a sub. Even SWTOR gave me a few hundred hours of enjoyment.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I agree, and mmorpgs still tend to be the best bang for your dollar even if you pay a sub. Even SWTOR gave me a few hundred hours of enjoyment.
Hell, I got a few extra months out of SWTOR and it cost me nothing! Gogo F2P.

The design of this game is good and it looks gorgeous. Thank god it's not using 'stylized' graphics.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
MMOs are still good value. Used to be a rpg was worth 80+ hours, and a fps 30 or so, now both are about half that. But Skyrim was worth hundreds of hours for me. I think thats why people are disappointed with ESO, its only average, and bethesda has been one of the few companies that hasn't had a huge regression over the last decade so people feel sad that ESO might be the start of that. I mean skyrim imo is by far the best game bethesda ever made, and before that it was fallout, and before that oblivion and morrowind, they only got better as time went along. Thats not true for any other company, even blizz. And now we get that is only average and its disappointing.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Just keeping it real Xax. The shilling has gone full blown overboard. The underlying issues still exist, and a boatload of other shit wrong with this game is being glossed over in the hopes that PvP will save it. It won't. The combat, regardless of if you are playing pvE or PVP still * sucks *. The sugarcoating of the PvP game when the actual play of it differs heavily, doesn't need to be ignored. It's a game breaking flaw. And the other thing people should be concerned about is the 90 day campaign, ability to move instances, and the lack of overall awareness of the content/itemization/statistical issues that got put on the back burner to ship this thing out.
Considering you haven't gotten to experience the most recent changes to the physics engine, how would you know anything about how combat is currently functioning?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Play turn-based strategy games. Anything that doesn't outright suck is easily a 100 hours play.

Just. One. More. Turn...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Play turn-based strategy games. Anything that doesn't outright suck is easily a 100 hours play.

Just. One. More. Turn...
They still aren't as good as they used to be. Compare CiV to Civ4. Or Rome 2 to Medieval 2. They all look flashier but offer far less substance than the older games did. Ya you can still get 100 hours out of them, but those used to be genres that were good for far more than that.