The Elder Scrolls Online

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Once again, you have the facts confused. People were complaining about combat lag and responsiveness. I correctly pointed out that the 0.17 patch, which was supposed to address the problem, actually made it worse. There were multiple complaints about it on the closed beta forums.

Patch .171 was released and all the complaints went away. There hasn't been one complaint about combat lag and responsiveness on the closed beta forums since 11 February.

Try paying better attention to what was actually said next time around.
There is no problem with combat except when there is a problem with combat, sometimes, sorta, kinda.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There is no problem with combat except when there is a problem with combat, sometimes, sorta, kinda.
The only problem I still have with combat is the wonky targeting. It certainly doesn't feel as unresponsive or floaty as before. In my experience anyway.

Caliane

Sure they do. They are long enough to give you a handle on skill selection, basic movement, objective completion, inventory use, the hotbar etc.

Imagine if a new player didn't have to do those first 10 hours?
It took you 10 hours to learn that?

I'll give you the first island at like level 4.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only problem I still have with combat is the wonky targeting. It certainly doesn't feel as unresponsive or floaty as before. In my experience anyway.
Pretty much. Not pushing the patch that fixes that to the weekend testers was stupid.

I

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What are the criteria for determining if a MMO has a "soul"? Is there a industry standard that has consensus agreement or are the criteria individually subjective?
Obviously highly subjective based on sub topic. But I will illustrate some sub-topics that I think are more objective that definitely hurt the soul of the game. Some impacting TESO, some not. I'll mark them with an Asterick if it effects TESO.

* 1) Copy/Pasted Areas to save on development costs - Repeated dungeons, using the same art assets time and time again, rinse and repeat encounter game types with different monsters.
* 2) Copy Pasted Itemization - (You get a sword at level 10, you get the same sword after a dungeon encounter at level 19 with better stats with the same art. Rinsing and repeating itself with armor)
3) Randomly generated map content in an MMORPG without a static world environment to remember.
* 4) Lack of diversity in the game play mechanics of the questing system.
* 5) Artificial feel of the world due to overuse of instancing and phasing. (Seeing players you never saw before pop into a new phase, over-world instancing, PvP world instancing/layering
* 6) In an RvR game, the lack of an ongoing always on persistent war without a timing mechanism. With a lack of * Many * static PvE world outcomes of various nature as a result of ongoing war.

Just a few off the top of my head that make games lose their substance.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Do tutorials by you tube like landmark. You are going to lose a ton of people very early with those 1 to 10 levels. Most without people to play with sick.
Ya, that's one avenue... But I don't really agree with it.

The only solution I could see is a 'fast track' system for leveling early on.

Like... The game could somehow determine your skill level early on, and adjust your xp gain rate accordingly. It could be determined by how much dmg you take completing the tutorial, how many successful dodges and blocks you perform, how quickly you complete tasks, the skills you choose... Blah blah

That way if you are a seasoned MMO vet and you blow through the tutorial content it boosts you to level 5 or something.

signati_sl

shitlord
Just to state the obvious about story lines, The Elder Scrolls is renowned for its stories and lore. I think due to that, ZOS has big shoes to fill in terms of quest dialogue and story. This also means that reading the quests and books makes perfect sense in this game even for those who don't normally do that. This makes criticism of the story not only valid but important.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I found the quests up to lvl 10 far more engaging than normal MMO quests. There were pretty much no "collect 10 bear ass" quests, they all had some goal in mind and felt more heroic. I didn't feel like a menial laborer like i do in the early levels of most MMOs.

Leveling curve is way too flat though. Ramp up the xp later on, but the first 10 levels should go quicker. They should also split up the xp on long quests. Going through 5 stages of a quest and getting nothing until the very end makes the leveling seem even slower.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I didn't find the quests themselves bad, some were pretty decent for MMO quests. It was the actual gameplay that is so lifeless and bland that it sucks the joy from anything. That and all the other dinguses running around doing the same thing you are doing

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I found the quests up to lvl 10 far more engaging than normal MMO quests. There were pretty much no "collect 10 bear ass" quests, they all had some goal in mind and felt more heroic. I didn't feel like a menial laborer like i do in the early levels of most MMOs.
What were some of your favorites? Genuinely curious.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Here's a case in point about reading in The Elder Scrolls. Okay, so you want to get on with the battle because you don't like reading. But you do like uber loot, right?

For those not logged in, links. Page 1:http://i.imgur.com/dNiPOpG.jpgPage 2:http://i.imgur.com/uf09CdH.jpg
This is kind of what I mean by soul as well. Rather than read about this, imagine having something akin to Diablo 3 where you would click on a lore button in the lower right hand of your screen and have this read to you by the writer himself, or even better, maybe a small video showing this story unravel. (It wouldn't need to take a lot of development time. Maybe a NPC in a small window going through the crafting motions) Imagine finding these books everywhere eluding to some of this loot to get the player really excited to adventure in specific areas to find it. But with a much different presentation. These are things that definitely take resources, but these small touches are what makes the soul of a game and in this case, could have really been special to TESO. They are fairly easy to implement as well.

signati_sl

shitlord
You have a damn good point there, Ut. A little polish like that could make the difference for the story in this game, but it could also create the expectation that the same will be done in future single player titles in the franchise. I'm willing to bet that it was a development resource management thing rather than IP limitation, but I hope that someone at ZOS reads here and notices your ideas.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Why would they rearrange content for the WoW PvP type players? The guys that can't handle that hard 7 hours to get to content they like? So, that they can then complain about the game being an everything for everyone game while they push for exactly that kind of game? The complaint that PvE for 7 hours is just too much is hilarious. That's the first sign you really don't like the game or just can't handle a bit of 'inconvenience. So, why are you buying it?

Caliane

This is kind of what I mean by soul as well. Rather than read about this, imagine having something akin to Diablo 3 where you would click on a lore button in the lower right hand of your screen and have this read to you by the writer himself, or even better, maybe a small video showing this story unravel. (It wouldn't need to take a lot of development time. Maybe a NPC in a small window going through the crafting motions) Imagine finding these books everywhere eluding to some of this loot to get the player really excited to adventure in specific areas to find it. But with a much different presentation. These are things that definitely take resources, but these small touches are what makes the soul of a game and in this case, could have really been special to TESO. They are fairly easy to implement as well.
eh... I don't know about a video or someone reading things. That sounds like that stupid and annoying talk to the prophet in the cave, where he gives a vision of the companions unleashing Malog Bal because they were all apparently retarded, and helped the "obviously evil" guy.

on the other hand. what WAS nice.

Again daggerfall.
In the Wryd sister area there is a house.
Chillhouse or something its called.
There is a Breton inside hiding from the locals. As the cultist are Bretons and hes afraid they will think he is too. in fact his dad WAS.
but, there is also a note. with some flavor text about the house having a cold draft that is inexplicable.
And there is a trap door into the basement.

Down there is a cave, pool of water, and some crafting tables. Which let you craft the deathwind set on them.

That does tell a story. And that is a GREAT way to make sets, unique items, etc.

signati_sl

shitlord
I went years in EQ unable to hit the endgame due to obligations in the real world. Waiting seven hours to do what you want in a MMO is hilarious to me. I'd say that type should just stick to single player games and use cheat mods.

edit: Misread as "Chillihouse," and now I'm hungry for Breton chilli that doesn't exist. Damnit.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why would they rearrange content for the WoW PvP type players? The guys that can't handle that hard 7 hours to get to content they like? So, that they can then complain about the game being an everything for everyone game while they push for exactly that kind of game? The complaint that PvE for 7 hours is just too much is hilarious. That's the first sign you really don't like the game or just can't handle a bit of 'inconvenience. So, why are you buying it?
Honestly, I think you would have a good point if it weren't for the fact that there are three distinct play mechanisms (A 4th when adventure zones are introduced) and with a theme park MMORPG it should be accessible from the start. RIFT had Rift Invasions that were available from level 1. They were cool, and people wanted to do them. Trion didn't make this a gated content issue and said they had to go through levels 1-10 first, they opened it up and if you wanted to purely just level off these you really could have. The same with PvP and other game play types. Really the only gated content at that point then would have been dungeons, raids, and adventure zones starting at level 45 (After whatever patch it is they introduced those) but then they also just made that available as well. Rift had it's own problems, but opening up all the various ways to play the game to progress how * you * want to wasn't a fault there.

What I am saying is you shouldn't have to level a certain game-play type to get to another when that game-play type promotes level progression as well. Especially when one seems to be a lot more engaging (From the posts on this forum)

I think a lot of people are getting confused with progression to get to another play type, and progression to get to content * within * the game type. The latter is fine. The previous in my opinion, is not. Let the players choose how they want to play.