The Elder Scrolls Online

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think the ease of doing this will be a huge factor in preventing boredom for many guilds. Though it's less fulfilling about defending a random server's land than defending your own. There's nothing like putting your back to the keep that holds your flag and seeing an enemy force approaching that has three times the number of yours.
Unless those people are ahead in the PvE curve.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think the ease of doing this will be a huge factor in preventing boredom for many guilds. Though it's less fulfilling about defending a random server's land than defending your own. There's nothing like putting your back to the keep that holds your flag and seeing an enemy force approaching that has three times the number of yours.
That feel when you get emperor the first week, then everyone concedes the continent. No more large AP gains, No new emperors, leaderboards stagnate. You're forced to guest for entertainment which does nothing for your race to emperor/leaderboard position.

It's cool though, atleast cold harbour is getting worked on.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken here.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wrote off the entire emperor aspect as soon as I found out they're copying vanilla WoW's awful and stupid PVP system where the biggest poopsocker wins. I'm all about working hard as part of a team to earn victory for the team. Competing against people in my team for my own personal achievement does nothing for me.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I wrote off the entire emperor aspect as soon as I found out they're copying vanilla WoW's awful and stupid PVP system where the biggest poopsocker wins. I'm all about working hard as part of a team to earn victory for the team. Competing against people in my team for my own personal achievement does nothing for me.
I get where you're coming from, however:
The point I was getting at is to get everyone on your team Emperor at least once, for the "Previously Emperor" Passive modifiers.

Is this not a thing?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The point I was getting at is to get everyone on your team Emperor at least once, for the "Previously Emperor" Passive modifiers.

Is this not a thing?
It'll be like every other secondary goal. If we can accomplish it without impeding our primary objective of winning we'll work to do it. Hopefully there's some way for a large group of people to game the system and funnel their points into one player so the people responsible for conquering Cyrodiil get to claim the title instead of Johnny Fucking Headshot.

It'd be like if in the aftermath of Roberts Rebellion you have a bunch of dead Targyreans killed at the hands of the Baratheons, Tullys and Starks, and then some cretin named Joe Snow who worked tirelessly for months to kill peasants around Dragonstone shows up and says, "Oh it says here on this record that I got more points from killing villagers than you guys did conquering King's Landing. I guess that makes me king eh?".

We had this problem in WoW where the 'honor' system came out and we'd go and literally conquer an enemy faction city. We'd remain there for a couple hours to let the enemy knows what's what and later we'd check our points and see that a solo rogue ganking people in BRM earned more 'honor' than we did.

Plus anytime you only get points from capturing territory and lose nothing when you lose territory you motivate players to avoid defense and avoid conflict. The worst case scenario is when you have three zergs of players in each faction rotating clockwise around the map continuously PVDooring keeps and getting that sweet sweet reward for conquering. No one fighting each other, no one attempting to win, just everything maximizing the reward from the point-centric game.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Is this not a thing?
It helps overall but I don't like the aspect of it. It's pretty much wow pvp ranks , whoever spends the most time playing gets it. Hell the last pvp weekend the rank 1 guy in my campaign was talking about having only slept a couple hours over the 3 days and yet he still had 2-3 other people close to him. So it's going to take a character to be on almost 24/7 and always doing pvp and always in a zerg just trading bases.

I don't see myself coming even close.

Maybe they could put in a guild version, with slightly lesser bonuses or make conquering Cyro give something else(exclusive access to pve content on the map, maybe a dungeon, something).

Vitality

HUSTLE
nedstarkunphased.jpg
MFKING SPOILERS - not reading. Point taken though. Frustration with aggregate leaderboard noted.

Door whoring happened on DAOC Origins week 1, RR5's in the first week. Commence 8 guys claiming whole regions, relics flipping like pancakes. etc.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
You get to choose your own Home campaign. Guilds will have to inform their members which campaign to select.
That leaves a pretty wide open gap there. How many people are allowed per campaign and faction? Why not filter and move campaign winners so they fight each other?

I really hope we don't see the Midgard effect happen. Those from DAOC will know what I'm talking about.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeaaaah dony rush!

For those that don't know this is difficult to pull off because:
1. You have to do it very quickly and very secretly. If we took just a minute or two longer or the enemy was more prepared it would look more like this:

2. To do it quickly you need to have a chain of mesmers (like 6+) all coordinated and ready. They also need to be hidden or away from the enemy (hard when you have to portal behind enemy lines). If even one mesmer fails or dies you turn a 3 minute victory into an embarrasing defeat.

3. To do it secretly you need to distract the enemy force by causing them to fight away from their base, which is harder than it sounds. If even one enemy sees a golem or a mesmer portal the whole thing will fail.

4. To have an organized golem force you need to withdraw 11+ players for an extended period of time. This means your main force is weaker and you'll start losing battles.

5. The golems themselves take a lot of gold and supplies to build. The failed video above cost hundreds of man hours worth of gold and a immense amount of supplies that, in a competitive fight, could be used elsewhere.

6. To beat the door down that fast you need and organized buffing cycle on the golems and people need to not stand next to the golems (because of a buff limit on some critical buffs)

This wasn't the one I remember though. The best one happened in EB where we stormed from SM to blue team's keep. It's better because it's EB and the mesmer ports seemed faster, I remember going from being in SM to owning blue's keep in 2m18s.

signati_sl

shitlord
That's not necessarily true. In the Pact this last session, somebody had 118k AP on the emperor board (reset every campaign) in 2 to 3 hours of the server opening.

There are three possibilities.

1. The developers buffed someone's AP to keep testers from getting emperor (unlikely).

2. Some kind of exploit is involved (likely).

3. Quest sharing (possible, more below).

The mission boards provide quests to scout or take different real estate, but only one can be assigned to one player directly from the board. Different targets are assigned to different players though, and if you're doing PvP you're certainly going *somewhere*. So, have the guild all grab quests and share them *all*. The goal is to end up with a quest scouting and targeting every location on the map while repeatedly taking the "Kill 20 Enemy Players" quest and keeping the scout/take quests fresh. If a guild determines they will contribute toward a specific person becoming emperor, then one person never turns in their scout/take quests. They keep them to share the location's quest again when their chosen emperor turns it in (and others if the leaderboard is to be dominated).

Example: You get a Blue Road Keep quest shared to you by me, we take Blue Road Keep, you turn it in. I don't. I share it to you again. Twenty minutes later, the Pact has retaken BRK and we have taken it back again. Repeat the same process.

The only reason that I think that number 3 is less likely than an exploit is that those scout/take quests only award 200 to 300 AP a pop while the "Kill 20 Enemy Players" awards 1000. So, that person with 118k AP would have had to get 2,360 player kills in 2 to 3 hoursor scout/take 393 to 590 locations. It's possible, but not very likely when the servers were just warming up. To get that many kills, someone would have to be a beast on the field, totally undefeatable, and they would be noticed. *Nobody* was noticed kicking that much butt. To scout that many, they'd have to be so fast they'd be a blur. Nobody moves that fast. To take that many... Well, that didn't happen.

If my suspicion is right and it's an exploit, then I hope like hell that ZOS zeroes in on it. The session before this last one, others were mentioning how someone at the top of the emp board shot up 40k AP in five minutes. Something's fucky.

edit: fixed my maths; just woke up

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Probably a waste of time to try and reason with you but here goes.

#1. They are caves and all caves look similar. That is something I can deal with.
science-L-K3EJVg.jpeg
1880_S_caves-1.jpg
lava-tube-cave_1036_600x450.jpg

Matt Firor_sl said:
Firor said: ?At this point in the evolution of MMOs, every MMO has tried something at one point or another that you?re going to do in your game. There aren?t any more truly innovative features.?
Like Chieftain, like indian.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's not necessarily true. In the Pact this last session, somebody had 118k AP on the emperor board (reset every campaign) in 2 to 3 hours of the server opening.

There are three possibilities.

1. The developers buffed someone's AP to keep testers from getting emperor (unlikely).

2. Some kind of exploit is involved (likely).

3. Quest sharing (possible, more below).
Those are some good ideas. Hopefully we can find a way to boost someone. We would never exploit though, that's a pretty firm rule for PRX.

Caliane

Firor:At this point in the evolution of MMOs, every MMO has tried something at one point or another that you?re going to do in your game. There aren?t any more truly innovative features.?
Like Chieftain, like indian.
ffs, that quote, every time...
Tuco, can we get an mmo hall of fame or something for that Firor vid.

signati_sl

shitlord
I'm sure PRX wouldn't; it's cheap. But if someone is (considering the 2k+ kills, 2-3 hundred scouts/captures required for that 118k in 2-3 hours), then it renders emperor totally moot for others. I really hope I'm wrong about that and those numbers can be pumped out by a good raid. 2k+ kills for a raid? Possible. But there wasn't enough traffic yet for that to happen when it did.

The fog of sleep is still clearing, so excuse any derpiness for a moment. 24 people in a raid, comes out to a little more than 0.819 kills per minute (assuming the two hour mark for the 118k). So, about a kill every minute, per member to pump out those numbers. It's possible with a beastly raid force, especially with proper teamwork. Just highly unlikely that actually happened that particular morning.

So, exploits are a bigger concern than poopsockers, especially if PRX can keep heals and CC going properly since most PvP raids are dumb zergs. If exploits are being used, I'd hope that ZOS will be quick to nail those sonsawatchyamouth fast.

edit: The above kill rates actually need to be higher to factor in travel to the boards, but I haven't even timed that during stress tests. Kind of pointless in that environment.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
ffs, that quote, every time...
Tuco, can we get an mmo hall of fame or something for that Firor vid.
The problem is people aren't listening to the entire quote and in it's proper context.
His point was innovation is not as important as fun.

I think there's room for both, but at the same time Asherons Call 2 pretty much proved innovation does not sell.

Also, for those looking, PVP with PRX is tight and fun. I enjoyed the hell out of playing with them on both Andred (DAOC FFA) and in GW2. The problem with both of those games is the PVP really wasn't built to keep people engaged. I like some of what I see in this game, but I was the guy cheerleading AOC as the answer to PVP, so I'll err on the side of caution.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The problem is people aren't listening to the entire quote and in it's proper context.
His point was innovation is not as important as fun.

I think there's room for both, but at the same time Asherons Call 2 pretty much proved innovation does not sell.
Asheron's Call 2 didn't sell because the chat system was broken for 3 months and no one could speak to each other. It also had horrible bugs and content issues. Exploitation was rampant as a result as well. It wasn't the innovation that caused it not to tell. It was a lack of what every game needs that caused it not to sell. This was more Microsoft's fault than Turbine however. They forced it out the door too soon. The game was developed in 18 months.

Innovation sells. In fact, it sells a lot. Most all popular IP's from Resident Evil, Mario 64 (3D transition), Medal Gear Solid, to Portal. The thing behind them is that they are all easy to play games that you can just get in and start having fun with. When barriers come in say, AC2 and the MMORPG scope where you cannot chat for 3 months with other players when that has been an easy to use feature since the AD&D Gold Box AOL Neverwinter Nights in 1991, that's not because of innovation, it's because someone is an idiot. If anyone said it was too innovative, it's coming from someone involved in the design process using that as a scapegoat for the plethora of issues from a horribly managed production.