The Elder Scrolls Online

Menion_sl

shitlord
This actually seems the fastest way to level, mixed in with the main line when it's working from what I can tell. They have plenty of mobs and they drop a whole lot better items than the quests reward anyways. Plus less running around, just park in a dungeon/cave and kill away.

I like story so I went that route but for this game, your strat is far better/faster.
Keep in mind that if you do this you aren't getting skyshards or lore books (mage guild XP) while running around the map. So, you are either going to need to do those later or fall behind.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
It was no surprise to anyone that Vanguard was garbage at release.
Rewriting history is fun.
rolleyes.png

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Keep in mind that if you do this you aren't getting skyshards or lore books (mage guild XP) while running around the map. So, you are either going to need to do those later or fall behind.
Yeah when the game officially launches people may want to take the time to pick up skyshards and not just grind it out for days. For the beta though if your goal is to test the pvp I'd suggest doing what Vit did. Questing feels faster than last build, but its still boring and slower than grinding.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
what makes you think staves are sorcerers main class items?

that said.... I myself even asserted there should be a new quest added, after the tutorial intro, which walks you through picking out a new weapon.
Removing the choice from the tutorial. good idea. not replacing it with another at a later point. not a good idea.

Part of the problem is just that, players do not understand any class can use any weapon, or armor. you can in fact totally make a DW sorc. or staff night blade. The skills are not mutually exclusive.
you can make a nightblade in cloth armor, and a staff.

Staves do use magicka. the physical weapons use stamina.
Cloth armor gives magicka bonuses.
All class skills use magicka. sorc, nightblade, templar, and dragonknight.

Would nightblades using siphoning to TANK with heavy armor and shield be the best tanks?
or what would they even be like using a resto staff, or destro staff? Draining life, and magicka.
This notes part of the paradox this and every game faces. Lots of folks say: "Same themepark" because its too much like previous games. Yet, where they differ from the genre standards established now by WoW, lots of people complain as well: "Why can't my buffs all be in a window in the upper right?". Anyone using any equipment is just tough for people to get their minds around.

And all of the previous places I saw blockages, I don't have those any more with any character; not saying there aren't issues with that, just that I didn't see them on any of my now 5 characters levels 8 to 10 in the various alliances. The places were I did see that, logging in and out was able to solve my issues.

Definitely going to play in AD at launch to play with PRX some, if they will have me, and may do a Daggerfall alt. for the story. One of which will Sorc and the other Templar, not sure which one I want to main yet.

And while I appreciate Ut being Ut, I am not going to not play a game I enjoy to make a point. Have fun storming the castle, though.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
This. It's basically two hours you can't get back.

Sure you can 'do it later', but if you want to do it right from jump, why can't you? It's supposed to be about choice. At least they should tell people why they aren't letting you do that.. someone buying the game and going through that will wonder about it too. Sure alpha/beta people from before know why they did it (I guess) and 'later' you can save 600 gold to buy a staff or clothes, or know how to craft one without spending 2 hours gathering mats and figuring it out, but most people won't.

The only reason I wasted a couple more hours doing quests instead of crafting or farming for money to buy one, was because I assumed that the turn-ins were going to have choices at the end of the reward for weapons or items. Instead, do a questline and.. get a dagger. Or a heavy armor. Or a mace. So you still spend more time leveling things you don't want. Again, if this is a known thing I'd just go straight for the mob farming, craft and fuck questing. I know how to do that already.

I understand (To Cal's post) that any class can use any weapon. That's not the issue. The issue is I want to play Sorcerer WITH a staff. I'm not really interested in a sorcerer who can wear plate, tank, fly and make Lobster quiche. I just want a basic nuker with some variations that I'll decide on later on in the game but it would have been nice to make the archetype right out of the gate.

Sure the class system is a buffet, but even when I go to a buffet, I don't really like to mix eggrolls, tacos and mashed potatoes together, just because the guy next to me says it tastes good to him. Just saying, don't understand why you're forced to spend a couple of hours putting points into weapons like a dagger when I have no intention at all to put that into what I want to make, that's all.
Yep, plus I noticed they drop the ring you got from completing cold harbor in favor of a loot bag that is random......my mage got heavy armor and a greatsword.....woooo

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yep, plus I noticed they drop the ring you got from completing cold harbor in favor of a loot bag that is random......my mage got heavy armor and a greatsword.....woooo
Which is exactly what I use on my Sorc, along with a bow.

The game improved for me very much when I stopped waiting for it to give me drops I wanted in particular and made the stuff I wanted for myself. ESO doesn't tail those things to your class, since your class can do anything you want with it. Just craft a staff, which in many cases will be better than a drop (some enchantments not included but you can learn those yourself) and start greatswording/bowing/staving things. The tutorial change in regards to weapons isn't good, although the new tutorial is much better than it was, inso much as there are way less mobs.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are going to have a lot of unhappy people if they don't figure out why some instances get bugged quest and forces people to relog until they get a working one.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Which is exactly what I use on my Sorc, along with a bow.

The game improved for me very much when I stopped waiting for it to give me drops I wanted in particular and made the stuff I wanted for myself. ESO doesn't tail those things to your class, since your class can do anything you want with it. Just craft a staff, which in many cases will be better than a drop (some enchantments not included but you can learn those yourself) and start greatswording/bowing/staving things. The tutorial change in regards to weapons isn't good, although the new tutorial is much better than it was, inso much as there are way less mobs.
Yes, but they could have also easily left the weapons racks and let you pick what you wanted as well. Or I don't know have a weapons vendor in the starting town that sells each weapon type at a level 3 quality for cheap. Making players (Especially those who haven't played the game before) jump through hoops to start leveling their weapon of choice is idiotic!

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I cant belive the amount of broken quests in the 1-10 areas, and as a added bonus I get to free-fall though the world 1/10 of the times I try to go down stairs.

Is this a server issue, or is the regular beta the same? Been playing over the day with some friends on the EU server but the time we spend trying to find out what quests actually work and which to avoid is getting stale.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Yes, but they could have also easily left the weapons racks and let you pick what you wanted as well. Or I don't know have a weapons vendor in the starting town that sells each weapon type at a level 3 quality for cheap. Making players (Especially those who haven't played the game before) jump through hoops to start leveling their weapon of choice is idiotic!
Pretty much this. Not letting your thief have his rusty dagger , your mage his crappy first wooden broomstick staff , or the rusty bastard sword for warriors off the bat is a moronic decision.

Even if a minor inconvenience it does beg the question why would they do such a stupid thing and if they are going to do other seemingly silly things along the way.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I cant belive the amount of broken quests in the 1-10 areas, and as a added bonus I get to free-fall though the world 1/10 of the times I try to go down stairs.

Is this a server issue, or is the regular beta the same? Been playing over the day with some friends on the EU server but the time we spend trying to find out what quests actually work and which to avoid is getting stale.
Seems to be a server issue with spawning so many instances. Because you can relog and find a working instance for almost every bugged quest I have come upon.

Also seems to get worse the more and more people get on or go through the content. I had like 2 or 3 on the character I made friday morning to test a build.

Made another today at noon to try something else and I have ran into at least 3x that so far, just up to level 10.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So Cinge and others that have played the weekend beta's much , you leaning toward this possibly being worse than normal launch issues because of the mega server bit ?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
This notes part of the paradox this and every game faces. Lots of folks say: "Same themepark" because its too much like previous games. Yet, where they differ from the genre standards established now by WoW, lots of people complain as well: "Why can't my buffs all be in a window in the upper right?". Anyone using any equipment is just tough for people to get their minds around.
Please they are forcing their bull shit decisions and that is what is pissing people off. They essentially think you're so stupid that if they don't force your mage to go 2h you won't do it. So they removed the option which is par for the course for this game.

In addition, they copied the generic WoW leveling formula (one that people are sick to death of) which is a huge departure from what one would expect in a Elder Scrolls game. Then when people complained in beta they decided to butcher the UI just so it "looked" different.

People thought they could fix all this crap with mods. Then they clamped down on that. You must play the game ZOS wants you to play. They want it that way because they know if you change your UI to be functional you will have more information than people that don't and have an advantage. So instead of allowing everyone to have a functional UI and turn off the shit they don't want or like everyone has to go without. Completely retarded.

There was nothing wrong with having the weapon racks at the start. They should just make you loot all the weapons, auto equip what they want you to start with and give people the option to change it if they want to.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Cinge and others that have played the weekend beta's much , you leaning toward this possibly being worse than normal launch issues because of the mega server bit ?
It seems like it. It feels like its getting worse and worse as the weekend goes on. Encountering a lot more bugged quest on a new character(one wasn't fixable at all my relogging). Even ran into a dark anchor permanently stuck on because the last little objective couldn't be used and even funnier the mundus stone near it wasn't working.

Maybe get lucky and it wont be a issue because the server will crash or be re-booted a lot and it will reset all these things.

Though its looking more and more like I might have to hardcore as much as I can during the 5 day headstart to get away from the zerg and the problems it seems to cause.

Edit:

Found a reason for things like gutripper nerfed. Was talking in zone about how he is so easy now and was nerfed. Guy responds " of course he was, people use to die to him. You had to be level 10 or higher to kill him". /sadface

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
My third Beta weekend and I seriously couldn't play it more then a night. I ran into 2 broken quests in a matter of 45 minutes.The game offers nothing new.

I find the cheesy sudden rifts a real "RIFT" rip off. (not that that game offered much either)

No xp for kills leaves a huge xp hole so that if your questline is broken/bugged you're SOL. I found myself lvl 15 doing lvl 18 to 20 quests the only challenge the game offers really.

Overall I feel sorry for the shmucks riding their horses almost as much as the "Shroud of the Avatar" folks with their kickstarter $12000 castles and no game to speak of.

My prediction is this game will be FTP in less than 6 months and Bethesda will get back to their bread and butter the single player RPG.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

This reminds me of RIFT's expansion. Weeks after it hit, some of the mandatory story line quests would stay bugged out, pretty much halting your advancement until a GM intervened weeks later :p Then you had the main storyline quest just....end, with no closure whatsoever. It was so abrupt I seriously thought my character was bugged again. Has anyone tested out the higher level content yet, or are they hiding it in a 'miracle patch'?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My third Beta weekend and I seriously couldn't play it more then a night. I ran into 2 broken quests in a matter of 45 minutes.The game offers nothing new.

I find the cheesy sudden rifts a real "RIFT" rip off. (not that that game offered much either)

No xp for kills leaves a huge xp hole so that if your questline is broken/bugged you're SOL. I found myself lvl 15 doing lvl 18 to 20 quests the only challenge the game offers really.

Overall I feel sorry for the shmucks riding their horses almost as much as the "Shroud of the Avatar" folks with their kickstarter $12000 castles and no game to speak of.

My prediction is this game will be FTP in less than 6 months and Bethesda will get back to their bread and butter the single player RPG.
Just to correct one thing. You do get exp for kills.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Then xp is pretty minimal because I never notice xp unless I do a quest. Can you toggle xp in combat mode?
Not sure what you mean on the latter. But It's not too bad. Like character right now is level 7 and its 50-60 exp a kill, I think quest atm give like 1kish(will have to check).

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
Was looking for something that toggled the xp gain from mobs. Yes you do get xp I just found out but nothing I have found to really grind on for xp.I asked about xp in zone a few weeks back and the folks told me no xp on kills so maybe they just added or 8 people were messn with me.