The Elder Scrolls Online

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
ZOS_sl said:
"Thank you for participating in The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Test on Friday, March 14th. Keep an eye on your email box for invitations to further test sessions.

Please take a few minutes and fill out this short survey and give us your feedback.

Thanks again, and welcome to The Elder Scrolls Online!"
I thought about filling it out, but I don't have confidence they'd actually listen. Since I'm not part of the foaming, rabid mob who was complaining about the API on their forums weeks ago I probably don't have any street cred there. The company strikes me as a 'mob rule' kind of place but they really need to make sure they are going to listen to the right mob.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm definitely interested in playing this game. I am not in beta. I'm hoping Steam will let me just download it since that will be easier.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm definitely interested in playing this game. I am not in beta. I'm hoping Steam will let me just download it since that will be easier.
Everything else Bethsoft is there, so eventually this will be. That said I'm sure they don't want to tithe Valve for their flagship MMO's release. Once the initial rush dies down, I'm sure it'll be there just like Rift and SOE games.

One can always add the game to their Steam library, and still launch it from there.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'll take your guys word for it. I never got into WOW, but I hear stories about fucking godawful UI mods that basically play the game for you.
Then go play it so you know what the fuck you are talking about because the mods don't play the game for you and they never have.

Jesus Fuck quit shilling.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I agree with this - my group's healer isn't really happy. He's badass, though, so he'll adapt. Would be nice if they give more info about groupmates at least.
Yes it would also be nice if they pull their head out of their ass and bring the UI mods back, but that is the least of their worries. I often sit here and wonder if this is a distraction for everyone cancelling their preorders since their server tech fucking SUCKS. "Lets get them to talk about something else besides logging into the game. Who has the next smoke screen. We have money to recoup on Paul Sage's epic fucking disaster."

khalid

Unelected Mod
Then go play it so you know what the fuck you are talking about
Blackwulf, listen to this advice. I've tended to agree with many of the things you post in this thread, but understanding WoW is actually pretty critical to being able to discuss modern MMOs. Certainly if you believe that there exist mods that play the game for you in WoW, then you are seriously misinformed.

Blackwulf

N00b
Yes it would be nice for info since they launch in 8 fucking days. It would also be nice if they pull their head out of their ass and bring the UI mods back, but that is the least of their worries. I often sit here and wonder if this is a distraction for everyone cancelling their preorders since their server tech fucking SUCKS. "Lets get them to talk about something else besides logging into the game. Who has the next smoke screen. We have money to recoup on Paul Sage's epic fucking disaster."
Relax bro, you aren't even gonna play. Quit shilling.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Relax bro, you aren't even gonna play. Quit shilling.
Go play WoW and pull your head out of your ass. There is a free trial and you don't have to pay for shit. You can go to Curse and see all the mods there that don't play the game for you (At all) so you can think of a horrendous new scapegoat about how great it is that TESO doesn't have mods so it requires more skill.
rolleyes.png

You should be more concerned if the game fucking works. Which it doesn't. And won't. For Christ knows how long. If I were you, since you are buying it and playing it, I would be more concerned about being able to log into their new instance overflow server that is supposed to allow you to continue on progressing within the game and copy it over to a server that is supposed to be a megaserver but nothing of the sort, which is completely untested/supported in the wild. What a clusterfuck that is going to be.

TL;DR: Their fix is going to be offloading 40% of the load to various instances so you can progress in quests, by yourself without a guild and no friends list, so you can be copied over (This will likely be an hour or two per session) at some point so you can actually have an MMORPG back. That is their fix.

I mean holy shit.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I thought about filling it out, but I don't have confidence they'd actually listen. Since I'm not part of the foaming, rabid mob who was complaining about the API on their forums weeks ago I probably don't have any street cred there. The company strikes me as a 'mob rule' kind of place but they really need to make sure they are going to listen to the right mob.
FYI the large majority of closed beta testers were strongly against the API changes. ZOS definately didn't listen to us.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I seem to remember mods in early WOW that did things like flash incoming mob ability warnings in big ass letters on my screen... Or warned me who to cleanse... Or told you when to tranq shot etc etc

Those things certainly made the game much easier.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Then go play it so you know what the fuck you are talking about because the mods don't play the game for you and they never have.

You must have never heard about the original Decursive addon. That addon forced Blizzard to redesign the WoW API. There were other healing oriented addons the names I can't remember that made healing super simple. Deadly Boss Mod didn't play the game for you but it certainly told you what to do and when to do it.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Then go play it so you know what the fuck you are talking aboutbecause the mods don't play the game for youand they never have.

Deadly Boss Mod didn't play the game for you butit certainly told you what to do and when to do it.
I never understand why when someone tries to rebut a statement, they tend to admit that the very statement they are rebutting is actually true in the first place and then throw a 'but' in there as if it's okay to discount that truth.

You could have just said "Ut is right".

There's a ton of WoW mods that "Play the game for you". DBM, class mods, etc.. No, they will not literally allow you to step away from the keyboard, but they pretty much give you, in big flashing audible step-by-step fisher-price directions "DO THIS NOW", "MOVE HERE", "PRESS THIS BUTTON IN 5,4,3,2,1..." Its kind of ridiculous. ESO went a bit too far on the API restrictions but I'm glad shit like that won't be in game. And yes, as a WoW raider, we've used all those addons, shit it even used to be compulsory when we were doing any serious progression.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
There's a ton of WoW mods that "Play the game for you". DBM, class mods, etc.. No, they will not literally allow you to step away from the keyboard, but they pretty much give you, in big flashing audible step-by-step fisher-price directions "DO THIS NOW", "MOVE HERE", "PRESS THIS BUTTON IN 5,4,3,2,1..." Its kind of ridiculous. ESO went a bit too far on the API restrictions but I'm glad shit like that won't be in game. And yes, as a WoW raider, we've used all those addons, shit it even used to be compulsory when we were doing any serious progression.
Oy vey.

Add-ons do NOT play the game FOR you.

Macros play the game for you.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I never understand why when someone tries to rebut a statement, they tend to admit that the very statement they are rebutting is actually true in the first place and then throw a 'but' in there as if it's okay to discount that truth.

You could have just said "Ut is right".
He wasn't right though. The original WoW API was the exact opposite of TESO. It was wide open and allowed all kinds of functionality that essentially played the game for you, especially in regards to healing and curing poisons, removing curses etc. Did you purposely ignore the part of my post about Decursive and how it forced Blizzard to redesign their API?

I healed in a raid guild through Wrath. Healing mods made healing much more doable in 25 man raids and god I wish Healbot, Decursive and Deadly Boss Mob functionality was built into every game. I dread any kind of healing that I cannot use mousover and macroing up my mouse to different heals and cleanses. I think the UI in TESO as it stands is going to make people less likely to want to take on the stress of healing.

I also think TESO's healing model is a little less dependent on seeing who is hurt and by what because you don't have as much fine control over who to heal anyway and combat is action oriented. I also think everyone is going to be expected to have some self healing.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
He wasn't right though. The original WoW API was the exact opposite of TESO. It was wide open and allowed all kinds of functionality that essentially played the game for you, especially in regards to healing and curing poisons, removing curses etc. Did you purposely ignore the part of my post about Decursive and how it forced Blizzard to redesign their API?
If you want to be semantical, you are happy to do that. You agreed that the mods don't play the game for you. YOUR words. Throwing a 'but' on the end doesn't quantify your agreement of that.

And as I said after, addons do not play a game for you which is the point. No one could ever prove that.

However, if you had a problem with a Rift style "Press one button and tank a boss" macro 'playing the game for you'.. I'd agree. But make no mistake, you know Ut is right but it's killing you to agree with that point because you two got history here.