The Elder Scrolls Online

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I never understand why when someone tries to rebut a statement, they tend to admit that the very statement they are rebutting is actually true in the first place and then throw a 'but' in there as if it's okay to discount that truth.

You could have just said "Ut is right".
Here is another thing he is missing. I could design an entire encounter, boss, script, raid around those same mods knowing they were in and could make shit more challenging. The simple trick is to let someone know they have power over their UI, see what's popular, either incorporate it into a UI, and/or design around it. And even then, with Thad in Naxx, people still always and continually fucked up their positive / negative charges and it was hilarious to watch.

So no. I don't care if the game screams out at you that you are standing in a gigantic pile of shit and you need to move, and when you don't, a tornado siren goes off in the neighborhood; because I just fucked your day up by making sure something else was happening that the mod was telling you at the same time.

Try teaching someone not to fuck up Safety Dance with Deadly Boss Mods back when 216 was top tier.

Here you go Res:

- Safety Dance - YouTube

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Decursive was the best add-on ever. I think it still works to this day if you manage to have the old script. The mods don't play the game for you in a sense that you are still actively doing everything. They will give you warnings, though. As Jackdaddio said, macros play the game for you. Think of FFXII where you could make a gambit for everything and the game would do whatever you wanted while you were away.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Are some of you autistic or something? Nobody is arguing that mods press the actual buttons for you and put your character on autopilot. Jesus fucking Christ.

Part of 'playing' the game is executing your abilities while retaining a high degree of situational awareness. MANY mods in early WoW trivialized the need for situational awareness.

This is really not debatable at all.

Are some of you autistic or something? Nobody is arguing that mods press the actual buttons for you and put your character on autopilot. Jesus fucking Christ.

Part of 'playing' the game is executing your abilities while retaining a high degree of situational awareness. MANY mods in early WoW trivialized the need for situational awareness.

I played and raided then. Not sure what you mean by being able to have situational awareness. I am running through encounters in my head and they generally required movement and saying out of ground aoes. Decursive helped with that (cleansing idiots that stood in crap) but you'd still wipe if enough people were dumb.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

And did you know that was by design because it made the game more user friendly, viral, and ultimately, fun to design around when players made cool mods like they did? You can't stop it unless the design leadership team is full of douche bags and throw their game into the 90's like Paul Sage just did because of their short sightedness. Good companies decide to ride it out and design around it, because it makes both parties happy. You do know this was exactly what happened with WoW correct?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
And did you know that was by design because it made the game more user friendly, viral, and ultimately, fun to design around when players made cool mods like they did? You can't stop it unless the design team is full of douche bags and throw their game into the 90's like Paul Sage just did because of their short sightedness. Good companies decide to ride it out and design around it, because it makes both parties happy. You do know this was exactly what happened with WoW correct?
Oh don't get me wrong man, I'm all for moddable UI... In general the more freedom players have, the better. I just had to pipe up about the weird semantic argument going on.

Blackwulf

N00b
There's a ton of WoW mods that "Play the game for you". DBM, class mods, etc.. No, they will not literally allow you to step away from the keyboard, but they pretty much give you, in big flashing audible step-by-step fisher-price directions "DO THIS NOW", "MOVE HERE", "PRESS THIS BUTTON IN 5,4,3,2,1..." Its kind of ridiculous. ESO went a bit too far on the API restrictions but I'm glad shit like that won't be in game. And yes, as a WoW raider, we've used all those addons, shit it even used to be compulsory when we were doing any serious progression.
Exactly as I thought. Man, Utnayan is such a dumb shill.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh don't get me wrong man, I'm all for moddable UI... In general the more freedom players have, the better. I just had to pipe up about the weird semantic argument going on.
Oh for sure. You have people like Blackwulf coming in here stating that the game requires more skill because you may as well strap a blindfold over your eyes, turn 90 degrees to the right, and cough while trying to click a button. At least we both understand that when those tools are put in, it not only gives people more control, you have people designing the whole UI for you for fucking free. It's a genius concept. The fact they do not see this solidifies industry opinion that their upper management just stepped out from a Styx concert and into their offices with a 12 pack of Rondo.

Hell, at this point, the UI mods in WoW have become a mini game on their own. Hell, even Cursed has a business around being able to modify your LUA's seamlessly with a click of a button.

They made a fuckingbusinessout of this. And do quite well from what I am told.

Edit: Back to the point. Blackwulf, just admit it's a bullshit decision and shut the fuck up about it. Because if you try to defend it, you are no better than that little peon associate designer agreeing with everything to make sure they have a job next week even though 99% of the people in that round table discussion know better, but they all want the next 100k producer job. And the only way to get that outside of Blizzard, Valve, and a handful of other studios, is to firmly stick your tongue into Paul Sage's ass.

This is all still a fucking smokescreen for the fact the game breaks on their server tech - so let's not forget that.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
just for the record, macros dont play a game for you the same way an addon doesnt. When a macro starts playing for you, it becomes a bot.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
just for the record, macros dont play a game for you the same way an addon doesnt. When a macro starts playing for you, it becomes a bot.
They were having issues in cyrodiil where commands could auto execute using the APIs provided. Instead of using say, warden, to discover things like these they gutted the information available to the programs by murdering the APIs and any subsequent hope of a UI. It was a rushed move to say the least, but launch is launch I guess o_o.

I like ESO, I have a fun time with it, but I truly pity anyone who has to compete with blizzard in the tech game. Outside of early d3, their shit just works and works well.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I just cannot understand why some of you are so pissy about these Mod/Add-on changes. It's the same game, with or without, the mods. The UI isclassicElder Scrolls. The mods/Add-ons were doing/helping too much in the opinion of the Devs so the temporarily axed them. So what.
When I buzz the WildStar thread, I dont see UT in there railing against the faults of that game. Same for the Wow thread. It begs the question of all the haters in this thread, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Look, the straight-up naked attempts at picking off players from the game have failed. Most of the posters in this thread are very eager to play. Hell, I'd log in right now.
Its time to move on from the pre-release doom saying phase and onto talking about in-game stuff that the people who are going to play care about.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They were having issues in cyrodiil where commands could auto execute using the APIs provided. Instead of using say, warden, to discover things like these they gutted the information available to the programs by murdering the APIs and any subsequent hope of a UI. It was a rushed move to say the least, but launch is launch I guess o_o.

I like ESO, I have a fun time with it, but I truly pity anyone who has to compete with blizzard in the tech game. Outside of early d3, their shit just works and works well.
in context of the ESO release, i support it. Its essentially a pvp game until adventure zones are in and addons make a tech war between guilds rather than focusing on the gameplay of it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Let's tak a class.

Addons are generally a way to redisplay I formation that a game provides for you. There are exceptions like mass mailers, outfitters, and auto inventory sorters and junk sellers.

Macros perform a series of commands in a predetermined order and time.

Scripts or bots take advantage of both above and automate functions in the game for you.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just cannot understand why some of you are so pissy about these Mod/Add-on changes. It's the same game, with or without, the mods. The UI isclassicElder Scrolls. The mods/Add-ons were doing/helping too much in the opinion of the Devs so the temporarily axed them. So what.
When I buzz the WildStar thread, I dont see UT in there railing against the faults of that game. Same for the Wow thread. It begs the question of all the haters in this thread, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Look, the straight-up naked attempts at picking off players from the game have failed. Most of the posters in this thread are very eager to play. Hell, I'd log in right now.
Its time to move on from the pre-release doom saying phase and onto talking about in-game stuff that the people who are going to play care about.
Im pretty sure all elder scroll games had buff timers.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Let's tak a class.

Addons are generally a way to redisplay I formation that a game provides for you. There are exceptions like mass mailers, outfitters, and auto inventory sorters and junk sellers.

Macros perform a series of commands in a predetermined order and time.

Scripts or bots take advantage of both above and automate functions in the game for you.
Yup, and a lot of auto execution was occurring (scripting?) based on the information given. Instead of doing the normal thing like trying to combat botting, they simply removed any information available to both the player and the bot to act on.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider

Uh, you could see buffs / debuffs just fine in morrowind / oblivion. skyrim took an even more minimalistic approach. Also, you never really had to interact with other players before in ESO, so being able to see what other players are doing has never been a concern. The base UI is fucking terrible for a MMO, but I have hopes they'll add additional functionality later.