The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Until they figure out why they just had a database blow up and people were logging into their accounts with other people's characters.
haha yep.

Man in the middle attacks where someone exploits a flaw / stress and hijacks another's session is a non-trivial problem to fix. But for that to happen accidentally while a player is normally using the system? That's really pathetic.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ut stop being a giant fucking faggot and own your bullshit.
Own what bullshit? I lost a bet. How about you do your job and tell someone to make these giant pop up ads go away forcing people to click a banner ad they do not want to so you guys can generate revenue when the ad graphic goes away, they click on a forum link thinking they are safe, and it pops up an ad window because the ad is invisible but still active. RIO 2! (Still)

Servers up yet?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So with the downtime during early access, are they going to do what Square Enix did for FF 14 and extend the first month past the initial 30 days?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Own what bullshit? I lost a bet. How about you do your job and tell someone to make these giant pop up ads go away forcing people to click a banner ad they do not want to so you guys can generate revenue when the ad graphic goes away, they click on a forum link thinking they are safe, and it pops up an ad window because the ad is invisible but still active. RIO 2! (Still)

Servers up yet?
What bet with who did you lose?

Fully agree that Rio 2 ad is annoying.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
haha yep.

Man in the middle attacks where someone exploits a flaw / stress and hijacks another's session is a non-trivial problem to fix. But for that to happen accidentally while a player is normally using the system? That's really pathetic.
Based on what I've read, this is not a man in the middle attack or even bug, but simply dupe database entries or missing proper entity relationships. If I had to hypothetically guess, I'd say their beta/early release DB and prod DB overlapped resulting in bad keys, or worse they tried to roll back a bug and had poor DB design without referential integrity with any type of flashback technology.

This is why a company should not have programmers trying to be DBAs, and also why anything really relational is wise to have skilled database people involved, especially when launching an MMO. If you use simple pointers you end up with things like this, or the plethora of billing and other problems from companies like Funcom, Turbine, etc. This is more important for billing and auditing, but also is relevant for transactions in games.

I'd love to know how the megaserver stuff is actually doing. I had zero issues my first two days.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Hopefully they can fix the LLAAAAAAAG that I was seeing. It may be whatever MITM issue they are seeing could be the cause of that as well.
Based on what I've read, this is not a man in the middle attack or even bug, but simply dupe database entries or missing proper entity relationships. If I had to hypothetically guess, I'd say their beta/early release DB and prod DB overlapped resulting in bad keys, or worse they tried to roll back a bug and had poor DB design without referential integrity with any type of flashback technology.

This is why a company should not have programmers trying to be DBAs, and also why anything really relational is wise to have skilled database people involved, especially when launching an MMO. If you use simple pointers you end up with things like this, or the plethora of billing and other problems from companies like Funcom, Turbine, etc. This is more important for billing and auditing, but also is relevant for transactions in games.

I'd love to know how the megaserver stuff is actually doing. I had zero issues my first two days.
Is that really a thing, dev/programmers acting as DBAs? What kind of tomfoolery/shenanigans is that?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why are they treating posting on a forum like a beta invite? Shouldn't you just be able to log into your account and post? So much for that best launch ever lol.

ENough of your Wizard talk wizard... begone or we will be forced to burn you!

Why are they treating posting on a forum like a beta invite? Shouldn't you just be able to log into your account and post? So much for that best launch ever lol.
I am at work and no one can outlevel me. BETTER than best launch ever.... Launch designed just for ME!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I've always wondered how the internet still functions with ABP + ghostery (and if google would ever get a decent noscript...). I haven't seen an advertisement in years. I am the free rider <_<
I try to make up for it by giving Draegan straight cash. Premium blend ftw!

I've always wondered how the internet still functions with ABP + ghostery (and if google would ever get a decent noscript...). I haven't seen an advertisement in years. I am the free rider <_<
Haha, well Ghostery does disable a lot of shit, for example, the comments system aka "Discuss" on many websites. A simple click will load it up however, if you wish either on a one time basis or permanently per website.

I also generally don't mind enabling text ads on forums and websites that are just trying to earn a little revenue. I understand that. But big banner ads and especially obtrusive pop ups go straight to the chopping block: no trial needed; guilty by existence.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haha, well Ghostery does disable a lot of shit, for example, the comments system aka "Discuss" on many websites. A simple click will load it up however, if you wish either on a one time basis or permanently per website.

I also generally don't mind enabling text ads on forums and websites that are just trying to earn a little revenue. I understand that. But big banner ads and especially obtrusive pop ups go straight to the chopping block: no trial needed; guilty by existence.
I used to be this noble ad crusader, too, whitelisting sites I enjoyed etc. But I simply would rather not have ads period and it became tiresome trying to deal with it when sites kept changing their type of advertisements. Now I don't watch advertisements, I don't seed torrents, and I steal candy from babies. The worst kind of person.