The Elder Scrolls Online

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
So with the downtime during early access, are they going to do what Square Enix did for FF 14 and extend the first month past the initial 30 days?
That's a good bet, considering ZOS 'guaranteed' that shit was going to be 'polished'. Still giggle people swallowed that like some battered housewife.

FFXIV reimbursed people and didn't even make that kind of wild-ass claim. They really have to go above and beyond here due to that public claim they cannot walk back now. I'm sure every other gaming company put the popcorn in the microwave after that guy said that.

The funny thing is the crazy ESO diehard fans were co-signing this all two days ago as 'the smoothest launch evah in 15 years'. Now the fanboy line is'Hey, this isn't actually launch. It's pre-launch'to save face, which most any gamer (not fan) already knows. Never seen a worm turn so fast in my life on some of these forums.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Based on what I've read, this is not a man in the middle attack or even bug, but simply dupe database entries or missing proper entity relationships. If I had to hypothetically guess, I'd say their beta/early release DB and prod DB overlapped resulting in bad keys, or worse they tried to roll back a bug and had poor DB design without referential integrity with any type of flashback technology.

This is why a company should not have programmers trying to be DBAs, and also why anything really relational is wise to have skilled database people involved, especially when launching an MMO. If you use simple pointers you end up with things like this, or the plethora of billing and other problems from companies like Funcom, Turbine, etc. This is more important for billing and auditing, but also is relevant for transactions in games.

I'd love to know how the megaserver stuff is actually doing. I had zero issues my first two days.
Yeah it didn't take long in my compsci studies to realize that database programming and administration is a very specific subfield of compsci with very important considerations and I didn't want anything to do with it beyond using using a stock installation of SQL/oracle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The funny thing is the crazy ESO diehard fans were co-signing this all two days ago as 'the smoothest launch evah in 15 years'. Now the fanboy line is'Hey, this isn't actually launch. It's pre-launch'to save face, which most any gamer (not fan) already knows. Never seen a worm turn so fast in my life on some of these forums.
Sounds like revisionist history to me. The general sentiment was surprise it worked that well, but apprehension that release was yet to be seen.

But yeah, the 5 day early access and even the 3 day early access was the smoothest first day launch I've played in.

Blackwulf

N00b
On the bright side, I'm getting a lot of shit done that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't taken the server down
wink.png

Edit: Haters gonna hate!

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Jackdaddio you're trying to hard.
To have fun on 'launch day'? Nonsense sir!

That's half the giggles. Shit works, shit don't work. Pretty sure we know Friday's the fun day. More giggles to ensue.

The beauty of it is, I don't have to try hard. This is actually writing itself.. 14hrs+ by the time it's said and done?

Regarding the "Smooth launch, no really I promise" claim, I don't know how anybody could take anything Matt Firor says seriously after his initial "Nothing new in MMO's" nugget a couple years back.

Didn't stop me from buying, and enjoying the time I've had so far though.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
That's a good bet, considering ZOS 'guaranteed' that shit was going to be 'polished'. Still giggle people swallowed that like some battered housewife.

FFXIV reimbursed people and didn't even make that kind of wild-ass claim. They really have to go above and beyond here due to that public claim they cannot walk back now. I'm sure every other gaming company put the popcorn in the microwave after that guy said that.

Is your self esteem tied into this game failing?

I personally don't recall anyone here proclaiming the launch would be polished with no hiccups. Fairly certain pretty much everyone expected it to be a typical MMO launch.

What I did say is that I thought it would be extremely entertaining if the launch went significantly smoother than some of the haters here were predicting. That turned out to be 100% spot on. The #1 hater of the game bought it on day 2 after months of pleading with people not to buy it. Ive had a lot of stupid crap thrown my way since I started posting here so suffice it to say I have definitely been entertained. Can't speak for everyone else though.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Is your self esteem tied into this game failing?

I personally don't recall anyone here proclaiming the launch would be polished with no hiccups. Fairly certain pretty much everyone expected it to be a typical MMO launch.

What I did say is that I thought it would be extremely entertaining if the launch went significantly smoother than some of the haters here were predicting. That turned out to be 100% spot on. The #1 hater of the game bought it on day 2 after months of pleading with people not to buy it. Ive had a lot of stupid crap thrown my way since I started posting here so suffice it to say I have definitely been entertained. Can't speak for everyone else though.
I was quite interested in this game before I got into the beta. I told Tuco quite a bit about that, and not just for the PvP. But unfortunately, Ut had a point even though he personally didn't stick to it.

It really is a continuance of rewarding companies for wild promises and claims that I don't agree with. If the one (and only) beta I was in had been like everyone is (or was) describing yesterday, I would have been right on the wagon too laughing at Ut.

But the reality was.. it was pretty horrible. I'm not sure why people accept"hmm. just log in/out a hundred times.. that'll fix it"as some type of common gaming experience. Even if the game is great, you're only playing it in spurts or at least that's what was happening to me because you get tired of working around quests and going to another. I didn't have lag problems which was a good sign. I actually didn't crash but a few times, just like people say now. But if the game has all this content you're just supposed to either skip or relog, that's not acceptable and doesn't sound ready to me.

Just like I wouldn't decline the game because Ut says 'don't', I wouldn't buy it based on a promise that it would be fixed either, that's all.

Self esteem? I think you have me confused with someone who seems personally invested like you were and now.. "it's good the server's down. I can vacuum and shit".

Aesop is calling. Please pick up.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
What bet with who did you lose?

Fully agree that Rio 2 ad is annoying.
Buddy that I work with. We battle back and forth about various games, systems, etc. Good lunch topics. He was very amped up until I explained to him that ZO was behind this, not anyone from the Bethesda team behind the TES Single player RPG games. He didn't care but his anticipation went from 100% to about 99.998%. After months of shit talking back and forth for fun, he bet me that the servers would stay up for 24 hours straight without coming down. If I won, he bought me a copy of Watch Dogs for PS4. If I lost, I had to buy the $59 Digital Version of the game directly from the TES site so they didn't have to pay any royalties to a 3rd party.(No idea why that stipulation was in it), and play with him. I thought I had the thing in the bag for a free copy of Watch Dogs. Servers crash all the time during an early access. So, I lost. Bought it. Adding you as your first friend was the icing on the cake for hilarity though you have to admit (You aren't really a bad dude, you just really want to like this game) And we messed around for a bit in game. He actually got tired of the bugs and already quit. And I now have him hooked on Heroes of the Storm Tech Alpha so it's all a mute point now. Tuco you were right. I wouldn't have stayed long.

Key point being that this guy is a complete fanboy. He lasted 48 hours.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why do I not believe any of that. Oh yeah, its the internet.
I know. Crazy story up there.
rolleyes.png

Thing is, it isn't * That * bad of a game when shit works. But shit doesn't work. Seeing the excuses on the internet is fairly laughable. From "Hey that's ok I cannot play the product I bought and have the week off for (Blackwulf) I just cleaned up the pizza boxes in my walk in closet from Sunday!", to, "It isn't launched yet" (Uh, yes. Early access as an incentive doesn't mean the game hasn't launched. Moving forward there are no more character wipes, people paid full retail for access as that incentive. It isn't "Alpha early access" like we see sprouting all over Steam from indie developers.) We are talking a AAA MMORPG that took 7 years to develop.

I hope for people that like the game they get all this shit straightened out. But on Friday night, with a few beers in hand while playing HOTS, I'll alt tab every once in a while and while really hoping (genuinely) that they did so you guys can play what you paid for, I'll probably have a few chuckles at the expense of Paul Sage and Matt Firor. I think these problems will persist throughout the middle of April and will only start to calm down not because they fixed them, but because people quit, gave up, and populations decreased.

Buddy that I work with. We battle back and forth about various games, systems, etc. Good lunch topics. He was very amped up until I explained to him that ZO was behind this, not anyone from the Bethesda team behind the TES Single player RPG games. He didn't care but his anticipation went from 100% to about 99.998%. After months of shit talking back and forth for fun, he bet me that the servers would stay up for 24 hours straight without coming down. If I won, he bought me a copy of Watch Dogs for PS4. If I lost, I had to buy the $59 Digital Version of the game directly from the TES site so they didn't have to pay any royalties to a 3rd party.(No idea why that stipulation was in it), and play with him. I thought I had the thing in the bag for a free copy of Watch Dogs. Servers crash all the time during an early access. So, I lost. Bought it. Adding you as your first friend was the icing on the cake for hilarity though you have to admit (You aren't really a bad dude, you just really want to like this game) And we messed around for a bit in game. He actually got tired of the bugs and already quit. And I now have him hooked on Heroes of the Storm Tech Alpha so it's all a mute point now. Tuco you were right. I wouldn't have stayed long.

Key point being that this guy is a complete fanboy. He lasted 48 hours.
Heh. Come on. You lasted like 18 hours before you caved. This is the nerd circle of trust dude... no need to make up crazy shit... we are all addicts here.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But on Friday night, with a few beers in hand while playing HOTS, I'll alt tab every once in a while and while really hoping (genuinely) that they did so you guys can play what you paid for, I'll probably have a few chuckles at the expense of Paul Sage and Matt Firor.
I'm sure they(the 2 people you mention) got their chuckles, they got $60 from their most rabid Stalker.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
@Rescorla
I don't see how you can possible spin this as smoother. It was a soft open with the 5 day head start and things went well and now that the majority have joined the whole thing has come crashing down. Quests breaking, massive database fuck up, instancing fuck ups, massive dupe bugs which brought the mail system down. It's what we figured, a mmo launch.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know. Crazy story up there.
rolleyes.png

Thing is, it isn't * That * bad of a game when shit works. But shit doesn't work. Seeing the excuses on the internet is fairly laughable. From "Hey that's ok I cannot play the product I bought and have the week off for (Blackwulf) I just cleaned up the pizza boxes in my walk in closet from Sunday!", to, "It isn't launched yet" (Uh, yes. Early access as an incentive doesn't mean the game hasn't launched. Moving forward there are no more character wipes, people paid full retail for access as that incentive. It isn't "Alpha early access" like we see sprouting all over Steam from indie developers.) We are talking a AAA MMORPG that took 7 years to develop.

I hope for people that like the game they get all this shit straightened out. But on Friday night, with a few beers in hand while playing HOTS, I'll alt tab every once in a while and while really hoping (genuinely) that they did so you guys can play what you paid for, I'll probably have a few chuckles at the expense of Paul Sage and Matt Firor. I think these problems will persist throughout the middle of April and will only start to calm down not because they fixed them, but because people quit, gave up, and populations decreased.
You in AD Dawnbreaker like rest of us?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@Rescorla
I don't see how you can possible spin this as smoother. It was a soft open with the 5 day head start and things went well and now that the majority have joined the whole thing has come crashing down. Quests breaking, massive database fuck up, instancing fuck ups, massive dupe bugs which brought the mail system down. It's what we figured, a mmo launch.
Best part, people in guild who did the PTS for months, said the mail dupe has been there for a while and Zenimax even acknowledged it :p So about usual , things don't get really looked at or fixed until its done on a big scale or during live.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm sure they(the 2 people you mention) got their chuckles, they got $60 from their most rabid Stalker.
Oh, I am sure they are taking that $60 all the way to the bank
rolleyes.png
I look at it as it gave some poor schmuck working for Sage a free lunch or two in a meeting or 6.

Rumor has it dev costs with the stop/starts along with start up costs of the company itself total over $200 million. (No source on the rumor) That's about 2 million boxes depending on how many were imperial and standard. Without attaching console development costs, breaking even on box sales is going to be pretty high on the charts if that rumor is correct.

You in AD Dawnbreaker like rest of us?
In AD, still locked around level 8.5 because I have no level appropriate quests that aren't bugged, my main quest is gone, and I don't feel like grinding out mobs forever with the XP nerf to NPC's to get to 10. But yeah, I would have been on Dawnbreaker. I'm sure I will check it out again in a few weeks to see if things died down.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Best part, people in guild who did the PTS for months, said the mail dupe has been there for a while and Zenimax even acknowledged it :p So about usual , things don't get really looked at or fixed until its done on a big scale or during live.
It's amazing how this shit happens time and time again in mmo's. Testers warn them over and over again about exploits or problems and they get ignored and don't fix the problem. Then live comes and suddenly they need to bring down servers and do rollbacks and stuff. Never fails.

I remember in swtor beta people warned them about slicing from the start and they ignored it. Slicing fucked the economy from day one and never recovered.