The Elder Scrolls Online

Vitality

HUSTLE
You doing that in VR private dungeons or Cyrodil public torch dungeons in a grind group? Big difference between the two in terms of mob difficulty.

There is also no AOE taunt in the game so the only way it will work for you is when you are outDPSing everyone else in your group. Once again, possible in a public torch dungeon but not in private dungeons where the mob AI is coded to spread out and attack everyone in the group.
I do it all babe, Heal Tank and DPS at the same time.

The reason sap essense is so good for AE tanking in dungeons, torches and dolmen anchors is that it does both DMG and Healing simultaneously. Which maximizes threat, so unless someone is doing 400dps on a mob I'm holding all the threat pretty easily. Sap Essense also builds 10% ultimate each cast, so I always have my Veil of Blades up (30% dmg redux, 60% slow, 180dps AE)

I even tank the keep guards and tower mages in PVP when taking objectives. Other nerds get 2 shot, so it works out.

My single target threat is off the chain with Funnel Health spam.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I actually hope the players who aren't smart enough to figure out this game's group dungeon mechanics quit. That is preferable to them whining and complaining the PVE dungeon content is too hard because there is no AOE tanking, the healer keeps dying, the group keeps wiping, etc and getting it nerfed down to WoW level of simplicity.
What's that old quote: "Be careful of what you wish for?"

Given that we are talking about how fast ESO will go F2P, your wish does nothing but make that happen sooner. Remember, the woods are littered with the corpses of games where the fans said"Good, I hope we get rid of all those X gamers from X, then the game will be better off."

I sure remember all the Warhammer fans telling everyone that. And then they all listened.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's that old quote: "Be careful of what you wish for?"

Given that we are talking about how fast ESO will go F2P, your wish does nothing but make that happen sooner. Remember, the woods are littered with the corpses of games where the fans said"Good, I hope we get rid of all those X gamers from X, then the game will be better off."

I sure remember all the Warhammer fans telling everyone that. And then they all listened.
If you think F2P is MMO elephant graveyard, you should check how SWTOR is doing financially since they went F2P.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I don't blame you on your choice to cancel, and I hate to say it but I told you so, buying this game for anything other than group PVP was and will continue to be a foolish mistake. This is, of course, unless their PVE-epeen Time Trials turn out to be solid gold and not Gold Plated Turd..
I think the game is good for an MMO, I just have some personal gripes, similar to FF14, but overall this one is a better game. My main complaint is about the combat more than the grouping. I do agree grouping isn't focused enough in the early levels. it might be later, but in PVP and PVE it's not in either case.

I just wish they had done more to make it a grouping MMO but as of now there's zero reason for me to group in PVE, and honestly almost zero for PVP as I have yet to see one good group vs group fight. I either get steamrolled, or I'm with friends and we are the steamrollee..

I think MMOs are all about playing with friends. Any MMO is boring solo. My problem is just time. I can't play as much as my usual crowd does...This one has good grouping tools but bad grouping design.

So 10 days after launch it's the usual "well time to regrettably unsub"
Nah, the game is solid, but it's aimed more at the Elder Scrolls crowd with an eye on being super casual. The gloom and doom people were completely off. My biggest complaint with this game is more akin to EQ2 vs a few who said this game was Shadowbane. EQ2 was solid, but I just despised the combat. This one isn't nearly as bad as EQ2 combat wise, but I think they went the wrong direction and it isn't enjoyable to fight a la SWTOR or WOW for me.

To me it plays like every other MMO lately, or at least how I play them: I solo as much as possible and group/ersatz group in PVE when I have to for a particular goal. The game feels like a reasonable translation of an Elder Scrolls game into the MMO space. ..
The problem is the mechanism for grouping is very flawed. Quests are never group based. Events are rarely group based. Even PVP gives no impetus to group in the zergs I've been apart of so far, either.

It plays much, much more casual than most MMOs. This is a good thing, but part of me wants a little more EQ style gaming. Grouping so far is a step back.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
If you think F2P is MMO elephant graveyard, you should check how SWTOR is doing financially since they went F2P.
Or DCUO. No, I didn't mean that a F2P game is death, far from it.

Actually, I think ESO will benefitmorewhen it goes F2P because of Cyro. That's the main feature of this game, no one is buying it to grind VR levels.

How will it work? Probably they cut down on the number of bank slots people get as F2P as incentive to buy bags in cash shop (we already see complaints now about bag space for subs). Unlimited story area for one race but 'want to do content at endgame in the two other races?' Pay up in the cash shop to unlock it. Adventure runs? Pay up. More than one craft skill? Pay up. Vampire? Werewolf? Basically, anything PvE will be pay.

The PvP on the other hand, will be entirely free because you want thousands of people in there everyday to make it interesting and if you make a F2Player pay for that, they'll say fuck you and go to GW2. If they can PvP for free that means they might start popping coin in the shop on other things related to acquiring more skillpoints, because with restricted PvE they won't be able to get them all.

I'm just talking about Res' attitude of 'gtfo of my game with your non-playing asses' that usually kills a lot of games outright or turn into a shell of what they planned it to be, that's all.

Vitality

HUSTLE

Actually, I think ESO will benefitmorewhen it goes F2P because of Cyro. That's the main feature of this game, no one is buying it to grind VR levels.

How will it work? Probably they cut down on the number of bank slots people get as F2P as incentive to buy bags in cash shop (we already see complaints now about bag space for subs). Unlimited story area for one race but 'want to do content at endgame in the two other races?' Pay up in the cash shop to unlock it. Adventure runs? Pay up. More than one craft skill? Pay up. Vampire? Werewolf? Basically, anything PvE will be pay.

The PvP on the other hand, will be entirely free because you want thousands of people in there everyday to make it interesting and if you make a F2Player pay for that, they'll say fuck you and go to GW2. If they can PvP for free that means they might start popping coin in the shop on other things related to acquiring more skillpoints, because with restricted PvE they won't be able to get them all.

I'm just talking about Res' attitude of 'gtfo of my game with your non-playing asses' that usually kills a lot of games outright or turn into a shell of what they planned it to be, that's all.
I wouldn't play the game you're describing.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Inventory space is my next gripe. You give the player a big open world, and the ability to look in all of these chests, crates, and barrels, and then you give them an inventory that is too small to appease collecting these materials to craft with plus just going out and looting mobs and getting quest rewards. At the very least they should have made two separate inventories starting at 70 item limit for each that split your resources between main items such as armor, weapons, etc, and then another inventory just for crafting materials. Having to manage your inventory every hour or so because you have to pick up all of these different ingredients for provisioning and also find room for items you pick up along your way killing mobs, and doing quests is not fun. You shouldn't have to make mule characters just to afford yourself enough space to play the game.
Truth, I running with 4 mules right now.

Also throw in the fact the bank keeps bugging out and it gets even worse.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Were you trying to dispute what I said?
I was until I noticed you were only talking about people who play a few hours a day
biggrin.png
Finding VR1 to not be too bad, but 456k is pretty hefty, cant imagine doing all 9 ranks this fast.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I think the game is good for an MMO, I just have some personal gripes, similar to FF14, but overall this one is a better game. My main complaint is about the combat more than the grouping. I do agree grouping isn't focused enough in the early levels. it might be later, but in PVP and PVE it's not in either case.

I just wish they had done more to make it a grouping MMO but as of now there's zero reason for me to group in PVE, and honestly almost zero for PVP as I have yet to see one good group vs group fight. I either get steamrolled, or I'm with friends and we are the steamrollee..

I think MMOs are all about playing with friends. Any MMO is boring solo. My problem is just time. I can't play as much as my usual crowd does...This one has good grouping tools but bad grouping design.

The problem is the mechanism for grouping is very flawed. Quests are never group based. Events are rarely group based. Even PVP gives no impetus to group in the zergs I've been apart of so far, either.

It plays much, much more casual than most MMOs. This is a good thing, but part of me wants a little more EQ style gaming. Grouping so far is a step back.
The level 1-50 PVE content by design is supposed to replicate the TES single player experience. The group content while leveling is pretty much limited to the private group dungeons. The PVE content starting with VR1 and beyond is designed for groups. Doing the VR1+ PVE quests is best done with 2 or more players while doing VR private dungeons (think elite/heroic dungeons in other MMOs) will obviously require a full group. The adventure zone will require a full group for all of it and is probably the closest thing to classic EQ1 grouping of any MMO released since WoW.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

Do you prefer MMOs that are challenging and allow skilled players to stand out from the crowd or do you prefer MMOs where the difficulty has been dumbed down and everyone can complete end game content and get decked out in epic gear?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Teso is pretty dumbed down compared to other mmo's. The skill system is the only advanced thing in it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On really? How so? I haven't seen any MMOs with private dungeons more challenging and as fun as TESO's since vanilla WoW.
You obviously haven't played any other MMO's. The entire mechanic of "smart heals" derps it down. Remedial boss mechanics "although fun". Easy mode siege warfare. Just to name a few core ones. The most difficult thing is praying your ability actually fires or your weapon switches.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
You obviously haven't played any other MMO's. The entire mechanic of "smart heals" derps it down. Remedial boss mechanics "although fun". Easy mode siege warfare. Just to name a few core ones. The most difficult thing is praying your ability actually fires or your weapon switches.
Honestly I am so tired of "whack-a-mole" bar healing from other MMO's that TESO is refreshing even if it's all about positioning, stay-out-of-the-red and "learn to block n00b!" heals.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly I am so tired of "whack-a-mole" bar healing from other MMO's that TESO is refreshing even if it's all about positioning, stay-out-of-the-red and "learn to block n00b!" heals.
They could always have nameplates and actually aim the heal at the person needing it. Oops, can't have nameplates.