The Elder Scrolls Online

Blackwulf

N00b
All been done before. There has been no evidence to suggest these features have been done well. In saying that 'done well' is a matter of opinion. I still believe that TESO offers nothing but the lure of the ES world.
Nobody knows how well they're doing those things yet. That's the point, right? As far as I'm concerned, if they can pull off DAOC style RVR as well as or better than DAOC, plus have a big populated server, and a large PVE world with decent lore, I'll be happy. I know some people want a lot more than that. After seeing the leaked vid, I still have some hope for the stuff I want in the game to be there. I know some people had their hopes crushed.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Classless character system
Character skill based progression
FFA PvP
Open PvP enabled dungeons

edit:I may be confused between the way they *should* have done it and the way they've really done it.
Because your way entails too mush risk. And Matt Firor has already stated nothing will ever innovate in this genre any longer. So I wouldn't expect to see something like this.

With that said, it would have been a hell of a game if they were to take Skyrim, Morrowind, and Oblivion and all it's expansions, tweak the combat systems and adjust for progression, and let it rip. When I think of a cool MMORPG in this space, I do not think of SWTOR part 2 with a GW2/DCUO combat system thrown in and an RvR instanced progression system basing PvP abilities off skill ups while in PvP.

This is why all these people need to get the hell out. At least GW2 tried to do something original.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nobody knows how well they're doing those things yet. That's the point, right?
No. The point is that after 6 fucking years they should already be doing it well and showing it being done well. Instead we have the typical crowd control bullshit everyone here has seen before in every other MMORPG released in this fashion. This is rinse and repeat for the 6th time, and maybe they should figure out that no one is falling for their 2001'ish PR damage control any longer.

We know better.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
With that said, it would have been a hell of a game if they were to take Skyrim, Morrowind, and Oblivion and all it's expansions, tweak the combat systems and adjust for progression, and let it rip.
Every time I sat down and played Skyrim, even just cruising the beaches beating the shit out of the walrus for sword/board + healing skills, I'd think to myself, man, this would be an awesome MMO. Then I'd overlay "Stabby McYoloswag" bunny hopping around doing the same thing I was and just.. blegh.

The reason (for me) that Skyrim felt so damned awesome was because of the Man vs. Wild aspect, and YOU being the one and only central part of the story. I think this is a major reason why SWTOR felt so fucking bland.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Every time I sat down and played Skyrim, even just cruising the beaches beating the shit out of the walrus for sword/board + healing skills, I'd think to myself, man, this would be an awesome MMO. Then I'd overlay "Stabby McYoloswag" bunny hopping around doing the same thing I was and just.. blegh.

The reason (for me) that Skyrim felt so damned awesome was because of the Man vs. Wild aspect, and YOU being the one and only central part of the story. I think this is a major reason why SWTOR felt so fucking bland.
A multiplayer mod would probably better than a full blown mmo yes. Like limited to 4 or 8 or whatever. Maybe even a bit dark souls-esque where you can pk people too(but you can choose to close your game to invasion or only play with friends, basically duelling/pvp for people who want to do that). Could instance everything that way and have cities being hubs and call it a mmo though, would probably be better than the shit they're trying to make atm.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
What about the fabled first person view they're pretending is a legitimate thing? The video sure made it look like bullshit. I guess everyone already knew that answer anyways; games are designed around a certain perspective and if TESO is having hell with its primary viewpoint, you just know the secondary option is going to be shit. I suppose it's like hoping for a proper Elder Scrolls game to have a decent third person view.

Mmorpg.com is among the worst of the paid journalists & shills for the industry. Their articles are vapid and thinly veiled advertisements for MMOs. And their community is even worse. Not sure how they have relevance towards anything honestly.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Mmorpg.com is among the worst of the paid journalists & shills for the industry. Their articles are vapid and thinly veiled advertisements for MMOs. And their community is even worse. Not sure how they have relevance towards anything honestly.
Their only worthwhile guage is if a company believes in their product. The fact that teso isnt shelling out enough cash to stay #1 is pretty sad.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What about the fabled first person view they're pretending is a legitimate thing? The video sure made it look like bullshit. I guess everyone already knew that answer anyways; games are designed around a certain perspective and if TESO is having hell with its primary viewpoint, you just know the secondary option is going to be shit. I suppose it's like hoping for a proper Elder Scrolls game to have a decent third person view.
This will be about as effective as saying, "Hey look - You can play World of Warcraft in 1st person too!"

Yeah, games need to be designed around this. Their "Fix" was what every game out there does, but these idiots actually had the balls to try glorifying it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
A lot of people liked and preferred skyrim in third person.
It's also a fixed third person camera shot without any zoom or player manipulation (without mods). It isn't so far stretched out or in that it matters much. This is different as the entire game had already been designed to be third person and they jury rigged in an easy answer because all the others do it, so they may as well too.

Edit: Beta comments over on Beta cake talk about how 1st person sucks. "But that's a work in progress"...
rolleyes.png
Also, PvP inside dungeons are exactly what everyone thought they were. Little shit cubby holes with a treasure chest at the end - all of them dynamically generated and have about 6 total paths across the game. There isn't anything to fight for in them.

Another shocker.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
A lot of people liked and preferred skyrim in third person.
Outside of seeing what you're wearing, I don't see how anyone could prefer it -- it feels completely janky. I mean, it's better than Oblivion but that isn't saying anything. Either way it's irrelevant, TESO is going to have a shit first person mode and it's funny hearing them pretend like it won't be.

Edit: Beta comments over on Beta cake talk about how 1st person sucks. "But that's a work in progress"...
rolleyes.png
Also, PvP inside dungeons are exactly what everyone thought they were. Little shit cubby holes with a treasure chest at the end - all of them dynamically generated and have about 6 total paths across the game. There isn't anything to fight for in them.

Another shocker.
Every element of an MMO is a work-in-progress to its fanbase until it releases and is still shit. The "it's still beta" argument is worthless.

xzi

Mouthbreather
So, the team that was working on Skyrim recently posted a blog that they are all moving on to other projects. Not that it means that they are going to work on TESO.. but ya never know, maybe the MMO could have some hope after all.

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/15/m...ext-adventure/

Skyrim has been a labor of love for us since we started designing it in 2006. We never imagined it would become the phenomenon it has. And that is because of you, the fans. It was all of you who made it a success. We can't thank you enough for embracing the game, spreading the word, and making it your own.

For the last year and a half we've been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio's full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet.

Even though we're moving on, we'll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We've invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it.

We loved hearing your stories, your in-game triumphs, and your suggestions. One thing stuck out to us through those emails, letters, and postings. And that is - video games matter. They're as important to you as they are to us. It's not just about entertainment, it's about your time. And you chose to spend it with our game.

Thank you again for all your support. We hope you stay engaged in the gaming community here and elsewhere. Keep spreading the word. Games are the world's best entertainment because they can do what other forms cannot - fill you with the wonder of exploration and the pride of accomplishment. We look forward to sharing our next adventure with you.

Until next time,

Bethesda Game Studios