The Elder Scrolls Online

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
ESO has tons of content, now whether that content is all good is another matter entirely. It's at best an average game in my opinion. I did enjoy it for the lore since Elder Scrolls has some interesting lore, sadly the writing in ESO is pretty awful in places.

It took me 3 or 4 attempts over the years to finally manage to level a character to max level. The last attempt I got from 27 or 37 to 50 and 300CP or so and that was during the quarantine where I was not working for 3 months, so not sure I would ever have made it otherwise.

I played with a friend, and we just leveled going through a zone and completing it, before moving to another zone. The writing might not be great, but the overall lore and stories is probably the best part of ESO. So if you skip reading quests, you are left with pretty much nothing good in my opinion.

The game has a lot of good ideas, most of which are poorly executed.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"It's not warcraft, or asian"?

First, If you like the WoW franchise but you don't play WoW because "It is WoW" and that somehow makes it unavailable to you, you are juvenile as fuck. Likewise if you are playing other MMOs because they AREN'T WoW for the very same reasons.

Second, this game basically took WoW and GW2, had them make a kid then abort it and then called it ESO. They have a ton of good ideas surrounded by bad mechanics and great lore. It is the quintessential "Theme park MMO" in every sense of the phrase.

Like what you like but at least have the emotional maturity to understand that your game is exactly like the games you dislike...but worse.

"It doesn't have an auction house!" -- It does, but they castrated it and hid most functionality behind joining a shitty guild you want nothing from but a "Auction Vendor" of sorts. Cool uselessness.

"It doesn't have fuckin group finder, that shit ruins games!" -- It does, last time I played there were bugs left from beta that still hampered the BASE FUNCTION of the dungeon finder too..

"It has engaging combat and meaningful PVP!" -- The system is straight homework ripped from GW2 but they didn't add siege vehicles, the last few updates to combat and classes made combat more stale, I didn't even think that was possible.

"They added raids!" -- They added WoW challenge mode.

Really? Are you such a WoW fanboy that you can't understand why some people don't like WoW and may like ESO instead? They are different games. Being in the same genre doesn't make them mirror images. And it is possible to like both games, but for different reasons.

Just because I like Killswitch doesn't mean I also like Elvis, even though both are rock and roll.

Personally, I don't think WoW or ESO are great. Just more of the same but one with mustard and one with ketchup. ESO is much better to look at and has better lore, WoW does the fetchit stuff better. If you love fetchit games (I hate them) then WoW is king. WoW also does the raid thing better. And ESO is more fun if you like the casual style, crafting, rvr, etc.

I play them both every couple of years and get bored pretty quickly.

Last edited:

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Personally, I don't think WoW or ESO are great. Just more of the same but one with mustard and one with ketchup. ESO is much better to look at and has better lore, WoW does the fetchit stuff better. If you love fetchit games (I hate them) then WoW is king. But WoW also does the raid thing better. And ESO is more fun if you like the casual style, etc.

Again:

Like what you like but at least have the emotional maturity to understand that your game is exactly like the games you dislike...but worse.

I don't care that I enjoy playing EQ1 right now even though EQ1 is factually a worse game than current games. It has nothing to do with it "Not being WoW or Asian".

ESO is basically...like I said...

WoW and GW2 merged together.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Again:

I don't care that I enjoy playing EQ1 right now even though EQ1 is factually a worse game than current games. It has nothing to do with it "Not being WoW or Asian".

ESO is basically...like I said...

WoW and GW2 merged together.

I think your emotional maturity could use some work if you really believe what you said.

And WoW and GW2 merged would also make it a different game. Which pretty much kills your argument.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
me and 3 other friends were looking for MMO to play so we picked up ESO. idk it seems fun sometimes, running dungeons and doing some quests.

i dont like the scale though, lvl 250's in my dungeon group at 30... whats the point of even leveling then? i picked up a piece of gear at lvl 30 and looked at it's equivalent piece in the AH and for lvl 50 it was like 15% better in stats. i dont understand the point to even get gear then especially if everything scales?

the game just kinda seems pointless. i played a lot of eq1 and you could say the same but i dont even feel the need to better my character in eso

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I think your emotional maturity could use some work if you really believe what you said.

it is...quite literally...what I said...

I mean did you want me to say it without swearing and keep it busuness casual?

---

Directed at people who think that ESO is somehow a much different a game than other MMOs,

I urge you to consider, the driving factor in MMO enjoyment is communities, not mechanics. If you enjoy a community you are likely to ignore mechanics that drive a less than ideal play experience. The factors that push a less than ideal play experience in Elder Scrolls Online are connected to the concept that they pulled inspiration for those mechanics from other games but did not want to completely copy those mechanics for the sake of, what I believe is, appearances.

This does not mean that The Elder Schools online is a poorly crafted game world, the opposite in-fact. The quests are engaging and the lore is interesting. Many times, while playing it back before the world revamp, I was impressed on the levels of the depth of some quests and their quest series.

Unfortunately, for me, the community I was in combined with lack-luster general game mechanics drove me from the game. These being:

Combat -- The community deigned to create a toxic enforcement of "Best Practices" by not allowing others to experience content unless they were of a certain "Spec". Those specs were usually very monotonous to play and resulted in game fatigue. The resulting balance changes only proved to make the game more stale and less dynamic through process.

Grouping -- The world in the game is generally meant to be experienced without a group, not that grouping is discouraged but the fact that content is able to be completed without a group means that if you want to experience it with a group, you are discouraged. Additionally, several game-breaking bugs exist within the group finder functionality that cause a less than ideal play experience for people with crashes and app freezes.

Community -- Originally I thought the concept of allowing a player to be in multiple guilds would be a blessing rather than a curse, especially in a world where a person can be an assassin and a crafter. The concept seemed like it would foster a community of people, instead what it became was a world where I would look for an auction guild to sell my things and several "Functional guilds" for doing things like raiding and PvP. None of whom did much talking in game and simply used the guild system for ease of access to players.

Ultimately, what would be a great game is brought down in experience because of lack of direction and expertise in execution on key systems and concepts.

Yours sincerely,

Titty McTits

Xerge

<Donor>
"It's not warcraft, or asian"?

First, If you like the WoW franchise but you don't play WoW because "It is WoW" and that somehow makes it unavailable to you, you are juvenile as fuck. Likewise if you are playing other MMOs because they AREN'T WoW for the very same reasons.

Second, this game basically took WoW and GW2, had them make a kid then abort it and then called it ESO. They have a ton of good ideas surrounded by bad mechanics and great lore. It is the quintessential "Theme park MMO" in every sense of the phrase.

"It doesn't have an auction house!" -- It does, but they castrated it and hid most functionality behind joining a shitty guild you want nothing from but a "Auction Vendor" of sorts. Cool uselessness.

"It doesn't have fuckin group finder, that shit ruins games!" -- It does, last time I played there were bugs left from beta that still hampered the BASE FUNCTION of the dungeon finder too..

"It has engaging combat and meaningful PVP!" -- The system is straight homework ripped from GW2 but they didn't add siege vehicles, the last few updates to combat and classes made combat more stale, I didn't even think that was possible.

"They added raids!" -- They added WoW challenge mode.

The problem is you think I dislike WoW or FF14. I enjoy them both. I just happen to give eso a shot inbetween WoW and FF. I have max level mains in all 3 major MMOs. I have leveled all classes in WoW aside from clothies(priest/mage atm), all classes leveled in eso, I want to invest into FF14 but i'm really only enjoying the mainstory and some group play in it, so I only maintain one max level class atm. How about you understand that all 3 major MMOs have the exact same shit and it's what I try and explain over and over in this thread. I don't believe any post of mine hinted that I think ESO is a much different game, in fact it's the opposite. My posts have only shown how familiar ESO can be to an MMO player.

If you don't like the combat, thats you. Get gud and learn to play.
If you don't like the graphics, thats a you thing.
if you don't like the community design in eso, that's a you thing. Communities in FF and WoW are trash to me personally.

Back to playing the game.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Picked it up recently. Enjoying it for what it is, but it doesn't scratch the traditional MMO itch that keeps me awake at night. The questing is decent and feels like a better version of SWTOR, combat outside of trying to solo group content is a snoozefest (mostly due to spammable instant heals/shields with no cooldowns), Battlegrounds seem incredibly confusing with the amount of shit all happening in such a small area but a lot of that is also just me being new to the game.

By far the thing I hate the most is the combat scaling. I understand that a core part of the design is to allow you to do content whenever you want and still have it feel challenging, but when I'm hitting for 7-8k damage at level 1 and have 20,000 hp/magic the game just feels wrong straight out of the gate, it also makes gearing feel really hollow. I'm assuming it all kind of comes together at 50 and the progression feels a bit better but the game is constantly throwing items and gear at me that just all seems to be exactly the same as the gear I got 10-20 levels ago, so to the vendor it goes.

It's a very SAFE mmo, it's vanilla ice cream in gaming form.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
One thing about the scaling is it only scales you to CP160 as this is the max 'ilevel' for gear. So yes you will vendor a lot of shit until past 50 -- CP system is AA all over again and you have to do it. CP is also account wide, I grinded a lot of CP through alts -- as soon as an alt hits 50 they're automatically adjusted to whatever CP your main is. Not only that overland and delves are literally meant to be soloed by casuals with random abilities on their bar and LARPers with their funky builds. The safety net comes off when you hit CP160 and there's no more scaling and suddenly you'd like to try some vet. content, the transition is shocking for some. The game doesn't hold your hand in that aspect. For example you want at least 20k DPS for a base game vet. dungeon if you're new, considering i've seen people do half that...Yah.

Honestly while leveling I'd just stick to crafted sets every few levels if that. The 'training' trait for the exp. bonus is worth it.

Xerge

<Donor>
Late to the Greymoor game so far so good though. Enjoying the story. Really awesome wolf pet as a story quest reward, boy is big as my bear. ESO is prob the best side piece to play betwen content of other mmos.

Screenshot_20200808_102518.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a bunch of mounts from collector's editons etc.

Favorite to ride is the Senche-raht. Big, ugly rat cat looking thing. Not the best looking mount I have but for some reason it seems much easier to maneuver, turn, jump up walls, etc. Even seems faster. Probably just an illusion but whatever. Perception is reality and all that.

• 1Like

babo

Golden Knight of the Realm
well im back on ESO for the 3rd time..came back to peddle skooma and moon sugar outta elsweyr. harrassing all rotten egg hatchling faggot argonians and humans. the last thing i want to see is another scaley headed cold blooded fuck slithering around Queens landing

• 1Pathetic

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll be subbing again later this week once the NW buzz dies down. Waiting on Daidraco Daidraco to hit CP300 though

Im like 20 some odd points away or something. Just need to actually play it instead of logging in for research/horse stuff and logging out. FFXIV has got me in some tangent with Hand/Land trades.

• 1Solidarity

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been playing this for the last month. Hit 400 CP and cleared all of the end game. I found it kind of lacking once I hit 160 CP with not a lot to do at the end. The gear you want to acquire is very easy. All but a few dungeons/trials/arenas,etc, are basically idiot proof. The PvP is pretty boring too. There is such a large difference between people who know what they are doing and people that dont that most fights are decided long before you get into them just by who you brought with you.

What I hate the most is that with the scaling from level 1 it never felt like I was progressing at all after level 10 or so. This is certainly the worst feature I've experience in a mmo now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
I actually dislike the power gap the CP system provides atm. cp300-400 is very different from say cp600 and over. There's a rework coming eventually for the CP system that's why they don't touch it much between patches. Clearing vMOL on a speed run with 10 DPS pulling 100k DPS each with max CP players is very different from CP400-600 learning party. In comparison i've main tanked for raids that would struggle to pull 200k group dps. Tanking vet AA with 200k group dps is also a nightmare.

I never found the pvp to be boring unless it's the horse simulator shit. Cyrodil is pretty wild though and people are really into it -- give's me WoW AV vibes at times. You absolutely need to build your toon toward pvp else you'll get butt stuffed quick n slick tho.

Last edited: