The Elder Scrolls Online

Felmega_sl

shitlord
An Elder Scrolls game where you can't aim a bow or a fireball. Ridiculous.
I agree absolutely. Should have been the first point in the design doc. Player aiming would have separated it from WoW as well. Disappointing to say the least. I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the game being ported to the consoles.

Caliane

To be fair with this derail...
He didn't say failures. he said obscure.

Path of Exile is neither a failure financially or design wise. But is still fairly unknown, among the casual audience. it is "obscure".

He simply listed games that did not reach large market success or exposure.
And many of those listed, while large at the time, amount MMO players, such as DAoC, where at a time when ALL mmo's were obscure.

spronk

FPS noob
skyrim sold 7m copies in first week across all platforms ($450m) so thats probably the absolute upper limit
Guild Wars 2 sold 2m copies in 2 weeks so thats another good data point
Final Fantasy XIV reboot sold 1.5m copies in 1 month, but it was at a heavy discount ($20-30) compared to skyrim/GW2 but also PC & PS3
The Secret World was under 300k in the first month
Mists of Pandaria sold 2.7m copies in the first week
SWTOR was around 1.7m copies by the end of month 1, i think? (didnt google this my darth maul statue is staring at me)

what i wanna know is, what does Curt Schilling think of TESO beta. It would be youtube gold for him to do a review

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Man mentioned something I had completely forgotten , just how smooth DAOC's launch was in 2001.

Somehow a somewhat new company managed to launch a mmo well back then , but today's mmos for the most part still can't manage that.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
I agree absolutely. Should have been the first point in the design doc. Player aiming would have separated it from WoW as well. Disappointing to say the least. I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the game being ported to the consoles.
I assume it's more because of ESO being an MMO over anything else. I wouldn't want to be the server guy for a game that has to track flight paths of every individual spell or arrow. Imagine the fun the players'd have with that on high latency, too. Even if it's technically possible (edit: don't get me wrong, I know it probably is) and a viable alternative to their current system, they wouldn't have done it out of a desire to reach a wider worldwide audience.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I assume it's more because of ESO being an MMO over anything else. I wouldn't want to be the server guy for a game that has to track flight paths of every individual spell or arrow. Imagine the fun the players'd have with that on high latency, too. Even if it's technically possible (edit: don't get me wrong, I know it probably is) and a viable alternative to their current system, they wouldn't have done it out of a desire to reach a wider worldwide audience.
Works for planetside 2 well enough on non hitscan weapons.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
Didn't Asheron's Call already do this 14 years ago?

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that's why I added in the "probably is" bit. The main issue is reaching a wider audience and supporting people who don't have the pleasure of a relatively low ping to the game servers (searching "asheron's call lag" brings up some fun forum raging).

It's still obviously made to compensate for consoles but I'm just trying to add on some other reasons why they decided to make the decision, for better or for worse.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Didn't Asheron's Call already do this 14 years ago?
Absolutely. The Z axis was automatically calculated, but you could could aim both bows and spells. And dodge them. And it took skill.

Amazing, right? Meanwhile we continue devolving for the greater dollar.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
While I never played AC, I did get to watch friends play it a lot in our LAN store, and IIRC you could AFK and sell buffs and shit? I kept wondering why in the everliving fuck more games didn't give you more offline/AFK options. Like instead of having to wait for people to MGB or beg for SOW, people could just AFK/offline in certain places and have prices set (for spells, crafting, etc) so that people could come by at any time and buy whatever.

I know that there would be issues but that system sounded intriguing.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Sorry, no player interaction allowed.
I hate how this has become the driving philosophy behind most MMORPGs these days. I understand why they want to make the experience consistent for all players regardless of who is or isn't online, but it sure does make for boring games.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Man mentioned something I had completely forgotten , just how smooth DAOC's launch was in 2001.

Somehow a somewhat new company managed to launch a mmo well back then , but today's mmos for the most part still can't manage that.
Everything was relatively stable actually. But they shipped it without any post 35 itemization. No loot drops at all actually for at least a month, and none of the relic rvr was finished. Although we were able to take keeps.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I never played AC, I did get to watch friends play it a lot in our LAN store, and IIRC you could AFK and sell buffs and shit? I kept wondering why in the everliving fuck more games didn't give you more offline/AFK options. Like instead of having to wait for people to MGB or beg for SOW, people could just AFK/offline in certain places and have prices set (for spells, crafting, etc) so that people could come by at any time and buy whatever.

I know that there would be issues but that system sounded intriguing.
It's because nearly every MMO has instead opted for global auction houses. It makes it easier for them to keep an eye on the economy if all transactions are done in one place, plus I imagine it's less taxing on the server than allowing each player to keep their character logged in with their own shop. While it make sense from that perspective, it is unfortunate that it really limits MMOs from having any sort of living economy.

roger_sl

shitlord
EQ had the afk/offline option with the baz, untill players noticed they could push the afk vendor into the arena, ff11 had the afk-trade aswell, swg had the offline player stores, fung wang and lineage 2 also i think.

Caliane

EQ had the afk/offline option with the baz, untill players noticed they could push the afk vendor into the arena, ff11 had the afk-trade aswell, swg had the offline player stores, fung wang and lineage 2 also i think.
yeah, lineage did as well.

neverwinter, tor and eve sortof, with crafting, skilling up/auctionhouse offline and/or web/tablets.

Tying an actual in game shop to such offline/tablet interactions would be fantastic no doubt.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you guys can keep your community driven trading system. I'll stick with liquidating my loot and buying upgrades / consumables / mats as quickly as possible.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Yeah you guys can keep your community driven trading system. I'll stick with liquidating my loot and buying upgrades / consumables / mats as quickly as possible.
What makes that more interesting for you? I'm genuinely curious. Is it the reliability and convenience of such a system?

What makes that more interesting for you? I'm genuinely curious. Is it the reliability and convenience of such a system?
Personally, it is because I didn't sign up for "shopkeeper simulator online". Though I acknowledge a lot of people enjoy trade aspects of online games and it is probably an under-served market.

A potential compromise would be to have an escrow service (not AH) where players put their items in and others players can buy/sell/deliver them for a cut of profits. You would need Eve-like economic numbers and long travel times for it to work though. Would also have to be relatively scam proof.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
If you guys regard "spamming the various trade channels" as a wonderful form of "player interaction," then I don't really know what to say. Go check out Path of Exile if you want to get a blast to the past in regards to that.

Edit: Then again, that's pretty much theonlyplayer to player interaction in that game so take it as you will.