The Elder Scrolls Online

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most people here are pretty solidly against the game, and their reasons seem valid. But on other forums (that are not so jaded) there is a lot of excitement from the general populace.

My "guess" is that the people here are probably pretty close to being right. The fanboys in general gaming threads usually are not critical enough. But I'll play the game for myself when it is released and make my own judgments. I hope it isn't as bad as so many here seem to indicate and that I'll have the experience you have found.
On these forums people shit upon every game made and in the making: I call it nitpicking, but it's also an extremely detailed review, better than what you can find on magazines or gaming websites for sure.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
On these forums people shit upon every game made and in the making: I call it nitpicking, but it's also an extremely detailed review, better than what you can find on magazines or gaming websites for sure.
There are a small few who do go apeshit about any game they aren't personally vested in, a la Ut, and a few others pining for the good old days, Dumar, but by and large most of us are pretty objective given our own biases and backgrounds. The problem is sometimes Ut and Dumar completely shit up threads about games that do not deserve it. TESO does deserve it.

I think you can tell if a game is decent, not great but good, by the level of warfare posted in a thread. We argued a lot about AOC, since it was amazing fun in Tortage and had great potential. I was cheerleading it since I bought Funcom's BS that the endgame would be fixed. That said, AOC was fun for a few months and the PVP was amusing. SWTOR likewise had people saying a lot of ridiculous things, but at the end of the day the game was fun for me and I enjoyed the level process. I think the endgame was garbage, but I definitely felt it was worth the purchase price.

I don't see anyone actually arguing about TESO, because I don't see anyone who is objective and who has played it really saying anything good about it. I've posted my thoughts before, so I won't go Ut here, but really I think this game is a complete lemon. I don't think TESO is a good deal even if it were completely free to play.

At the end of the day, the game has to be fun and this one just isn't in any way right now.

Bruman

Golden Squire
If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to say something positive about the game wasn't lies, I could list a few things.

I thought the art style and graphics level were both great. Honestly I was shocked when people were slamming the graphics - my computer is 5 years old, and it still looked excellent. However, a lot of people are really bad at explaining their opinion, often just resorting to "it sucks" - not saying that I'm great at it, but I at least make a conscious effort to be more explicit and detailed. I couldn't tell if people just didn't like the art style, or the texturing, or if they referring to the animations, or what. Either way, I thought the modeling, texturing, and level of graphic detail were all great for the short time I could stomach "playing" this "game".

Also, "on paper", I could be a fan of the middle-ground between tab-target and full-on collision detection combat they're going for. The soft targeting system that still requires some aiming, but not the full on twitch reflexes, is a good idea. However, it coupled with the large disconnect between "I start charging my laser--I mean bow" and "arrow fires" was so terrible that I couldn't really tell if I had shot anything half the time. "Unresponsiveness" is almost as bad as "floaty", so I'm trying not to use that word, but damn, that's what fits. Then I'd try to toss in a hot-button skill, and it REALLY felt out of place.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Their sticking to the traditional elder scrolls compass is a good thing in my opinion too. Not having a mini map really helped with immersion for me.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yeah, some people got angry at the Skyrim UI, but I thought it was a good choice. Although, I found myself flipping to the big detailed map too often - kind of conflicts when you have those McMMO style quests.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So as someone who has basically followed nothing about ESO, can someone give me a tl;dr on whether or not the combat system is improved? The absolute worst thing about ES games is that the combat sucks, so they're more about exploration than anything else. Is that still true?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
*facepalm* I didn't know Cthulhu had a tiny penis.
Being extremely defensive (as in "LOL!! LOL!! I fart in your general direction!" kind of comeback
tongue.png
) is a sign of weakness, my dear Erronius.
I really must have rustled you in the other thread over your shitty EQ post if you're trying to insert yourself into something that doesn't concern you here.That, Laura, is a sign of weakness.

As far as Grim1's original comment goes, something that neither of you seemingly wanted to address further...I can't think that anyone would think that 'firing every game dev' is even a remotely good idea, even if it was feasible. Even Utnayan, at the height of one of his"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!"rants, really only wanted to see a lot of the deadweight at the top removed and would probably admit to there being a lot of good people in the industry, even amongst the devs alone. And I'd hazard a guess that anyone dropping a "fire them all" post either isn't being honest and just throwing out a comment without much thought, or they're the kind of person that thinks making parking lots out of countries if they oppose the US is a good idea. As far as Grim1 goes, I seem to remember him wanting to do much the same with the US gov't, so if I see a possible parallel there then I'm not going to apologize for it, no matter who starts bellyaching about it. And since he didn't take the opportunity to take umbrage with that, then I guess I wasn't that far off.

I never thought I'd say it, but you two actually make me wish that Tad10 were in here instead. He can actually take a jab without having a complete breakdown, even if he and I disagree on pretty much everything.

There is no way this will be ready by April 4th, not that I expected it to be ready at all. The cycle continues.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I read the last two pages while listening to the gladiator soundtrack. It sorta helped.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is the first few hours impression changes for this game? (solo-fetch-quests) or is this how the game actually plays? (besides the three factions PvP which I'm not interested in).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So as someone who has basically followed nothing about ESO, can someone give me a tl;dr on whether or not the combat system is improved? The absolute worst thing about ES games is that the combat sucks, so they're more about exploration than anything else. Is that still true?
The combat system of Erronius and Laura making catty posts to each other is better than TESO's combat system.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Watch out, if you say something mean to Grim he'll neg you for it.
Except people on this forum generally do not take 'jabs'. They swing the wrecking ball at those who disagree with them.

I completely disagree with Grim, and yes, I do feel he's a bit of a fanboy. However his opinion rarely came across as nasty, but more reactionary.

The Erronius/Laura war is interesting. By all means continue. It's more interesting than discussing ESO, which irks me because it'd be so easy to make this into a fun game.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted byHeylel

I haven't played in a few months, but the combat is the biggest problem with the game. I'm not a fan of the graphics, but what kills the game really is it's super kludgy crappy combat system. It makes me pine for EQ2 and it's 10,0000 buttons. This is not Skyrim, in any way.

Bruman

Golden Squire
ESO is killing it in this poll:The Hype Sheet: Which 2014 Games Do You Want Most? - IGN

Not 1st, but a close 2nd, with a large gap until you hit 3rd. I think it's safe to say, turd or not, this game will have good box sales and recoup it's cost.

Everquest Next 6.02% (4,164 votes)
The Elder Scrolls Online 36.05% (24,918 votes)
Tom Clancy's The Division 42.14% (29,129 votes)
The Repopulation 0.78% (539 votes)
World of Warships 2.03% (1,403 votes)
Phantasy Star Online 2 5.04% (3,482 votes)
Wildstar 6.96% (4,810 votes)
Other: 1% (681 votes)