The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So are the forum pals playing this now because it's actually turned out ok or because there isn't anything else? It's the latter, right?
I'm playing it because the PVP is good. The PVE is shit at lower levels but people say it's better at higher levels.

Also there's nothing else!

Valamyr_sl

shitlord
Having played in several beta weekends, I can say I've seen the game improve, though there's still alot of work to do if I am to be really excited about it.

Still, my opinion went from 'meh pass' to 'will most likely buy' as I've seen it shape up. It's not perfect but it has some potential.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Many on the team are the guys from Mythic, though, who are known, in my humble opinion, for making the best PVP MMO in DAOC.

Just to bring the conversation in a different direction for those who don't want to quest.. Sorcerer AOE grinding.

Screw farming/grinding, do that shit in pvp! Just need a AE stun and then a couple sorcs doing that.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
and warhammer? and TOR? or are these different guys from Mythic?
I was talking aboutthis guyand the people he brought.

TOR was mostly Bioware people and this guy, and I don't think it was really from the Mythic guys, although I could be wrong.. Warhammer is a whole different discussion, but yes there were a lot of Mythic guys there. That MMO dev process could be a soap opera and I'd love to get the real story from a drunk Mark Jacobs, a guy who is supposedly a micromanagement type, but was stripped of control.

Hopefully this tangent won't incite Ut going into a berserker frenzy requiring a Ned Stark appearance.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was talking aboutthis guyand the people he brought.

That MMO dev process could be a soap opera and I'd love to get the real story from a drunk Mark Jacobs, a guy who is supposedly a micromanagement type, but was stripped of control.
I won't go into a tangent
smile.png

Matt Firor made high level president decisions and has nothing to do with the actual development of the game. Although he did make some very poor choices in who to promote after Zeb Cook was fired, and that person was Paul Sage. Paul Sage makes Mark Jacobs look like Microsoft Game Studios from 2004. Brian Wheeler is responsible for the PvP in this game and none of the credit should go anywhere else. From what I was told, Paul Sage dominated control over developers and forced down decisions of what he thought was a good game regardless of his development team's input. The 1-17 content was scrapped and redone countless times from when he was promoted until early 2013 crippling other teams as a result because resources and assets were continually tied up with Sage. In that time (I forget - 2-3 years? not sure) Brian Wheeler had him and another person without any art assets or resources made available to him to actually start implementation of his PvP ideas until Spring 2013.

Key thing to remember out of all of this? Brian Wheeler may as well be Jesus at this point for the work he did with such limited resources at his disposal.

Matt Firor also had nothing to do with DAOC's success. The credit goes to Rob Denton. He was the guy in the closet who never got the credit.

Now, with that said, I would love to see this development cycle go back in time to see if Rich Lambert was promoted (This is who hired Grave) over Paul Sage and seeing both Zeb Cook and Paul Sage fired. These two leaders alone would have transformed this game into something absolutely amazing. It's incredible to me what Brian Wheeler did with what little he had. You guys like it now (PvP) just imagine what would have happened in a different circumstance from a managerial role.

No, I am not purchasing this game. (Whoever asked) If I knew that the server was going to stabilize and PvP was an option from level 1, I would maybe go through some RvR for kicks for a couple weeks and cancel the sub before getting hit for another month just to see what all this PRX stuff is about. But as of now, that isn't an option. By the time I would check this out (F2P) to see what changes are made, it will be a ghost town. It would be cool if PRX plays through the server issues. My guess is it will all die out in about 2-3 weeks when the essence of 90 day campaigns hit home. Competing product from other genres are going to factor in as well. Diablo 3 2.0 is a hell of a lot of fun, and with that expansion around the corner, that may take up more of my gaming time.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Screw farming/grinding, do that shit in pvp! Just need a AE stun and then a couple sorcs doing that.
FYI the AOE grinding strat in that video is using Impulse, the 5th skill in Destro staff (AOE damage), morphed to Elemental Ring that adds additional DOT damage.

For PVP, the best choice morph for Impulse is Pulsar. In addition to AOE damage, at max rank it decreases the targets maximum health cap by 13%. Right now the debuff stacks so multiple players with Pulsar can decrease maximum health caps by 26%, 39% etc. In other words, a very nasty ability in PVP and the #1 reason to level up Destro staff despite all the other abilities being on the weak side.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FYI the AOE grinding strat in that video is using Impulse, the 5th skill in Destro staff (AOE damage), morphed to Elemental Ring that adds additional DOT damage.

For PVP, the best choice morph for Impulse is Pulsar. In addition to AOE damage, at max rank it decreases the targets maximum health cap by 13%. Right now the debuff stacks so multiple players with Pulsar can decrease maximum health caps by 26%, 39% etc. In other words, a very nasty ability in PVP and the #1 reason to level up Destro staff despite all the other abilities being on the weak side.
Yeah... Sounds like fun in pvp if you are in a organized group. Say you are all sneaking and just walk up to a big group sitting on a flag @ a resource, pop out and go to town.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm playing it because the PVP is good.
I don't think the PvP is actually "good" :

- 90 days campaign length doesn't make any sense (even GW2 reduced it by half, from 2 weeks to 1 week), it will bore people and they'll most likely spend their time server-hopping (inb4 $20 campaign transfer fee).
- Communities will have to cater around campaigns (go to X campaign if you want challenge, le Y campaign if you want to play with french people, etc), we'll have full campaigns with bad performance / 4h queues during primetime and Alaska pop density campaign with empty Cyrodiil map.
- Input delay seems to be a big issue, some skills don't launch / land due to character animations being fucked up with lag. Heavily crowded campaigns will most likely be slideshows where you select your rotation based on skills which actually work.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

- 90 days campaign length doesn't make any sense (even GW2 reduced it by half, from 2 weeks to 1 week), it will bore people and they'll most likely spend their time server-hopping (inb4 $20 campaign transfer fee).
- Communities will have to cater around campaigns (go to X campaign if you want challenge, le Y campaign if you want to play with french people, etc), we'll have full campaigns with bad performance / 4h queues during primetime and Alaska pop density campaign with empty Cyrodiil map.
- Input delay seems to be a big issue, some skills don't launch / land due to character animations being fucked up with lag. Heavily crowded campaigns will most likely be slideshows where you select your rotation based on skills which actually work.
I think you hit the nail right on the head with this post, and this will be how it plays out for a lot of people.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Those are my fears as well. I've always thought they should really consider shortening campaigns to be 5 days on and 1 or 3 days off, where the winner after the 5 days gets unrestricted and solitary access to Cyrodiil, and misc high-value rewards are put into cyrodiil (resource nodes, loot pinata mobs etc), making it a victory party.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The 3rd is the most important to me. The 2nd I don't even care about as communities always do that.

The first will be interesting too see how it turns out.

Blackwulf

N00b
As I've said from day 1: cyrodiil is good. It was always planned as the focal point of their end game. Adventure zones will be good, but those are a response to the raiding end gamers outcry. Cyrodiil is the real deal, and don't let fantasy stories about 1 guy trying to cobble it together in the last year fool ya.

Blackwulf

N00b
Those are my fears as well. I've always thought they should really consider shortening campaigns to be 5 days on and 1 or 3 days off, where the winner after the 5 days gets unrestricted and solitary access to Cyrodiil, and misc high-value rewards are put into cyrodiil (resource nodes, loot pinata mobs etc), making it a victory party.
It's going to be like darkness falls. The city will be this game's contested pvp/pve gem.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The upside of the design for PVP though could be amazing if done right. How often does the 'Emperor' change?

How to become Emperor?

Now let's talk more about how you become Emperor. Developers have said that the highest ranking player of the alliance receives this status after the alliance has all 6 keeps around the Imperial City under its control. There is no other way to be crowned. So there are two global tasks: your alliance must control all the keeps around Cyrodiil and you must be the highest ranked player in your alliance.

The first condition is that you need to be in a strong alliance that has enough power to capture and hold all 6 keeps. It is not an easy task and the whole alliance must work to get this achievement. The more keeps you have under your control the more stretched out your forces become, and with 3 factions not 2, capturing 6 keeps will prove to be very difficult. It is almost impossible to predict which of the 3 alliances, if any, will dominate in the campaign.

The second condition is you must be the highest ranking player of your alliance! Once the alliance takes the last keep the game choses the highest ranking player from an alliance wide campaign leaderboard crowns this player. Thus, the only way to become Emperor in Elder Scrolls Online is to be at the top of the leaderboard. This will require a lot of effort from you. You will have to spend all your time in Cyrodiil fighting with other players, capturing objectives and completingquests. It is a real challenge, but the reward is worth it.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord

The 90 day campaign needs changed. It won't take 90 days for a team like PRX to dominate the map, and keep it dominated. The other two factions will quit or move on long before that. PRX will likely have to move frequently because of this as well if they want to keep finding a good fight. I don't agree with a transfer fee, but it does need some sort of timer. People shouldn't be able to just repeatedly swap campaigns until they find one where their side is winning. Not sure if that can be done now or not.

Communities will have to cater around campaigns (go to X campaign if you want challenge, le Y campaign if you want to play with french people, etc), we'll have full campaigns with bad performance / 4h queues during primetime and Alaska pop density campaign with empty Cyrodiil map.
I don't see this is as a problem. Different campaigns catering to different communities sounds kinda cool. PRX/Rerolled is likely to hang out together in the same campaign.

Input delay seems to be a big issue, some skills don't launch / land due to character animations being fucked up with lag. Heavily crowded campaigns will most likely be slideshows where you select your rotation based on skills which actually work.
This is going to be a huge one and the biggest reason I want to see the new build before committing to playing the game. They HAVE to get their shit running right on their end or the whole pvp system will be a bust. I have seen video that shows large scale battles running smooth, and abilities firing properly though. So they are capable of getting it that smooth. This last beta weekend it was horrific though and that can't be a constant problem. I'm hoping the slideshow will be gone in the next weekend so we can get a honest look at how pvp will play after this goes live.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
As I've said from day 1: cyrodiil is good. It was always planned as the focal point of their end game. Adventure zones will be good, but those are a response to the raiding end gamers outcry. Cyrodiil is the real deal, and don't let fantasy stories about 1 guy trying to cobble it together in the last year fool ya.
Those aren't fantasy stories - that is how it played out. And if you will notice, I praised that dev manager (Brian Wheeler) for quite literally doing the impossible. What I do not know is who is forcing that 90 day campaign down. This doesn't sound like it would be Brian Wheeler.

Now, the problems still remain in what Bond posted about. So unless those get fixed, and fixed fast, it doesn't matter unfortunately what Brian Wheeler was able to accomplish.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The 90 day campaign needs changed. It won't take 90 days for a team like PRX to dominate the map, and keep it dominated. The other two factions will quit or move on long before that. PRX will likely have to move frequently because of this as well if they want to keep finding a good fight. I don't agree with a transfer fee, but it does need some sort of timer. People shouldn't be able to just repeatedly swap campaigns until they find one where their side is winning. Not sure if that can be done now or not..
Given there are three factions I think longer campaigns give more opportunities for small groups to make a difference. Compact campaigns tend to be zergfests with focus on the larger objectives.

More power to huge guilds with tons of conscripts, but my goal is to try to make a difference in a single group in Cyrodil, via questing and fighting. One of the biggest positive things from DAOC was the RR structure that promoted group fights, and the Frontiers layout and Darkness Falls which allowed a valid reward for PVP.

I like the idea of longer campaigns given the bigger objectives. Given the nature of the PVP as long as you have a healthy population and a good amount of people playing, it shouldn't matter if one has a mega guild or not, and coordination won't be the be all end all, which to me limits things as I'm not a fan of Zerg warfare.