The Elder Scrolls Online

Chesire_sl

shitlord
If I was a code monkey in this economy , would eagerly support any stupid shit management wanted in the game. Stupid shit = job security
biggrin.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Dmitry - Megaserver doesn't work. If you don't know that by now, after 3 failed attempts at fixes over the weekend beta to the point where they hap hazardly throw in a single player character copy system without access to anything you just talked about as a "Queue" server, without any hard numbers on when anyone will enter that, you are delusional. I understand what megaserver is supposed to accomplish. It isn't doing it. It's a failed implementation. And throwing someone into a single player game where they cannot talk to their friends or guild as a result is the worst knee jerk fix to it besides their horrible API plan, accessibility plan, and PvE > PvP plan. And you haven't seen shit yet. If you think this is bad, just wait until the majority of those folks get to level 17_+ content which hasn't been passed AT ALL under the stress of a weekend beta server.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I don't recall seeing any of that when I played, although granted I only made it to level 15.

I actually don't mind the setup and I'm happy not to play the UI game, as the world is gorgeouss and the game is fun to me, but I can see where they need to find middle ground.
After my first play session on PTS back in January and thinking to myself this is the worst UI of any MMO I have ever played, I found out about the FTC addon and have been using it ever since. With that addon, I paid attention to the buff/debuff icons that displayed. This was all simple and intuitive because every other MMO used the same design concept. If those visual cues Sage talked about are already in the game, I have never noticed them with one exception. I have noticed fire display on the bottom of my screen which I assume means I have a debuff. I've been playing the game for 3 months now and come next week I will have to relearn how to play it.

The ironic thing is if the TESO design mantra is they want you to play the game, not the UI, by removing the ability of addons to display buffs/debuffs that means I will be forced to spend less time focusing on combat and instead divert my attention to look for these visual cues that I am not familiar with.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I duno about you, but the megaserver worked for me last few weeks.
A strong majority of the broken progression system in questing was a result of script malfunctions under load/phasing bugs under load. Each fix tested failed to correct it. The "fix" is to now separate the players in a place where they can progress, by themselves without communication with their guild/friends, until the unknown number of what megaserver actually handles (Which was supposed to be capped well higher than 500k concurrent on initial design) falls. Players will just stay logged in, find ways to get around it to make sure they never get booted from the real server.

The real world foresight on this was missed. Now it's going to be like fine tuning a radio because they have no idea what the server capacity will be until shit breaks again - so they will start very small and increase in increments until shit breaks, then lock it down at a hard cap. The thing is here, weekend beta never broke 150k concurrent. (Concurrent defined as players on at the same time on the server). SO estimated will be (roughly) possibly 75k-100k in the server maximum after that fine tuning is completed. Which for all accounts, would work now since a lot of people just cancelled anyway.

That's really the definition of broken. 200+ players on your screen at once doesn't matter when you are rubberbanding in Cyrodil and cannot progress due to broken quests and script errors due to inherently broken infrastructure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Easy Captain Jaded. Megaserver tech has never been done before and as the initial rush dies down, it's going to mean anyone can play with their friends and guild at any time and not have to worry about what server they are one. Try not to be the guy that does the whole "oh yes, me and mah fedora have seen it all" thing.
I'd argue that D3 has done a megaserver before. It's a lot different since TESO supports hundreds of concurrent and connected users, but D3 also has more users.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's dumb but they're hacking together a system that maximizes the number of concurrent players while minimizing the problems that exist. Cutting features makes that easier, so it's not a surprise they're not attempting to integrate their bandaid into the queueing system. They probably hope they can fix the problem post-release and not have the bandaid anymore.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
would work now since a lot of people just cancelled anyway.
Ugh man, why do you do this?

You flirt with credibility, and then you drop shit like the above. There is no fucking way you, or anyone you know, has access to accurate data on pre-orders or the cancellation of them.

We're all grown men here. Just stop.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ugh man, why do you do this?

You flirt with credibility, and then you drop shit like the above. There is no fucking way you, or anyone you know, has access to accurate data on pre-orders or the cancellation of them.

We're all grown men here. Just stop.
Retail preorders have dropped (Roughly) 25%.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Retail preorders have dropped (Roughly) 25%.
Dropped from what? Dropped as in cancelled? Dropped from last Tuesday?

You think we're a bunch of housewives who will buy this BS because the box says '25% less fat'?

Pony up some real sources/data or just stop. For the love of god, stop.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Haha I think if we run into goon squad in our campaign I'll probably ask people to stop and give them a hug, they're going through a tough time right now with their disastrous moderation and policies.
Wait... Ut was in goon squad?

Oh man..

Dmitry - Megaserver doesn't work. If you don't know that by now, after 3 failed attempts at fixes over the weekend beta to the point where they hap hazardly throw in a single player character copy system without access to anything you just talked about as a "Queue" server, without any hard numbers on when anyone will enter that, you are delusional. I understand what megaserver is supposed to accomplish. It isn't doing it. It's a failed implementation. And throwing someone into a single player game where they cannot talk to their friends or guild as a result is the worst knee jerk fix to it besides their horrible API plan, accessibility plan, and PvE > PvP plan. And you haven't seen shit yet. If you think this is bad, just wait until the majority of those folks get to level 17_+ content which hasn't been passed AT ALL under the stress of a weekend beta server.
Meh, they'll fix it as they go. It'll end up like every other new MMO tech and need some time to break in. Point is, it's an interesting and ambitious new approach. I'm sure I'll be railing against how broken it makes the first week but the longer view is promising.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Dropped from what? Dropped as in cancelled? Dropped from last Tuesday?

You think we're a bunch of housewives who will buy this BS because the box says '25% less fat'?

Pony up some real sources/data or just stop. For the love of god, stop.
25% from retail (Not direct) from 2 weeks ago.

Which quite honestly, is good news for those that are playing no matter what, they will have less issues over time.

Blackwulf

N00b
Called it:

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/26/esos-veteran-content

Sorry if this link won't work..phone