The Elder Scrolls Online

DMK_sl

shitlord
I like the game, but to each his own.

One of Uts huge complaints was no content post level 15+, yet you find people are complaining that there is too much content with the exception of end game raid zones. I have disconnected one time only since release, and the only issue I have at all server wise is zoning into Cyrodil. Half the time you try to zone into PvP during an AllCall with PRX is met with never ending loading screens and you have to /quit out and try again.

Having said that, I don't like the PvP in this game, nor any other huge zerg versus zerg PvP setting for that matter. Literally you find out where the enemy is and start spamming AoEs for the most part while people set up siege. Now I will not go out and say PvP sucks or whatever because I guess some people like it, but I don't.

I personally feel that the PvE portion of the game is done very well. I have yet to find a bear ass quest and they are all long and engaging, but that's not what the crowd here wants. The majority of people here will find the absolute best method for Time To Level and skip 95% of the game and complain there isn't shit to do later on and are currently bored with nothing to do from AoE grinding for 60+ hours running in circles.
Agreed.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The majority of people here wanted a game you could play that wasn't a turd. Refund came through while in Hawaii.

Id rather have 50 bear ass quests than running from one segment of a map to another activating a lever for 70% of the game.

Most everything I talked about was in fact what happened. Shotty combat system, mega server issues breaking PvE and PvP, lag, combat UI delay, activation delay (opening doors) horrid UI responsiveness, lack of addressing issues, while being right about PVP because Brian wheeler was behind it.

Pvp leveling system sucked.

A turd is a turd. And most everything i posted about was exactly what happened to this thing. I think I was wrong about an NDA lifting at a certain time but then rescorla his behind that anyway for closed beta / PTS. And add ons. But then even some of that was scrapped.

headspace

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the game a lot. I have three toons at level 49, but have avoided doing the VR grind. I can't explain why, but I find myself wanting to play whenever I have a few minutes of free time. Its the first game since EQ that I have played for 20 minutes on my lunch break every day. That said, I really like grinding to level. I hate being forced to do quests. That is why I have avoided the VR content. I am hoping after 1.1 it will be viable to AoE grind VR levels.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Most everything I talked about was in fact what happened. Shotty combat system, mega server issues breaking PvE and PvP, lag, combat UI delay, activation delay (opening doors) horrid UI responsiveness, lack of addressing issues, while being right about PVP because Brian wheeler was behind it.

Spike that football bro. I got my moneys worth pvp fun wise, I won't put any more into it though.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The majority of people here wanted a game you could play that wasn't a turd. Refund came through while in Hawaii.

Id rather have 50 bear ass quests than running from one segment of a map to another activating a lever for 70% of the game.

A turd is a turd. And most everything i posted about was exactly what happened to this thing. I think I was wrong about an NDA lifting at a certain time but then rescorla his behind that anyway for closed beta / PTS. And add ons. But then even some of that was scrapped.
Dude, you know I bro-love you but you were wrong about the game and wrong to attempt to spike the football.

The game is not a train wreck; the megaserver tech is fine; the very few PvE issues are regularly getting solved, although there are some balance issues which represent potential potholes for Zenimax and they did start further in the hole with issues than they should have; the UI responsiveness overall is fine, although there are some issues with the combat UI at times, to be sure. PvP leveling sucks, and the VR system is regrettable but no one here is Paul Jacobs or Matt Firor, either.

All in all, its a B/B+ game (or a C/C- game, I guess, depending on your love it/leave it POV) with potential to go to either an A or a C depending on how they patch.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Definitely not a B game, this is babies first MMO, and it shows throughout nearly every aspect of the game aside from the music and some of the landscapes (which is where cyrodiil gets it's main appeal)

In my opinion of course.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And most everything i posted about was exactly what happened to this thing.
You were doing fine till this point. You knew the Washington Generals were going to lose the game, but you were just guessing on all the details. You've made a ton of bullshit statements about the game that allegedly came from insider information and PTS access that were categorically false. If you want to take a victory lap go ahead, but you're less a nostradamus and more a peanut gallery.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Definitely not a B game, this is babies first MMO, and it shows throughout nearly every aspect of the game aside from the music and some of the landscapes (which is where cyrodiil gets it's main appeal)

In my opinion of course.
Although I don't agree, I can see why you would say that. I think they tried to keep as much Skyrim as they could in the MMO, and this resulted in what we have. A part of which I think is actually one of the better class systems in MMOs. Certainly in at least enabling players to adapt the main archetypes to their own play-style.

I agree that if they had used Cyrodiil as the template around which they built the main world zones, with more openness and yet some chokepoints, it would have much more closely resembled the ES Open World nature. It feels very much like rather than use hearts/full-on quest hubs to drive player motion through the zone, they also use geography in a much more coercive way than I prefer.

Vitality

HUSTLE
A part of which I think is actually one of the better class systems in MMOs. Certainly in at least enabling players to adapt the main archetypes to their own play-style.
Unfortunately at the upper eschelon of ESO's class system are very apparent Pidgeon Holes. DK's run Banner Talons and do PBAE Tackling - Templars spam heals - Who fucking knows what nightblades do - Sorcs are Negate Magic bots.

If you run into a group and don't do these things, you get murdered in Cyrodiil. (At least you used to.)

At the risk of sounding like an AA shill, have you played/looked into Archeage yet? It's class system shits on this games' 100%

Pidgeon holes are fairly limited here, because you can be 3 classes in one. Not One class with tons of weapons.

You ever play Titan Quest? AA's class system is a lot like TQ's.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

Neither you nor Resc/Blackwulf were 100% right on anything. I guess the bottom line is... you said the game would tank, they said it won't. It does appear as if it's doing so from a distance. A few more months will probably solidify it and then F2P. Personally, I think they actually realized it was in trouble from the get-go, which is why they have it so compartmentalized for easy F2P conversion as someone mentioned earlier; everything ready for bite-sized payment pieces. They built the failure mode right into the game as a design benefit for later on. That says a lot considering how much they spent.

It's not going to end up as desolate as WAR I don't think, and it's not that bad of a game overall that it deserves that fate. But we'll see how bad the cash shop will be and what 'free' people can actually play. If it's as restrictive as TOR, that will be a mistake because I don't think this game has that kind of loyal playerbase to stick around for that like Star Wars junkies did. If it's as permissive as Rift, that's even worse because people will never spend money for brown clothes to wear if that's all they have to pay for.

That's all anyone will remember in a few months that have any sense, not if 'your guy' was right that they didn't have stuff poorly itemized or what else.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
Neither you nor Resc/Blackwulf were 100% right on anything. I guess the bottom line is... you said the game would tank, they said it won't. It does appear as if it's doing so from a distance. A few more months will probably solidify it and then F2P. Personally, I think they actually realized it was in trouble from the get-go, which is why they have it so compartmentalized for easy F2P conversion as someone mentioned earlier; everything ready for bite-sized payment pieces. They built the failure mode right into the game as a design benefit for later on. That says a lot considering how much they spent.

It's not going to end up as desolate as WAR I don't think, and it's not that bad of a game overall that it deserves that fate. But we'll see how bad the cash shop will be and what 'free' people can actually play. If it's as restrictive as TOR, that will be a mistake because I don't think this game has that kind of loyal playerbase to stick around for that like Star Wars junkies did. If it's as permissive as Rift, that's even worse because people will never spend money for brown clothes to wear if that's all they have to pay for.

That's all anyone will remember in a few months that have any sense, not if 'your guy' was right that they didn't have stuff poorly itemized or what else.
If people are going to judge a game failing by going F2P or not then you need to be prepared for every MMO to fail in that case. With the exception of WoW, every other MMO has increased its revenue by going F2P. This game will fail for this particular crowd, but there are 100s of people for every one of us on this forum that will enjoy it.

Pretty much the people that were excited or anticipated this titles release was based off of the PvP structure. The PvP in this game and in others that try this massive sprawling zone where 100s of people migrate to each other and spam AEs for hours is fucking boring. Couple that with the fact that most people from these boards got to rank 10 by using a broken bat spam and ran in literal circles for 60+ hrs hitting 2 buttons and are now bored, it makes perfect sense why people from here are un-subbing.

Vitality

HUSTLE

I wouldn't put too much weight on these guys' words, they didnt even make it to 50 let alone rank 10+ in cyrodiil.

spronk

FPS noob
game is $40 at amazon/best buy/gamestop this week, I expect in another month or two it'll be easy to buy for $20 although it will be kinda weird for the console version to msrp at a full $60 and the pc version next to it be $20-30.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't put too much weight on these guys' words, they didnt even make it to 50 let alone rank 10+ in cyrodiil.
Hey, don't use past tense; I am still leveling, although I don't think I am going to do burn through all the content doing VRs. I think I would prefer to just do an alt. If nothing else I will just follow Jesica around Cyrodiil on Saturdays for a while and see where that lands me once I finish the main quest.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's worth messing around with for a few weeks if you can get a good deal. PVP is shitty, but the PVE/Class system is fun to tinker with as you level.

If I had to do a quest driven game like this, I much prefer TESO to any other quest driven system out there. I prefer story/kill big bad guy vs. kill 50 bears and and collect 20 asses.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It's worth messing around with for a few weeks if you can get a good deal. PVP is shitty, but the PVE/Class system is fun to tinker with as you level.

If I had to do a quest driven game like this, I much prefer TESO to any other quest driven system out there. I prefer story/kill big bad guy vs. kill 50 bears and and collect 20 asses.
I'm a fan of asses, so I'm on the other spectrum here. Especially when the big bad guy only loots 3 gold.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately at the upper eschelon of ESO's class system are very apparent Pidgeon Holes. DK's run Banner Talons and do PBAE Tackling - Templars spam heals - Who fucking knows what nightblades do - Sorcs are Negate Magic bots.

If you run into a group and don't do these things, you get murdered in Cyrodiil. (At least you used to.)

At the risk of sounding like an AA shill, have you played/looked into Archeage yet? It's class system shits on this games' 100%

Pidgeon holes are fairly limited here, because you can be 3 classes in one. Not One class with tons of weapons.

You ever play Titan Quest? AA's class system is a lot like TQ's.
Yeah the class system in ESO is interesting and modular in neat ways, but because of balancing issues the endgame in PVP has some strong pidgeonholes like you say.

If they worked really hard, were talented and were willing to take more risks, you might see a more interesting system develop from having every class get access to all skill trees but a few class-specific ones. This would be even more true if the itemization and soft-caps weren't so shitty. The ideas behind most of the ultimates are good, they just have been given only a passing thought as to balance in PVP. I'd even go so far as to say the classes (DK, sorc, NB, templar) should work like the vamp/ww dynamic, where each character can switch to the other with some effort.

With the kind of open-ended way they left the class design there's huge potential for mixing and matching abilities to get some interesting synergies and counters. Unfortunately the implementation of the system results in exactly what you said. I mean even the most clear-cut rock-paper-scissors combination was designed with vamp/ww vs fighters guild vs everyone else. But because balancing sucked a fighter's guild specced character wasn't an effective counter to vamps and WW is shit all around.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Put me in the group that wants to be a nameless soldier who is in a harsh world that doesn't care about you and the only way to earn fame is to do it by earning it with other players. Killing Molag Bal was an exercise in mediocrity. But being one of the first people on a server to get an epic in EQ? Or being one of the first people to mount Onyxia's head? That was something else. When everyone gets an onyxia head to mount in their own little shitty phase, it's bland and shrugworthy.