The End of Days - Ours. Planning for the Last Raid Boss

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
When I was a kid, an idea I had was for the us to have a geriatric brigade. Basically old guys get decked out in guns and bombs, no food or survival gear and get dropped into North Korea or something and allowed to go down wrecking stuff.

Or there's the age old go parachuting and don't pull the cord.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Firearms are too messy and you are an asshole for doing it were EMS have to clean up your mess. If you are an invalid, you wont be able to go out into the country, and even if you did manage it, any corpse discovered in the wild will still need to be cleaned up. There aren't too many places to hide your own grave.

So, if you are really close to the end of your life and plan to go out on your own terms, helium is a much better planed death. You wont even feel it (go to sleep and never wake up). Also formulate a plan for calling EMS to come pick you up before you start to decay.

FRONTLINE episode on assisted suicide that goes over the helium thing:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some party shops have stopped selling those little disposable helium tanks because this route was getting more well known. But it is legit.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Firearms are too messy and you are an asshole for doing it were EMS have to clean up your mess. If you are an invalid, you wont be able to go out into the country, and even if you did manage it, any corpse discovered in the wild will still need to be cleaned up. There aren't too many places to hide your own grave.

So, if you are really close to the end of your life and plan to go out on your own terms, helium is a much better planed death. You wont even feel it (go to sleep and never wake up). Also formulate a plan for calling EMS to come pick you up before you start to decay.

FRONTLINE episode on assisted suicide that goes over the helium thing:
Lets be honest here. Many decades down the road when I am trying to decide the best path for my exit from our glorious world, If I told you I would take into account what EMS does or doesn't have to do I would be lying to you. It wont be high on my list. If that makes me a dick then well so be it. But at least I am being honest about it. And yes, I have enough means that if I fast approaching that form of physical breakdown then yes I can/will have a small place someplace in the wilds to enjoy my last days. I wont be taking this step in Midtown Manhattan. Just me and nature. As God intended.

I hadn't heard of the helium thing. I will take a look. My overall preference for the gauge is that its a tried and true method with a 100% success rate.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some of these costs are just insane...

1633283517699.png

Burns

Lets be honest here. Many decades down the road when I am trying to decide the best path for my exit from our glorious world, If I told you I would take into account what EMS does or doesn't have to do I would be lying to you. It wont be high on my list. If that makes me a dick then well so be it. But at least I am being honest about it. And yes, I have enough means that if I fast approaching that form of physical breakdown then yes I can/will have a small place someplace in the wilds to enjoy my last days. I wont be taking this step in Midtown Manhattan. Just me and nature. As God intended.

I hadn't heard of the helium thing. I will take a look. My overall preference for the gauge is that its a tried and true method with a 100% success rate.

Right, but isn't thinking about all the angles part of planning for such contingencies?

You can say you have a perfect death planned out, watching some sunset in the Rockies or on a deserted island, but that's a pipe dream when you reach the age that your looking at being forced into assisted living. So ideally, you have a few back up plans and since you are planning for it, you can take into account the poor saps that have to clean up your corpse.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Right, but isn't thinking about all the angles part of planning for such contingencies?

You can say you have a perfect death planned out, watching some sunset in the Rockies or on a deserted island, but that's a pipe dream when you reach the age that your looking at being forced into assisted living. So ideally, you have a few back up plans and since you are planning for it, you can take into account the poor saps that have to clean up your corpse.
Fair enough. I promise to at least consider it. You aren't by chance an EMT are you?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yea, this is why i always advocate for self jerle in a seedy motel, you don't want your loved ones finding your body all decrepit, leave that for the illegal alien maid and shitty ems workers

i mean of course, if you are gonna jerle, nothings stopping you from going to a hilton or whatever 5star either.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yea, this is why i always advocate for self jerle in a seedy motel, you don't want your loved ones finding your body all decrepit, leave that for the illegal alien maid and shitty ems workers

i mean of course, if you are gonna jerle, nothings stopping you from going to a hilton or whatever 5star either.
Nah, why cause the other residents the madness.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
why would you want to go kurt cobain style, and most likely was a hit paid by courtney love anyways

you want your body found asap, so no one has to worry
Its not going to be a super secret. "hey, has anyone seen Sanrith the last few weeks?" Set it up, hope the need to take the path never comes, but if it does then have a fond farewell and then Sayanora Robocop.

Burns

Fair enough. I promise to at least consider it. You aren't by chance an EMT are you?

Not an EMT, but had family that was. One started as paramedic, then moved moved to the fire department because fire was a less stressful job.

I have also read about the mental toll it takes on EMS that have to respond, over and over again to these scenes. I would wager it is the young suicides that fuck them up the most, but it is still a mess that they have to sift through.

• 1Like

Musab

Molten Core Raider

I'm hoping the Soylent Green assistance comes along within the next few years. Otherwise, it's a slug center of chest in minecraft.

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I think about this a fair bit now that I've hit middle age, as my mom died in her 50's after a terrible and uselessly long struggle with cancer and my dad's parents lived into their late 90's and were barely conscious at the end, totally derailing my aunt's life when she became caretaker. (Fortunately they had the resources to do so gracefully, but still.) I'm not in a hurry to check out due to the toll it would take on my kids and wife, but if I faced a truly intractable situation it's a hard nope on making everyone around me watch me wither into a physical or mental shell of myself. Every variation there is horrific, and I'd rather be seen as exiting too early. One of my real existential fears is if I do end up with dementia/Alzheimer's/equivalent, will I be capable of recognizing the point of no return?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think about this a fair bit now that I've hit middle age, as my mom died in her 50's after a terrible and uselessly long struggle with cancer and my dad's parents lived into their late 90's and were barely conscious at the end. (Fortunately they had the resources to do so gracefully, but still.) I'm not in a hurry to check out due to the toll it would take on my kids and wife, but if I faced a truly intractable situation it's a hard nope on making everyone around me watch me wither into a physical or mental shell of myself. Every variation there is horrific, and I'd rather be seen as exiting too early. On of my real existential fears is I do end up with dementia/Alzheimer's/equivalent, will I be capable of recognizing the point of no return.
Its almost like the best answer is to form a Dementia/Alzheimer's pack with your best friends. Unfortunately the laws are unkind to that sort of thing. "It wasn't murder officer, it was a peaceful protest".

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
a Dementia/Alzheimer's pack with your best friends

Yeah. I wonder if there will eventually be some kind of literal dead man's switch, where if you don't have the presence of mind to reset the timer it takes you out.

One of the very few places where I have a strong disagreement with my wife is that she's in the "keep everyone alive as long as possible in case medicine advances and can cure your condition" camp. I'm much more interested in minimizing transitional misery. Whatever happens will have to be self-actuated.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Not an EMT, but had family that was. One started as paramedic, then moved moved to the fire department because fire was a less stressful job.

I have also read about the mental toll it takes on EMS that have to respond, over and over again to these scenes. I would wager it is the young suicides that fuck them up the most, but it is still a mess that they have to sift through.
Weird. This whole time I thought being an EMS meant you understood you'd occasionally have to "clean up" really horrible situations. Who knew this whole time they were just there to answer calls for Mertle, who forgot where her BP meds are located and is having a panic attack.

"Yeah, I know I signed up for this job, buuuuut...I was kinda expecting not to have to do it, but still get paid?"

• 1Solidarity