The End of Days - Ours. Planning for the Last Raid Boss

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Its almost like the best answer is to form a Dementia/Alzheimer's pack with your best friends. Unfortunately the laws are unkind to that sort of thing. "It wasn't murder officer, it was a peaceful protest".
my wife and i watched that julliane moore movie, still alice where she realizes she gets alzhiemers and documents the decline and at the end my wife was like "please kill me if it comes to that" (i think in the end the faggot husband just left her to rot and have kids care for her)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
my wife and i watched that julliane moore movie, still alice where she realizes she gets alzhiemers and documents the decline and at the end my wife was like "please kill me if it comes to that" (i think in the end the faggot husband just left her to rot and have kids care for her)
Scary as fuck.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Scary as fuck.
I used to think that too, because I'm a conscious, aware, in-charge of my faculties human. But, if this is happening, you literally don't even know/recognize it. Sure, your dignity is shot, but again...you don't know. I'm not certain that level of ignorance is the worst thing in the world.

I'm FAR more concerned about my body deteriorating to the point I can no longer move much, get out of bed in the morning, etc. That's the point where I'm punching my ticket. The only downside in that scenario is not being able to go out in a blaze of glory.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Weird. This whole time I thought being an EMS meant you understood you'd occasionally have to "clean up" really horrible situations. Who knew this whole time they were just there to answer calls for Mertle, who forgot where her BP meds are located and is having a panic attack.

"Yeah, I know I signed up for this job, buuuuut...I was kinda expecting not to have to do it, but still get paid?"

Right, so lets just throw our shit all over everything and say "Welp, I'm not an asshole cause the janitor understood that he would have to clean up shit off the ceilings when he took the job."

If AngryGerbil AngryGerbil is still around, you can ask him why he signed up for EMS and what he thinks of messy suicide cases.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Right, so lets just throw our shit all over everything and say "Welp, I'm not an asshole cause the janitor understood that he would have to clean up shit off the ceilings when he took the job."
Uhh...yes? I'm not flipping the fuck out and losing my shit because my industry (logistics and transportation) is an absolute shitshow right now, completely because of poor leadership in various countries, companies, etc. You know what I do? My fuckin' job that I signed up for, even when it sucks.

"Sure, I'll get that freight to its destination, but only if it doesn't come with delays and tracking! Once it requires more than two e-mails, no thanks!".

Burns

Uhh...yes? I'm not flipping the fuck out and losing my shit because my industry (logistics and transportation) is an absolute shitshow right now, completely because of poor leadership in various countries, companies, etc. You know what I do? My fuckin' job that I signed up for, even when it sucks.

"Sure, I'll get that freight to its destination, but only if it doesn't come with delays and tracking! Once it requires more than two e-mails, no thanks!".

Who is flipping the fuck out? In your situation, you don't think the poor leadership people are are a bunch of assholes for fucking things up? If you could find better pay for easier work in a related field, you wouldn't take it? WTF are you even talking about?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Who is flipping the fuck out? In your situation, you don't think the poor leadership people are are a bunch of assholes for fucking things up?
No, I just think they're idiots. But, I also didn't take the job assuming that it'd always be smooth fucking sailing. I knew I'd have to occasionally deal with fuckups. Pandemics will happen, ports will close, trucking labor shortages will occur, etc. Just like an EMS has to account for the fact they'll eventually have to deal with a really tough "scene" - suicide, children, etc. It's part of the fuckin' gig.
If you could find better pay for easier work in a related field, you wouldn't take it?
Yes, I would. And it's my right to begin that search when shit is "too much" - just like EMS' can find other work when it all becomes more than they can deal with. It's like being a plumber and being pissed that you have to occasionally go into a crawlspace and get dirty to fix a busted pipe.

It's just mind blowing that in this day and age it's OTHER people's fault for having to do work that is part of the job description..

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's just mind blowing that in this day and age it's OTHER people's fault for having to do work that is part of the job description..
I think there's a fair point here about exercising some basic consideration by not making an avoidable mess that other people will have to clean up. Just because there is someone getting paid to clean it up doesn't mean you're absolved of any responsibility in making it. Whining about jobs aside, which is a better world to leave behind - one where you splatter yourself on the walls or one where you don't?

Edit: As far as bodies wearing out, I've got an (fortunately minor) firsthand taste of that. I'm 42 and have had eight orthopedic surgeries, after which I'm left with one significantly arthritic hip and one semi-functional knee. While I'm still fine day to day, not being able to ride a bike or play soccer with my kids is enough of a taste of mortality to keep it front of mind.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think there's a fair point here about exercising some basic consideration by not making an avoidable mess that other people will have to clean up. Just because there is someone getting paid to clean it up doesn't mean you're absolved of any responsibility in making it. Whining about jobs aside, which is a better world to leave behind - one where you splatter yourself on the walls or one where you don't?
You aren't wrong. That being said, there is the reality of a person choosing to end their existence eating a bullet might not see it as that much of a priority as making sure the job gets done correctly.

• 1Like

Burns

No, I just think they're idiots. But, I also didn't take the job assuming that it'd always be smooth fucking sailing. I knew I'd have to occasionally deal with fuckups. Pandemics will happen, ports will close, trucking labor shortages will occur, etc. Just like an EMS has to account for the fact they'll eventually have to deal with a really tough "scene" - suicide, children, etc. It's part of the fuckin' gig.

Yes, I would. And it's my right to begin that search when shit is "too much" - just like EMS' can find other work when it all becomes more than they can deal with. It's like being a plumber and being pissed that you have to occasionally go into a crawlspace and get dirty to fix a busted pipe.

Of course it is the suicide persons fault for leaving a big fucking mess to clean up. They chose to suicide and holding them responsible seems like personal accountability to me. Therefor they are the asshole for making others clean up their mess.

Are you trying to say that seeing horrific shit somehow shouldn't affect people or that we shouldn't try to reduce the stress those experiences course for EMS personnel, simple because they "signed up" to try to save people's lives, and seeing someone's brains all over the wall is "part of the job?"

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Fuck that, do it in a public bathroom in the busiest mall possible, during peak shopping season, and inconvenience as many people as possible. Eat as much taco bell as you can and make sure you give your bowels time to load before you do it, punish the world.

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Fuck that, do it in a public bathroom in the busiest mall possible, during peak shopping season, and inconvenience as many people as possible. Eat as much taco bell as you can and make sure you give your bowels time to load before you do it, punish the world.

The passive aggressive punish the world plan. It may work.

Historically, the suicidal types that want to punish the world, do things a bit differently...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The passive aggressive punish the world plan. It may work.

Historically, the suicidal types that want to punish the world, do things a bit differently...
1633384415571.png

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Of course it is the suicide persons fault for leaving a big fucking mess to clean up. They chose to suicide and holding them responsible seems like personal accountability to me. Therefor they are the asshole for making others clean up their mess.

Are you trying to say that seeing horrific shit somehow shouldn't affect people or that we shouldn't try to reduce the stress those experiences course for EMS personnel, simple because they "signed up" to try to save people's lives, and seeing someone's brains all over the wall is "part of the job?"
It isn't my responsibility to reduce the "stress" of a job THEY chose, no. I'm not saying you go throw yourself off a roof into a schoolyard full of kids, but I don't see how going to some cabin out in the woods, calling 911 and saying, "hey, heads up (pun intended), I'm going to be having a brain blowout as soon as I hang up the call. Just FYI - clean it up if you want or let the bears get me, either way...Seacrest, out!" is some "horrific" inconvenience.
This guy fucks.

• 1Like

Burns

It isn't my responsibility to reduce the "stress" of a job THEY chose, no. I'm not saying you go throw yourself off a roof into a schoolyard full of kids, but I don't see how going to some cabin out in the woods, calling 911 and saying, "hey, heads up (pun intended), I'm going to be having a brain blowout as soon as I hang up the call. Just FYI - clean it up if you want or let the bears get me, either way...Seacrest, out!" is some "horrific" inconvenience.

Of course it isn't your responsibility to make some ones job better, I never claimed it was. Making a persons job easier, when you have the ability to easily do so, is a courtesy.

Generally uncourteous (rude) people are also called assholes. If you want to be an asshole, own it. In some circumstances, I am fine being the asshole. When it comes to EMS jobs, I consider them to be one the most difficult in the country; so I will always try to exert the extra effort to make their day a little less shitty.

What is considered rude and where the line is for crossing over into rude behavior is also regional. For example, I have only met a few people from New York City that I didn't find to be assholes (but I try not to hold that against them). On the other hand, I have only met a few Texas born people that I would consider rude (one of them has been friend since high school).

elbas

Molten Core Raider
One thing I would really like is a kind of dead man switch I could get implanted that would end me if I didn't interact with it on a regular basis. Something like the reverse of a pacemaker. Then if I don't wave a sensor over my heart at least once every X months, the device will randomly activate to stop my heart in my sleep at some point over the next Y months. This way I can make the decision to have it implemented when I'm in the early stages of a degenerative disease. I can keep living as long as I'm able to remember to keep it activated. But once I start forgetting to do that, it's time to turn out the lights. This way my family doesn't have to have to deal with a messy suicide or deal with me in decline for years. Once the decline starts, it won't last very long.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its almost like the best answer is to form a Dementia/Alzheimer's pack with your best friends. Unfortunately the laws are unkind to that sort of thing. "It wasn't murder officer, it was a peaceful protest".
No no no it was a case of mutual combat.

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
If you are going to punch out, take the person you hate the most with you.

• 1Like