The Evil Within - Betheseda/Shinji Mikami

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
tried out the flawless widescreen with no avail, this is how the screen looks on any resolution i switch to full screen.
rrr_img_79213.jpg

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Weird. It definitely looks like something is trying to supersample the image but is failing to scale it back down to your display's native resolution. If not DSR, then I don't know what it could be though.

I've switched to playing the game with r_skipglare 1 set via the console. It removes the the full screen tint filter. It's probably a bastardization of what the graphics designer was going for, especially if the story is as Silent Hill-ish as it seems at first glance (I'm only in Ch.3) but I don't care, I like it better this way.

evilwithin2014-10-160btqev.png

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Ridiculous question but what button do you bring up the console with? I'm not running from Steam and I've added the switch command in the target.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
sorry Daly running with Steam here.

Those invisible tentacle mouth things, fuck those, haven't jumped that high from a video game in a while.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Weird. It definitely looks like something is trying to supersample the image but is failing to scale it back down to your display's native resolution. If not DSR, then I don't know what it could be though.

I've switched to playing the game with r_skipglare 1 set via the console. It removes the the full screen tint filter. It's probably a bastardization of what the graphics designer was going for, especially if the story is as Silent Hill-ish as it seems at first glance (I'm only in Ch.3) but I don't care, I like it better this way.

evilwithin2014-10-160btqev.png
for some reason idk why I like that look better.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Chapter 6+ I'm starting to get into it now - not sure I'd C- it anymore, first chapters were terribad though.
Chapter 3 just had me rage quit. Not scary just stupid bs to get that gate open.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
you can stealth kill almost everyone in the village, then pre-game the chainsaw guy with explosive bolts, throw in a grenade to release him. he died to 4-5 shotgun shots after that.

on an aside i just got to chapter 6, really enjoying the game so far.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
you can stealth kill almost everyone in the village, then pre-game the chainsaw guy with explosive bolts, throw in a grenade to release him. he died to 4-5 shotgun shots after that.

on an aside i just got to chapter 6, really enjoying the game so far.
Lol yeah I was more or less bull rushing the mobs. Any advice what to chair upgrade first?

supertouch_sl

shitlord
You can't really win with this genre.

Make a true successor to the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series and you're accused of stubbornly preserving outdated game design. Release something like Resident Evil 5 and you're criticized for abandoning the fundamental elements of the survival horror genre.

At any rate, I thought The Evil Within was terrifying and thrilling and it was obvious from the first chapter that a lot of love and care went into the game.

Vorph

Sure you can. Dead Space (1, maybe 2 to a lesser extent, and 3 not at all), Siren, Penumbra/Amnesia, Alan Wake (nightmare difficulty only), Outlast, and Alien: Isolation are all excellent examples of keeping the fundamental elements of the genre without clinging to shitty game design such as tank controls or not being able to aim and move at the same time. I'd even put RE: Revelations far above Evil Within. Hell, even The Last of Us on its hardest difficulty is far more of a survival horror game.

Maybe my opinion of the game would be better if they allowed you to play Nightmare or Akumu right out of the gate. Speaking of shitty game design, unlockable difficulties are pretty high up on that list as well. I don't have the time (too many other things to play) or inclination to replay games. All I know is that Survival difficulty is too fucking easy to be called survival horror. I have not finished the game yet, but I'm constantly full on ammo, matches, syringes, etc. I'd start over if I could find a console command to unlock Akumu, but I've had no luck with that.

That said, I don't think it's a bad game and I do enjoy it for what it is. It just isn't survival horror in my book, I guess I'd just call it a gory TPS.

Vaclav

I'm playing through on Akumu now, Vorph. It's no joke - literally a scratch kills. And I'd mostly agree on the "not survival horror" statement. There's a few parts where resource management is an issue, but unless you're ignoring spending Green Gel or some other handicapping it doesn't seem THAT bad. (Although I'm on Chapter 3 for Akumu mode, so that might change in deep Akumu - but that's a second playthrough minimum as you stated)

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Story was good for what it was, i wish it had a few more answers to the questions that arose.

I also feel like the game shifted gears around chapter 7 and became waaaaay too much a shooter.

explaining this as easy as possible, Ruvic does crazy research as a kid, his sister dies in fire (becomes a spider woman in the dream world) saves him. his dad locks him in the basement until he breaks out and murders him and his mother, he continues making donations to the hospital just to get test subjects. Dr. Jimenez publishes ruvic's research with his name on it instead of Ruvic and them hooks Ruvic up to his own STEM machine.

Sometime around this time Sebastian is kidnapped because he was getting "to close" to the people who killed his daughter (just like his wife) so they kidnapped him too and hooked up him to the same machine. Leslie and Joseph were also hooked up to the machine. Ruvic was going to use Leslie as a way to escape the machine and come back into the real world and be more than just a brain.

Ruvic successfully makes it out due to the last scene Leslie wasn't limping anymore

This doesn't explain why did the "shadowy group" kill Sebastians daughter to begin with?
Was Sebastians wife hooked up to a STEM machine?
Why was Kidman in the dream world when she obviously worked for the company?
Why did Leslie have crazy powers?
Why was the nurse in the dream and the real world, with the newspapers talking about psychopath serial killers and her being found dead?

Vaclav

Working through Akumu again (took a break earlier to get the "no upgrade" trophy knocked out before I went back to it) - just reached Chapter 11 - it's a pretty damn intense difficulty. Basically all downhill now though the Chapter 10 boss fights were really what was worrying me, and with those in the rearview it's tons of trash mobs and a handful of bosses with the Magnum now available.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
started Alien Isolation and haven't had any desire to play this again.

Vaclav

Still no sign of AI - but just beat Akumu mode - holy crap some of the sections are ridiculous. It bewilders me why they didn't make it available from the getgo though for those that want an abusively difficult game from the getgo like Survival Horror "should be".

It finally felt like a respectable Survival Horror on Akumu (maybe on Nightmare too, but for trophy reasons it's a pointless difficulty to run) - seems like some people that complained like Vorph would've been silenced if they'd just made it available without multiple plays. After a full playthrough and enjoying Akumu I'm not sure if I'd raise the rating from earlier much though - simply because of the number of hoops involved in making the game feel like Survival Horror - Akumu was fun, but realistically I can see alot of people quitting before they even unlock Nightmare, much less Akumu.