The Evil Within - Betheseda/Shinji Mikami

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Anyone playing this on PC?

My pc destroys what this game requires, but the controls feel so godamn sluggish almost laggy, when I scroll my mouse around its so awkward, like theres crazy mouse acceleration or something its just not smooth at all.

like trying to move the cursor slightly is impossible like its not reading, it goes insanely slow and retarded to insanely fast and responsive.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Try setting Max Pre-rendered Frames to 1 in your control panel/Nvidia inspector*. Or just use a gamepad. It's an incredibly lazy port that can only be partially fixed with console commands, so I wouldn't be surprised if the mouse controls never work properly no matter what you do.

*-It's called Flip Queue Size if you use AMD hardware, and unfortunately you can't change it in DX11 games for some reason I've never really understood. I vaguely recall you saying you had a Nvidia GPU anyway.

vulken3_sl

shitlord
Finally tried this at my friends house on ps4.

Was not as bad as I had thought the control scheme would be . I still however did not get into the game although that may just be my taste in gaming.

Still keeping my opinion of ps2 style game mechanics with a slightly better then ps3 graphics for ps4 though.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
did that fix your issue Tecknoe? still debating on if i want to download this or not, like Vorph said seems lazy at this point. =/

Vaclav

It's playable, the story is hard to follow, the scares seem slight to me thusfar - but overall it's probably C- territory. Definitely playable, but with so much good stuff coming up, I'd probably wait unless you're DESPERATE for a game to play over Halloween. (or if you hate having extra money in your wallet)

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Try setting Max Pre-rendered Frames to 1 in your control panel/Nvidia inspector*. Or just use a gamepad. It's an incredibly lazy port that can only be partially fixed with console commands, so I wouldn't be surprised if the mouse controls never work properly no matter what you do.

*-It's called Flip Queue Size if you use AMD hardware, and unfortunately you can't change it in DX11 games for some reason I've never really understood. I vaguely recall you saying you had a Nvidia GPU anyway.
what exactly is this? I have the NVidia auto update or w/e it optimizes games for you etc, is that what you mean? sorry im na?ve to this.

I guess im gonna have to break down and buy that shitty wireless receiver for xbox 360, and use my wireless controller than way, or is there a cheaper way? I don't got any wired controllers.

haven't tried it yet sumdain im kinda dumb when It comes to this stuff so itl take me a few to figure it out lol, no idea what NVidia inspector is, I got the NVidia GeForce experience that optimizes the games for me.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Just get Alien Isolation instead. It destroys this game.
how so? I cant really get behind it after the reviews, people say the alien isn't even scary and once you realized hes basically tethered to you, the game loses everything it had.

Idk the reviews for alien iso, don't seem that much better than this, almost a personal taste of space/aliens, or old school monsters / horror game.

Vorph

what exactly is this? I have the NVidia auto update or w/e it optimizes games for you etc, is that what you mean? sorry im na?ve to this.
NVIDIA Inspector Download version 1.9.7.3

You don't need Inspector to change Max Pre-Rendered Frames, it's just something most people that tweak their game settings use. If you're just looking to change it to test whether it helps one particular game, it's also in the Nvidia control panel, under 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings. You probably don't want to change it globally as it can make some games stutter, so create a new profile for Evil Within, then scroll almost all the way to the bottom and you should see Max Pre-Rendered Frames. Set it to 1 and save the profile, then try the game.

Also, I've seen people say that once they unlocked the framerate to 60 fps and fixed the FOV (not easy to do yet, but there should be a plugin for Flawless Widescreen available soon) their mouse problems went away. I'm still going to play it with my DS3 regardless. Not touching it at all until I can set the aspect ratio to 1.8 and remove the gigantic black bars without the camera being shoved up the main character's ass though.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
NVIDIA Inspector Download version 1.9.7.3

You don't need Inspector to change Max Pre-Rendered Frames, it's just something most people that tweak their game settings use. If you're just looking to change it to test whether it helps one particular game, it's also in the Nvidia control panel, under 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings. You probably don't want to change it globally as it can make some games stutter, so create a new profile for Evil Within, then scroll almost all the way to the bottom and you should see Max Pre-Rendered Frames. Set it to 1 and save the profile, then try the game.

Also, I've seen people say that once they unlocked the framerate to 60 fps and fixed the FOV (not easy to do yet, but there should be a plugin for Flawless Widescreen available soon) their mouse problems went away. I'm still going to play it with my DS3 regardless. Not touching it at all until I can set the aspect ratio to 1.8 and remove the gigantic black bars without the camera being shoved up the main character's ass though.
damn really disappointed seems like a lot of work to get it to run correct.... is switching the fps and FoV really that painful? any chance you could link me the site you read all this on? I mean ill give it a go because I really wanted to play this one, I don't normally like single player games.

I don't have any wired controllers so best bet for me would be to buy the wireless receiver for the 360 and hook up my wireless that way.

and yeah there needs to be away to zoom out a bit, the camera is way to farr up my dudes ass.

Vorph

The problem is that if you just remove the black bars by changing the aspect ratio from 2.5 to 1.8 you end up going from this:
250way8f.png

to this:
178oryo1.png

The game needs a fix that also puts the FOV back where it belongs, which is what the flawlesswidescreen plugin will do. There's a way to do it now with cheatengine but I'd rather just wait for a proper fix.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
downloaded, i am having the same Mouse issues TecKnoe was having. the mouse would jump all the way across the screen on menus and disappear and reappear at random spots. i followed Vorph's advice changed the pre-rendered and now it stopped randomly jumping but it just moves incredibly sluggish with a noticeable delay. I read that it gets better "in-game" but i had to head into work and didn't get a chance to get past the menus.

also i am playing this on a pretty beefy laptop but playing this on any of the resolutions i tested so far cuts off half the screen (not the black bars) just down the middle, my video drivers are up to date, ill attach pics later.

Vorph

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
the game plays really smooth at 60 FPS and it seems to have solved my mouse issues as well. i am still having to play the game in windowed mode (@3kx1800) due to switching to Fullscreen it chops the screen down the middle.

Vorph

Try usingFlawless Widescreenand see if that fixes your fullscreen problem. There's an Evil Within plug-in now that handles all the aspect ratio and FOV stuff. Works great for me at 1080p so far, black bars are gone but the camera isn't zoomed ridiculously far in.

Vaclav

Chapter 6+ I'm starting to get into it now - not sure I'd C- it anymore, first chapters were terribad though.