The Evil Within - Betheseda/Shinji Mikami

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is this a glorified Clock Tower / Alien: Isolation / Outlast?
Would that really be a bad thing?

But no, my understanding is that it's more like Silent Hill in terms of how much the protagonist is able to fight back. You're not completely helpless, but it's pretty far from just being a TPS with some horror elements like Resident Evil has become.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Almost everything has a press embargo now. And even when reviews get published early, there are often strings attached (see: the shady shit WBIE pulled with Shadows of Mordor).
Never heard what WBIE did. What happened? Paid off?

Vaclav

Dunno how it will be but looking forward to grabbing it early tomorrow - the pedigree behind it is good so hopefully resulting game follows suit.

(Although with BL:pS coming out too and the wife obviously being demanding of time on it - we'll see how much I get to play it)

its less scary than A:I and more like RE4, its more action focused with lots of gore and less survival horrorish
there are also some really badly designed spots, eg where you fight those two giants and all you need to do to kill them is hide and let Joseph snipe them from the top and he can't even die to them because plot immunity

Dis

Confirmed Male
What Hatorade said. Traded in Destiny for 40 buck Best Buy gift card to buy Evil Within. Guess I will be holding onto it a little longer. Thinking about going back to Gamefly.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying it so far for what it is. It uses the ID Tech 5 engine, so SLI is straight out. Can't wait to upgrade video cards, I'm never messing with SLI again.

I'm only a bit in the game so far, but enjoy the environments, and I like that you're rewarded for exploring. Mild upgrades and disarming traps for parts reminds me of The Last of Us a bit.

spronk

FPS noob
how scary is it? I really don't like scary games, TLOU is pretty much the most i'd play and only cuz the characters/story, i've never played any Resident Evils or Silent Hill etc. I'm gonna try this game out but its probably too spooky for me
frown.png

Vaclav

how scary is it? I really don't like scary games, TLOU is pretty much the most i'd play and only cuz the characters/story, i've never played any Resident Evils or Silent Hill etc. I'm gonna try this game out but its probably too spooky for me
frown.png
I'm pretty hard to stun with horror - and thusfar, it's thrown gore at me (immune, high level) and a jump scare starting in one Chapter 3. Good game so far though. I think the comparison to RE4 above is apt. (although it seems like he implies it's a weak title - when it's the best RE by a mile - best of the series, period).

Vaclav

On a scale of 1 to dog-jumping-through-window-behind-you what would you rate the terror factor?
The dogs in RE1 never scared me - even when I was like 15 or whatever at the time... terrible person to ask. I've always been so numb to jump scares.

But from my perspective of being numb to it, the "quick WTF factor" of the jump scare early on was seemed similar in speed, worse in severity of what was being witnessed.

Dead Space is scarier than this one but the sparse ammo situation is about the same
it does have some wtf stuff in it though and the story won't make much sense at first

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
How is the story after you get into it?

was really hoping for a RE1-like experience, maybe a little Silent Hill, I still put SH as the creepiest game i've played, fuck those ghost babies. i saw someone mention before its chapter based? so not RE like where you have to run back and solve puzzles from the beginning? Any idea of how long it is playtime wise? is there tons of cutscenes every 2 feet? lots of exploration options?

sorry for all the questions, just considering if i want to attempt to do a 50gb download on an internet connection that consists of a can and some string.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
How is the story after you get into it?

was really hoping for a RE1-like experience, maybe a little Silent Hill, I still put SH as the creepiest game i've played, fuck those ghost babies. i saw someone mention before its chapter based? so not RE like where you have to run back and solve puzzles from the beginning? Any idea of how long it is playtime wise? is there tons of cutscenes every 2 feet? lots of exploration options?

sorry for all the questions, just considering if i want to attempt to do a 50gb download on an internet connection that consists of a can and some string.
I'm not far enough in to be a good judge, but if you want a 'scary' type game but are afraid(heh) of the download size, try out Cry of Fear on Steam, it's free! Dated graphics as it uses the HL2 source engine, but has a great atmosphere and some WTF places. Obviously a free game can't compare, but I snagged it a few days before this one came out.