The Expanse

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Word of mouth certainly helped keep this show going, Syfy did a shit job of marketing it right out of the gate. That is one thing Amazon is not going to fuck up on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The SyFy method of promotion is as follows:

Step 1 :Air a metric fuckton of SyFy promos during every SyFy show because they can't actually sell commercials for anything but Xialis for daily use.​
Step 2 : ????​
Step 3 : Lose money​

I am a fan of most of their original shows and if it wasn't for the actors themselves retweeting promos I would never know when the damn things were even airing.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
SyFy... The network that Stargate built, but then became ashamed of it's upbringing and did an "edgy" name change to distance but eventually realized that they are, in fact, the network that Stargate built.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

expanse was the only syfy show to have positive growth from last season , up almost 8% in total viewers

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I don't really blame SyFy, they had a terrible deal they made back in 2014 or whenever they picked it up. They bought only the live, upfront airing rights and not the streaming rights which Alcon (BladeRunner, Dune) sold to Netflix for international and Amazon for domestic. In the past 2-3 years streaming has been the big $$ maker and advertising on live TV is shrinking hard, its hard to justify this kind of TV budget if you can't keep it on a ever increasing digital back catalog library. Amazon is desperate to build out a quality library, especially now with EVERYONE jumping into the new content streaming market.

I'm just glad there was no big monkey wrench like SyFy being able to keep the first 3 seasons which would make it difficult for amazon to pick it up or Netflix blocking because it had perpetual international rights or something. Hopefully the shows stays on the air for a while although honestly the books start going a bit downhill in quality from here on out, imo. Maybe the authors and showrunners recognize that and will fix it up a bit.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I'm half-way through S2 and still loving it. The only complaint that comes to mind is the 'diversity' casting for several of the characters. The biggest offenders being the women in the platoon of Mars Marines. I really dislike the lip-curled, snarling, tough woman trope. Maybe it's just personal preference, but for me it's so cringe and forced. I could never bring myself to watch more than a few episodes of Jessica Jones for the same reasons.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Ladro

Anomaly
So, I'm half-way through S2 and still loving it. The only complaint that comes to mind is the 'diversity' casting for several of the characters. The biggest offenders being the women in the platoon of Mars Marines. I really dislike the lip-curled, snarling, tough woman trope. Maybe it's just personal preference, but for me it's so cringe and forced. I could never bring myself to watch more than a few episodes of Jessica Jones for the same reasons.

Bobby is amazing, let her grow on you. She gets great.

• 4Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Pacific Islander genes, some bone density supplements, massive amounts of steroids, etc.

Its kinda bleh dumb, but there are a few dozen women on earth that could match a majority of men.

Yeah . . . its a stretch, but she is "ok". And its not diversity down your throat rape style like a lot of shows have gotten. Personally I can suspend some disbelief for a good show, and it stays under that threshold for me.

• 1Like

Cybsled

You also have to view it through the lens of the cultures in the show. While original Earth cultures help drive some of the character of the non-Earth cultures (Mars and the Belt), they are also products of their environment. Mars has a perpetual drive towards greatness and military superiority, kind of like a space age Sparta.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't misunderstand me. I get it, I just don't like it. I'm a veteran who was in a fairly high-speed job so I identify with these characters on a very loose and abstract level. I think that's why I have such a problem with women in these roles. I've seen women tested and they NEVER measure up. Even the best failed to perform. Average men perform better than well-above average women, so it's a little hard for me to embrace the fantasy of how a woman managed to elbow past men into a senior leadership role over what a appears to be a spear-tip combat unit.

And the scene where the Black dude got completely punked out by Bobbie and that White bitch....Oh lord, (puts on internet tough guy shirt) I would have swept the floor with the heads of those two bitches.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

Goatface

Book Bobbie is much better. 6'6" 220lb
the show didn't really get the point across how badass she is.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
its also 250 years in the future, in the Soy Wars of 2114 all men were forced to start drinking soy milk and cut their testosterone in half. Thats why everyone is in awe of Amos, his secret backstory is that he ate a lot of burgers as a kid

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Ladro

Anomaly
its also 250 years in the future, in the Soy Wars of 2114 all men were forced to start drinking soy milk and cut their testosterone in half. Thats why everyone is in awe of Amos, his secret backstory is that he ate a lot of burgers as a kid

And definitely not beef burgers. If that guy ate a burger it would be from rats he killed with his bare hands.

• 1Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Mars Military is all about their tech. They step foot on Earth and get all fucked up just trying to walk around.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Mars Military is all about their tech. They step foot on Earth and get all fucked up just trying to walk around.
Mars Marines train in 1G environments because they foresee attacking Earth directly as the end game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
They also stayed true to the book in casting though. There is no "We need a black woman and a pacific islander and lets recast that super soldier dude into a woman".

• 3Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Mars Marines train in 1G environments because they foresee attacking Earth directly as the end game.

It isn't the gravity, it is the sky. There was a whole episode about it.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It isn't the gravity, it is the sky. There was a whole episode about it.
Eh, they train with both but Bobbie had a bit when she left the embassy on earth the first time where she couldn't mentally process a domeless sky.

• 1Like

Goatface

don't remember atm, but did the books say what the martians did drug wise to combat living in low g?

there were bits about belters taking meds for bone growth and stuff and there was also guys on roids (?) in the riots

• 1Like