The Expanse

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Okay, so the last two responses have me convinced this show has nuance and is worth watching. That's really what I wanted to know.

"Is what is happening on screen because there is a story that is unfolding slowly with intent, or is what is happening on screen because the writers are doing what most writers do and just trying to hamfist a bunch of ideas they think will hit hard in a given moment onto the screen with no intent at all"

You guys have answered my question. Thanks for the detailed responses. I will continue watching.

At least give it until the end of the 1st season where it hints at what is to come. If you're not sold by then, you definitely won't be (though the political intrigue picks up which seems to be of interest to you)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Also I've been told by mods that this thread is aired-episodes SPOILER-FRIENDLY so prolly avoid it.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes, shows/movies focused on dialogue and on screen actions are shows/movies I tend to enjoy.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you keep watching it, a lot more things will happen that will be elided from the books. There are only a couple scenes with the mormons that explain why they're building the largest spaceship ever built. There's only a couple scenes that explain why belter creole is a complete mishmash and why their language is as much sign language and tattooes. They do a good job putting a lot of weight on those few scenes to explain everything from why the Martians became such a focused and disciplined "Texans in space" or why Fred Johnson DOES NOT speak with the belter language yet seems to lead one of the biggest belter factions, but it expects a lot from the audience to fill in the blanks.

If you're fine with piecing those things together through the show then you'll enjoy it and you'll be rewarded. But if you're the type to be turned off by unresolved nitpicking over things that are explained only in the novels, then I'd say just don't bother, because all that stuff is the sort of SUBTEXT the fans of the books appreciate so much---the belters use sign language and tattoos because they lived and worked in spacesuits for so long where direct verbal communication wasn't always optimal, the mormons want to build a ship that will carry generations across the stars and Fred Johnson was a UN Colonel who switched sides after being ordered to massacre innocent civilians.

It's nice that you dont necessarily need the books to understand many of those things, as well. Like the Mormons, they believe that the best, super duper Mormons get their own planets to populate (or some such) after they die (on earth), and they are stupid rich; so it's understandable and works well, that they would pay for a huge generational ship to find their prophet's planet. The ships doing a 1g burn until it gets close enough to its target to turn around and do a 1g burn deceleration, to keep gravity on the ship and to get to places faster, is physics.

While the mag boots they use are fictional future-tech, all the other stuff, like how a dead body & a bloody mess would react in low or no gravity (with or w/o boots active) is, again, just attention to physics. It's one of the great things about the show, and it makes sense that it's all from the books, as a book writer has more time to research and get the small stuff right.

The Belter creole is problematic in the show though, for practical reasons. It's difficult for actors to get made up languages and accents right, especially for one as complex as what it should be (if the books say every faction should sound a bit different). I doubt the show's original budget had money for a team of dialect coaches to work on it, like what would be needed to get everyone on the same level. So, I have often thought, during re-watches, that it would have been better if they picked a real accent and language that sounds foreign enough to a US audience, and went with it (to make it easier for actors to get it right).

Here are a couple things I couldnt figure out:
Is it answered in the books why Belters aren't constantly suffering under a 1g burn? In the show, they did some high G maneuvers, if it almost kills Alex, Holden, and Amos, shouldn't Naomi have been dead (does the juice magically work better for Belters)?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
The belters suffer more than the inners under high-g acceleration but in the books everyone is encased in gel on a crash couch, not just the fancy chairs they have in the show. In the book, the crash couch occupants are immersed into some kinda advanced gel that absorbs the worst of the acceleration along with with the drugs they're injected with. The books actually depict a few instances where people's limbs are dismembered or shattered because they weren't able to tuck them into the crash couch in time for a hard brake or a high-g maneuver. In the show the only thing that depicts that is the belter slingshot pilot getting splooshed when the belt stops his ship.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I too love how grounded the show is when it comes to realistic limitations and constraints of physics. Things like blood clotting and bleeding in zero-g had never occurred to me until it was brought up in this and it was shockingly obvious, but I don't ever remember seeing such a thing in another show or movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I finished S3 today and I really liked it, but I have a pretty big critique. I felt like Eps 12 & 13 had too much filler and not enough explaining what the fuck was actually happening ine the middle of the ring and what Holden saw etc. They wasted a lot of time on relationships i.g. the OPA Cap and 1st Officer. Maybe it's me, admittedly I am sleep deprived, been sleeping in a recliner for a over week and not sleeping more than 2 hours at any time. Anyway, on to S4.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I finished S3 today and I really liked it, but I have a pretty big critique. I felt like Eps 12 & 13 had too much filler and not enough explaining what the fuck was actually happening ine the middle of the ring and what Holden saw etc. They wasted a lot of time on relationships i.g. the OPA Cap and 1st Officer. Maybe it's me, admittedly I am sleep deprived, been sleeping in a recliner for a over week and not sleeping more than 2 hours at any time. Anyway, on to S4.

They expand on what he saw in the first ep of season 4, but not a lot.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys know this feeling when you randomly stumble across an absolutely incredible TV series and then see there's like four full seasons out already for you to binge over the holidays?

Who's the best character and why is it Amos?

• 9Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Of all the characters I actually thought Jared Harris did the best with the accent. Especially given his political shenanigans.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, so the last two responses have me convinced this show has nuance and is worth watching. That's really what I wanted to know.

"Is what is happening on screen because there is a story that is unfolding slowly with intent, or is what is happening on screen because the writers are doing what most writers do and just trying to hamfist a bunch of ideas they think will hit hard in a given moment onto the screen with no intent at all"

You guys have answered my question. Thanks for the detailed responses. I will continue watching.

This show doesn't just have nuance, it has pretty much the most nuance on television.

I had a really similar experience to you where early on things felt contrived and wrong. I think maybe also even I talked about it here and had khorum fill in shit for me, if I remember right lol, probably back a long ways tho since I picked up at the end of season 2.

I haven't read the books, but since realizing the level of nuance I've spent a good amount of time looking up articles / interviews and browsing through the Wiki. I remember specifically one article I read early on, with the creators detailing what they got wrong about Alex's "slingshot" maneuver around the Jovian moons in season 2, that convinced me how incredible the show was. They knew exactly what they got wrong, but they also knew the best way to portray it on screen so as to make it accurate as possible while still functioning in the confines of a 1 hour format television show. Really, man, stick with it, if this is how you're thinking about the show right now then I definitely think you're gonna grow to love it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I do not get the reaction from the Belters on Elos(sp?) to Holden and crew showing up. Guns drawn for the guy that opened all the rings and gave you access to your new planet? WTF?

One crew of 4 if gonna take you guys over on the ground? Top 5 Dumbest shit have seen on the show.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Fuck then spoilers I guess.

So they pull guns on 4 people that walk up with 1 of them being the most recognized person of Humankind. Still dumb as fuck.

Everyone is on edge as they're struggling to keep their claim on the planet, and then another group shows up with unclear motives. It's a pretty reasonable way to approach them showing up.

Also, Belters aren't really known for being reasonable or cautious

• 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Welp I just marathoned the 4 seasons in less than a week. Great show. Only complaint is how fugly Naomi is without hair, pls stop.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Finished season 4, still not quite as good as season 2 for me which is the best season of the show where everything just comes together perfectly. Book 4 wasn't my favorite book, honestly probably the weakest book in the series so far, so the fact that they made it semi interesting was a positive I guess. All the Bobbi stuff seemed new, I could be remembering wrong but I thought it went down very differently in the books.

Season 5 should definitely be interesting, I imagine it'll be a mix of book 5 and 6 to get all the pieces in the right places. Honestly my interest in the books has been waning for a while now, 5-8 are all just "ok" so hopefully a lot of rewriting is going on in the writers room.

Its a bit disappointing they didn't stretch the ultimate conflict on the planet a bit better in the show, it felt smaller and less interesting than the Ring station climax of season 3. That to me was the weakest part of the season, it was building up and building up to "what the fuck is going on with this planet" and it just kinda ended unsatisfactorily. I almost thought I skipped over an episode or something.

After Mr. Robot and Watchmen this season I kinda hate to admit but I prefer this kind of show on a weekly basis. Binging is great, but you can't read any internet threads about the show until you are done.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Fuck then spoilers I guess.

So they pull guns on 4 people that walk up with 1 of them being the most recognized person of Humankind. Still dumb as fuck.

A bunch of hired guns from a science ship, are fighting with a bunch of terrorists from a freighter, and a warship shows up that could force them to do whatever, and their bristling is strange?

Odd thing to nitpick imo