The Expanse

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is the problem with Binge watching. Yea that scene the doctor says it was an irreversible procedure that removes all empathy and later on they are talking with the scientist who they captured and he explains the procedure is elective and that it was temporary at first but then they made it permanent and elected to do so in order to be able to research without feeling bad about who got hurt. I think I was confusing all of that info into one scene because I've basically been watching entire seasons in one sitting.

Almost done with season 3!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've started reading the books and my early impression is that TV Amos is a far more interesting character, mostly due to Chatham's performance.

Also, Amos & Prax: Pals for life

tumblr_p8wprbuWvJ1r1nqnto2_500.gif

• 8Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The back half of season 3 really was amazing. It's still surprising that Scifi canceled the show

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
The back half of season 3 really was amazing. It's still surprising that Scifi canceled the show
They didn't want to but their partner that was responsible for half the financing was only committed to three seasons and the fourth season was gonna be very expensive because of where the script was going.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I've started reading the books and my early impression is that TV Amos is a far more interesting character, mostly due to Chatham's performance.

Also, Amos & Prax: Pals for life

tumblr_p8wprbuWvJ1r1nqnto2_500.gif

I love that scene... because it leads to my favorite Amos scene in the whole series so far...

• 9Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 13 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
They didn't want to but their partner that was responsible for half the financing was only committed to three seasons and the fourth season was gonna be very expensive because of where the script was going.
And the fact that every show after the 3rd season balloons in cost due to renegotiating deals with actors and the producers start receiving ever greater backend participatation profits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Halfway through season 4 now. Glad I kept watching. Really interesting setting and world.

• 3Like

Khane

But oof, Chrisjen has turned into a caricature. "Fucking What the Fuck?!?! Get the Fuck out. Fuckedy Fuck Fuck. I'm the Fucking... FUUUUUCK"

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well I just binged the 4 seasons this week and this show rocks. You can really see the upgrade in visuals when Amazon took over. I love the main crew but I don't see them as that important to the story anymore. It's like fins alien tech, bad shit happens, live though it anyways. No Suspense. When it comes to our solar system though you have no idea who's going to live or die. The politics of the ring is way more interesting and how it threw the solar system into a kind of chaos. How it destabilized Mars is really interesting.

• 1Like

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
But oof, Chrisjen has turned into a caricature. "Fucking What the Fuck?!?! Get the Fuck out. Fuckedy Fuck Fuck. I'm the Fucking... FUUUUUCK"

She's more like this in the books. Seasons 1-3 Chrisjen was extremely tame compared to book Chrisjen, probably because it was for network TV.

• 3Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
SyFy had a rotten deal. They only had rights to the initial broadcast and limited streaming for like 4 weeks after broadcast that they could hook commercials onto. They had no part of the bigger streaming revenue (Amazon had that worldwide already) and the live viewing numbers and associated premium commercial placement couldn't justify the expense.

The old model of financing programs like this on a broadcast network just does not work. There has to be a piece of the streaming revenue because that's where people are watching these days.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Agreed. All of her scenes were really bad in season 4. It made me really dislike the character when I thought she was halfway interesting before

• 1Solidarity

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
LOVE The Expanse.

I have read all the books (and the novellas). Big fan of "The Churn;" for all you Amos fans...

This was a very reasonable adaptation of the fourth novel-- I was kind of surprised they chose to do it, because it is the weakest of The Expanse works. And, quite frankly, they could have jumped right over it. It was, however, as it was written, the easiest to adapt into a movie/series. Chibola Burns is a stand alone Western-ish adventure. Murtry is a bad dude and a believer. Way bad and scary in the novel. They portrayed him well-enough. They also dumped a lot of fluff for the TV series, and folded in quite a bit of the fifth novel.

The only thing I didn't really appreciate in the novel (but is ever so clear in the series) is how Holden is responsible for turning the planet on, and, as such, being responsible for ruining a whole lot of people's lives. I suppose that is his forte. He starts wars and causes shit-storms wherever he is/goes. He kills not just scores, but millions!

Alas-- the intricate plots and politics and mysteries built up in the first 3 seasons do grind down a bit (but they did in the novel too; moreso, in fact). It felt a little rushed in the last 2 episodes. I wouldn't have minded them stretching it into 10 episodes. But again-- they clearly knew what they were doing because they did make the source material BETTER.

They did over-Avasarala it up a bit, but damn she is such a great actress, so I didn't mind. I want to smoke 3 cartons a day just sound like her.

The Miller/Detective/bot was great to see again. I don't know if his ending (or even his mission) was completely understood if you didn't read the novel. I can't tell. But he's such a great character (although he seemed less tortured in Season 4).

Considering the source material, Amazon did awesome. Also-- it is beautiful to watch. The effects are stunning. The constant blueish tinge makes the actors/actresses look great.

Can't wait for season 5. But I also think it will be a lot harder to do. No spoilers. But I'm sure a lot of you know why.

• 4Like

Khane

Well, now I'm like all the rest of the slobs in this thread and have to wait for season 5 for more.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
And then you finish the books and have to wait for the last one.

• 1Worf