The Expanse

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Everyone is on edge as they're struggling to keep their claim on the planet, and then another group shows up with unclear motives. It's a pretty reasonable way to approach them showing up.

Also, Belters aren't really known for being reasonable or cautious

Plus, some of them are edgy because they're guilty of manslaughter at the very least, and Holden could be showing up with proof to arrest them for all they know

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
A bunch of hired guns from a science ship, are fighting with a bunch of terrorists from a freighter, and a warship shows up that could force them to do whatever, and their bristling is strange?

Odd thing to nitpick imo

Holden is super famous, but he's not famous for all good reasons - he started a war and he has gotten a shitload of people killed. Also, he's an Earther - for that confrontation it's like Tom Cruise showing up in gaza to negotiate between the israelis and palestinians and then being surprised that they are hostile when he's there to help them ;p

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Holden is super famous, but he's not famous for all good reasons - he started a war and he has gotten a shitload of people killed. Also, he's an Earther - for that confrontation it's like Tom Cruise showing up in gaza to negotiate between the israelis and palestinians and then being surprised that they are hostile when he's there to help them ;p

Not Tom Cruise... What do you call them when someone ends up famous for being deeply involved in politics despite an incredibly different initial career trajectory, somehow ended up becoming buddies with the leader of the Free world, and has been getting appointed to do important shit lately despite not really having the resume to back up their level of involvement? 2017 Steve Bannon?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
On 4th episode of season 2. Liking the show a lot. Only complaints so far are typical campy dialogue from time to time and slightly jarring pacing issues in some episodes

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
After Mr. Robot and Watchmen this season I kinda hate to admit but I prefer this kind of show on a weekly basis. Binging is great, but you can't read any internet threads about the show until you are done.

I agree. However, I was so thirsty for some good Sci Fi I launched into it hard. Having a week to chat about things going on and speculating is pretty satisfying and fun for a show like this.

Khane

Actually I was only on episode 3 of season 2 apparently and now I have another complaint. Holden.

He was definitely seeming like the "eternal boy scout" trope but after Naomi comes in all "let's fuck our brains out until we die of exhaustion" and Holden can only muster:

Man... why do so many writers and shows write one dimensional, garbage characters like this. Please tell me he has a redemption arc.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
He bounces around in between being a boyscout and being ruthless at times, but it's always about trying to do the right thing. I wouldn't expect great things out of his character, or really the main 4. The supporting cast of characters are the ones that have really good arcs.

Khane

What about Amos? I'm all aboard the Amos train. He's like a more physical Todd Alquist (Jesse Plemons in Breaking Bad).

I do like Thomas Jane as Miller too. Aside from the out of nowhere obsession he seemed to develop for Julie Mao.

The main story is interesting and compelling though. So the character gripes feel minor because this doesn't really feel like a character driven story. The characters move the main plot device forward, which seems to be the discovery of extra-solar life. So in spite of whatever complaints I have I find myself binge watching episode after episode.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Amos is the best, but he doesn't really get an arc. Miller certainly does, but I was talking about the ship crew. The obsession thing will become clear if you pay close attention to a couple small things as the series goes on.

• 1Like

Khane

Actually I just got to one of those small... nuanced moments you guys have been talking about. And I think the only reason I caught it is because it involved Amos, my favorite character. In the middle of S2 E3 the "important players" are discussing why the scientists they just captured researching the extra-solar bio-weapon seem to be sociopathic lunatics and the doctor they are consulting gives them a thorough explanation that they are still human, and still have empathy, just don't seem to recognize it due to "orders" or some other trigger. At which point Amos perks up and asks if there is any way to cure it.

This is why I love that character and the way that actor portrays it. He nailed that scene and let me, as a viewer, know that the conversation was apropos and that my feelings towards his character were grounded. With one, simple line. Just in the way he delivered it. Yea Amos... buddy, we know you're fucked up and just want a little love. But maybe someone did that to you on purpose, to keep you subservient.

A lot like religion... hrmm... there's been some mention of Mormons though not too much to this point in the show so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just finished the season. Overall, I thought it was fantastic. I get that it might be considered a filler season/novel because I do wish the main plot could have been advanced a bit more. Also, is it just me, or is Mars "not being the same" felt a little too soon? Would they stop giving a shit that quickly?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just finished the season. Overall, I thought it was fantastic. I get that it might be considered a filler season/novel because I do wish the main plot could have been advanced a bit more. Also, is it just me, or is Mars "not being the same" felt a little too soon? Would they stop giving a shit that quickly?

(mild spoilers for you early season people)

They hinted at the younger generations not being fully committed to the dream with the interactions between Bobbi and the MCRN handler. 6 months has passed since the opening, so people giving up on the dream quickly makes sense. I don't think that the whole system (especially the military) would have crashed so hard so fast though.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well the military was also crashing as a result of the end of the war with Earth that had been building for ages. The war itself released all the pent up tension on both sides and allowed everyone the chance to refocus (plus most of the warmongering types got killed)

Sterling

El Presidente
Actually I just got to one of those small... nuanced moments you guys have been talking about. And I think the only reason I caught it is because it involved Amos, my favorite character. In the middle of S2 E3 the "important players" are discussing why the scientists they just captured researching the extra-solar bio-weapon seem to be sociopathic lunatics and the doctor they are consulting gives them a thorough explanation that they are still human, and still have empathy, just don't seem to recognize it due to "orders" or some other trigger. At which point Amos perks up and asks if there is any way to cure it.

This is why I love that character and the way that actor portrays it. He nailed that scene and let me, as a viewer, know that the conversation was apropos and that my feelings towards his character were grounded. With one, simple line. Just in the way he delivered it. Yea Amos... buddy, we know you're fucked up and just want a little love. But maybe someone did that to you on purpose, to keep you subservient.

A lot like religion... hrmm... there's been some mention of Mormons though not too much to this point in the show so far.
Amos is awesome. He's a character that can easily be a one dimensional trope but he's not. And they do it in a way that's not beating you over the head with it and it doesn't feel out of place at all. It just works really, really well.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Thinking about it some more, I'm disappointed that there wasn't much of an explanation of what was going on with New Terra. Why did one of the islands go nuclear? Why was one of the moons melting down? Was it all just Miller "flipping switches"?

And, by the way, that kind of moon configuration around the planet is completely unstable. That would definitely not exist in nature. I don't recall any of their scientists going "wtf" about that.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Come to think of it, they'll definitely have to cast Duarte in the next season, even if he's still mostly background. They'd have to hint at the Laconians since they provided the ships for the main antagonists in the next season.

In fact, they should've had Duarte as a high-ranking logistics officer in the 4th season, since they intersected Bobbie's arc with that part of it already.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I thought Mars changing was an interesting plotline that we only got bits and pieces of, is that something that should be more prominent in future season(s) out of curiosity?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Thinking about it some more, I'm disappointed that there wasn't much of an explanation of what was going on with New Terra. Why did one of the islands go nuclear? Why was one of the moons melting down? Was it all just Miller "flipping switches"?

And, by the way, that kind of moon configuration around the planet is completely unstable. That would definitely not exist in nature. I don't recall any of their scientists going "wtf" about that.

Ya, surprised they didn't drop some details, but in the book they basically reveal the planet's purpose was basically to generate power for the protomolecule builder empire. Shit blowing up/malfunctioning was primarily due to the fact the machinery was over a billion years old w/o maintenance.

Raes

Vyemm Raider

Might want to re-watch that scene. They specifically state that they no longer have the capacity to experience empathy due to a medical procedure performed on their brains with magnets. I don't remember the exact techno-babble, but that's the basic explanation.