The Expanse

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only complaint I could see going forward is that the main characters aren't the ones doing any of the action and fighting, they are the civilians getting screwed over as it happens around them. Need that fist pump post-battle when the characters you care about off a bad guy.
Well in theory that should happen pretty shortly once holdens verbal nuke goes off and the cast and crew are on the martian military ship.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to rewatch Battlestar Galactica and found out that it is no longer on Netflix to stream.

I find the Expanse online to view the first episode. After giving that a shot I order the first few books. Halfway through book 2 now and quite enjoyed the first 4 episodes of the show.

This is scratching my BSG itch. If I squint it makes Amos look like Chief Tyrol discovered cross-fit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
lol yeah that might be it. Either way TV-Amos is oddly way more interesting than pokey book-Amos imo. I'm not sure I like the casting for Miller though I like Thomas Jane. He's too solid compared to the haggard, cynical book-Miller. He's doing a great job so far tho.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
lol yeah that might be it. Either way TV-Amos is oddly way more interesting than pokey book-Amos imo. I'm not sure I like the casting for Miller though I like Thomas Jane. He's too solid compared to the haggard, cynical book-Miller. He's doing a great job so far tho.
Funny, couldn't disagree more. I don't like the casting for anyone, so far- other than Avasarala and maybe Holden. The writing (in the books) is good enough that the casting won't matter as long as the show doesn't go too far off the tracks.

Obviously that's the great thing about books- they let you project your own casting choices on the characters as you read. My biggest complaints:

Miller: Older, thinner, tired, washed out. Jane is a fine actor, but he plays Miller with too much energy.

Amos: Book Amos is gruff but outwardly friendly. Most of his threat is implied and delivered with a sardonic smile. I agree that TV Amos is interesting, but he too deep, dark, brooding, and angry. He seems more complex than book Amos, who is about the least complex character around.

Anyway, like I said, it won't prevent me from enjoying what seems like a great show.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It gets a little action-y after the first two but it's still space-truckers caught in circumstances beyond their control. If they couldn't sell it to you by ep2 it might not matter after ep4.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Space Truckers, UN SJW's rule the earth and Mormons are leaving the solar system. You'll love it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
It's got everything.

And yeah, that is about my only complaint with the casting. Well, some of them are the wrong color I think -- I want to see them cast Bobbie properly. At least they didn't make Holden blonde. That probably was a real question in a meeting at some point.

But Miller is supposed to be older and more haggard than he is. They went with a 30 something gumshoe rather than a 50 something gumshoe. He's still pulling it off, but it's a different vibe for Miller than book Miller. This miller hasn't had enough time to get truly ground down by the ain't-no-justice machine. This Miller is still capable of hope.

But he's pulling it off, so it's fine.

What they really needed was Barney Miller.

Cybsled

Eh, I think the age is fine. The show even mentions that Belter life expectancy is pretty short (mid 60s), so it makes sense that people's mentality and outlook on life would be altered as a result, even in the late 30s (which for them is well past middle-aged).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kind of glad I haven't read the books yet since I love the casting choices so far. Agree with whoever said if Episode 2 hadn't sold you yet doubtful that even action in 3 & 4 would sell you.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
The wife hated the first three episodes and didn't want to watch any more.

When I was watching the 4th one she came into the room and decided to watch and ended up loving it. Now she wants more episodes and is pissed they didn't release the whole season like Netflix does.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Did she hate the first three because of the political thriller/detective bits? That's gonna be most of the season, tbh.

I kinda hope syfy sticks to developing the Miller/UN-v-Mars thing throughout too, I never thought they'd risk that.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I asked why she didn't like first three and her response was that BSG started off with a bang while The Expanse was a slow burn like Game of Thrones without any payoff until the fourth episode.

She is invested in the political storyline though from watching the first three. We were discussing how Thomas Jane probably just sent in a clip of the Punisher drinking and being cranky Frank for his audition for Miller. Not really how I would have pictured the character casting from reading the book but I don't mind him at all in the show.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is who you would cast but like I said he is already booked.

Bullock-Gotham3.jpg

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think Thomas Jane's "zoot-suit noir" rendition of a hardass space-Columbo has grown on me, actually. Definitely not what I imagined but it makes much more sense in that context.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think Thomas Jane's "zoot-suit noir" rendition of a hardass space-Columbo has grown on me, actually. Definitely not what I imagined but it makes much more sense in that context.
There is no doubt that both TV Amos and Miller are pretty different from their book counterparts, but surprisingly both are bringing enough talent to the role to justify the difference. Frankly, book Miller was a huge cliche. I didn't mind it, but I also don't mind that Jane has taken a different (and interesting) direction.

They used the wrong Wire actor for Fred Johnson though. The whole time I was reading the books I was picturing this guy:

rrr_img_120207.jpg

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I like Amos in the show way better than book Amos for some reason. He's kinda oafish and menacing instead of just oafish.
What? He was pretty menacing in the books. You know, the whole no morals cold blooded killer thing?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
But Miller is supposed to be older and more haggard than he is. They went with a 30 something gumshoe rather than a 50 something gumshoe.
Thomas Jane is 46. FYI.

But I agree, he's a slightly different Miller than the one in the books. He still works for the story, he's a bundle of no-care/care contradictions, the-work-has-to-be-done look, and the only point that feels off is his growing obsession with Julie Mao.

PS: Love the fake hamster in the wheel in Julie's appartment.