The Expanse

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I dont know how much is from the books, but I love the casual use of plausible future tech in scenes like Julie's apartment. Having to calibrate the voice faking utility and then using that to access her stuff felt very natural.

Cybsled

Also little touches like the voice activated computers not having some computer voice responding to every request the person makes.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Loved the first four episodes. Special effects are good considering it's a SiFi series, acting is solid and the plot (so far) is following the book reasonably well.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I dont know how much is from the books, but I love the casual use of plausible future tech in scenes like Julie's apartment. Having to calibrate the voice faking utility and then using that to access her stuff felt very natural.
In the books, Miller basically uses police authority from his boss, i.e. government backdoors to access the mail.

Now, remember, this was written 5 years ago, pre-Snowden. These days, people are going to be very sensitive to government backdoors in their private stuff, so they clearly went to the "hacking" theme instead.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
I like it. I also liked how the first few minutes were filmed inside the movie Event Horizon. Gotta save money where you can.

spronk

FPS noob
booked through all 4 episodes in one sitting, really enjoying it so far. The little touches to make the world(s) feel alive, organic, and lived in are all awesome.

Some massive book 5 spoilers don't open unless you have read all the books
holy shit at the foreshadowing of Earth getting attacked with asteroids, with Avalasarla and her grandson on the roof that was incredible. I wonder if book 5 is going to be season 3, 4, or mixed up even earlier.

I need to reread the books, don't remember a lot from book 1. Are the people attacking the Donnager controlled by the protomolecule, are they just OPA splinter group terrorists, or are they part of the corporation that is experimenting with the proto molecule?

I am really loving the build up to the protomolecule, all you have so far are hints that something fucked up went on in Phobos station but nothing else really. When shit goes down, its going to be insane.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
booked through all 4 episodes in one sitting, really enjoying it so far. The little touches to make the world(s) feel alive, organic, and lived in are all awesome.

holy shit at the foreshadowing of Earth getting attacked with asteroids, with Avalasarla and her grandson on the roof that was incredible. I wonder if book 5 is going to be season 3, 4, or mixed up even earlier.

I need to reread the books, don't remember a lot from book 1. Are the people attacking the Donnager controlled by the protomolecule, are they just OPA splinter group terrorists, or are they part of the corporation that is experimenting with the proto molecule?

I am really loving the build up to the protomolecule, all you have so far are hints that something fucked up went on in Phobos station but nothing else really. When shit goes down, its going to be insane.
They were the corporation experimenting with the molecule if I recall. They're destroying the Donnager in order to kill off Holden and keep everyone believing in the Mars killing the ice miners and starting a war.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I just watched the first episode. Really enjoyed it. I love that they are attempting to stay faithful to physical realities of space, gravity, inertia and similar elements that usually get dismissed by technology. Really enjoyed that first episode.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
hAre the people attacking the Donnager controlled by the protomolecule, are they just OPA splinter group terrorists, or are they part of the corporation that is experimenting with the proto molecule?
(book & ep 4+ spoilage)
In the book, they're clearly identifiable belter ships, and part of the 1-2-3 deception plan by Protogen, part 1 being "Mars attacked the Canterbury!!!", part 2 being "The Belt attacked Mars!!!" and of course part 3 being "Earth attacks...". Here, you have a shortcut in the events and the attack on the Donnager is made "by the same guys", i.e. Protogen although no one knows that yet as the ships remain unidentified. Which means they're going to downplay the ratcheting tensions between the 3 factions.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I just watched the first episode. Really enjoyed it. I love that they are attempting to stay faithful to physical realities of space, gravity, inertia and similar elements that usually get dismissed by technology. Really enjoyed that first episode.
There's a good scene in ep 4 where you have Holden and Naomi doing an action/reaction dance to get back on a courseway. Holden throws Naomi straight toward the middle of the landing bay, which pushes him back until he can lock his magboots and only then drag her back. He does that as soon as they're starting to drift, without thinking, which helps giving the feeling that they're spending most of their time in zero G and that's a normal maneuver for them.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Episode 5 when?
frown.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Episode 5 when?
frown.png
January 5th (S1.E5 Back to the Butcher).

Speculation/spoilage based on book reading, avoid if you haven't read the books and don't want advance major spoilage.
They bring the Martian Assault Ship to Tycho, where you have Fred "Butcher of Anderson Station" Johnson. I presume they introduced Naomi's OPA background earlier - it's only developped in book 5 - as a way to get them in touch with Fred instead of the way it happened in the books since that would have had to be setup in ep 2.

This episode is where Havelock gets out of Ceres after surviving his near kill; in the books he leaves under Miller's urging because of latent racism from the head of police that is going to blossom full bloom.

The cliffhanger is almost certainly Miller getting fired from the Ceres police because he can't stop his investigations, despite the Ceres policeandthe OPA telling him to drop it (since Julie is OPA in the books; I presume in the series as well).

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Three episodes in and it's the best thing I've seen on SyFy in years. I hope they keep it up.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I also like how his cell phone / computer is cracked.
Yes that amuses me as well very true to life. Most professionals I know using their work phone almost always have one or more major crack in their screen.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm really enjoying the series. Episode 4 especially really impressed me. I loved the books and hope this show maintains the quality and gains popularity - it deserves it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

holy shit at the foreshadowing of Earth getting attacked with asteroids,
Well, (really ep 9/10 spoilage)
The little boy just finished talking about how the dinosaur asteroid "that was a really big rock" and how "no one can move such a big rock anyway", so they're not talking about book 5 asteroids, they're foreshadowing Eros heading toward Earth

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Watched the first 4 tonight based off comments here. Damn, what a good start. Syfy hasn't had anything this good since BSG. Haven't been excited to watch anything on this channel for a long time. Might have to give the Magicians a try now.