The Expanse

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Elevator and maint ladders are two completely independent systems, not sure how you thought they could do jack shit about the elevator? Seems like a dumb thing to nitpick about. Ladder panels had an additional locking system. They shot the locking system at two points presumably to break it/significantly weaken it, then needed someone strong to rip the panel open afterwards. I got the impression the panel system was handled by computers/electricity originally, just like the doors to the elevator shaft, thus the need for brute strength. But the dude wasn't Hulk. He had to struggle to get the elevator doors open. His ultra strength didn't give him the ability to rip open solid metal that wasn't already weakened.

As for Razorback part, I suspect it had to do more with visual medium than a book and the need to show the audience things so it makes sense, plus creating tension. I went and re-read the book part where they escape the torpedo. The g-forces are so strong they can barely breathe, let alone talk, as they try to evade the torpedo. Alex's controls are basically on the chair itself where his hand is resting and he is controlling everything from there because he can barely move otherwise. He then pressed a button to dump the core and passes out. You learn this because it is Alex's POV.

The show could have maybe done the same by having the screen popping up and saying "confirm dump core" and he presses his control vs. needing to reach out to press the floating screen. So for that part, drama won out over science.

The elevator comes screaming down the shaft later in the episode. According to the pictures posted, those little "panels" that they couldn't just rip apart from underneath are now in the path of the elevator. Thus, they should've stopped it from falling, or at least jammed it, no? Now, if you want to argue those panels are flimsy and wouldn't slow/stop the elevator at all after what looked to be a solid 15+ stories, that then begs the question again as to why the fuck they couldn't just rip open the panels from underneath.

Yeah, I figured the Razorback shit was added for tension. The whole time I'm sitting there thinking, "Really!? In the year fucking 2300 and we don't have voice controls? We don't have a touchpad near our hands? In a ship that we know is going to pull insane levels of G-force? K...".

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im sorry but I couldnt make it past ep 3 and I loved everything before this season.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The elevator comes screaming down the shaft later in the episode. According to the pictures posted, those little "panels" that they couldn't just rip apart from underneath are now in the path of the elevator. Thus, they should've stopped it from falling, or at least jammed it, no? Now, if you want to argue those panels are flimsy and wouldn't slow/stop the elevator at all after what looked to be a solid 15+ stories, that then begs the question again as to why the fuck they couldn't just rip open the panels from underneath.

Let's say that elevator alone weighs around a ton. That thing easily fell about a 100ish feet or so before it reached them. At that weight and speed, the thing would essentially be close to 10 tons of impact. Not unreasonable for that thing to basically just bulldoze through them like they were nothing.

Plus, you're ignoring the fact the panels had a locking mechanism, which was the REAL reason they were shooting the panels twice. It wasn't to make finger holds (although they got used for that), it was to fuck up the stuff that was locking the panels to the wall.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Let's say that elevator alone weighs around a ton. That thing easily fell about a 100ish feet or so before it reached them. At that weight and speed, the thing would essentially be close to 10 tons of impact. Not unreasonable for that thing to basically just bulldoze through them like they were nothing.

Plus, you're ignoring the fact the panels had a locking mechanism, which was the REAL reason they were shooting the panels twice. It wasn't to make finger holds (although they got used for that), it was to fuck up the stuff that was locking the panels to the wall.

Ok, I can accept all of that as plausible. But, if that's the scenario, it still doesn't make sense that they'd need to shoot out every fucking panel. Just shoot finger holds into the bottom panels and rip them down/open? It also skips the whole having to be precise with the locks thing, too. I realize it's a minor gripe/nitpick, but in a show that did such a good job paying attention to most of the actual science, shit like that just irks me.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
If you want to nitpick stupid shit how bout prisoner Hulk attacking the cops when he's already free and the woman cop is like 10 feet away with a gun. That whole scene was dumb except for the suplex into the shaft.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Ok, I can accept all of that as plausible. But, if that's the scenario, it still doesn't make sense that they'd need to shoot out every fucking panel. Just shoot finger holds into the bottom panels and rip them down/open? It also skips the whole having to be precise with the locks thing, too. I realize it's a minor gripe/nitpick, but in a show that did such a good job paying attention to most of the actual science, shit like that just irks me.
Because you're being an absolute faggot about it, nobody else has a problem with it and is able to understand that there is a locking mechanism, fucking Amos even inspects it and shows where to make the two shots to disable it, there are pictures posted in the thread showing that the doors encapsulate the ladder system right back to the wall, there is nowhere else to pry it open apart from the shot holes and they have limited ammo (the gun shows 0). I can only assume at this point that you have autism or some other kind of mental impairment that makes you a blind oblivious simpleton, do us all a favour and stop watching, space is hard and you cant even understand how a lock works.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Why isn't there more nitpicking about the "brace yourself" at the end? They're strapped into their chair harnesses, with drugs flowing through their system to handle the insane Gs they're pulling. How much more bracing can they actually do?!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Why isn't there more nitpicking about the "brace yourself" at the end? They're strapped into their chair harnesses, with drugs flowing through their system to handle the insane Gs they're pulling. How much more bracing can they actually do?!
pray to Gsus

Goatface

would their chairs still spin after the core ejected? if not would need to use everything you have to keep your body against the chair as all the forward to back g's they were pulling suddenly turned into right to left g's after the core ejection

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
would their chairs still spin after the core ejected? if not would need to use everything you have to keep your body against the chair as all the forward to back g's they were pulling suddenly turned into right to left g's after the core ejection
Speaking of, as someone who's not anything close to a pilot, why would you need the chairs to spin? Seems like it would have no effect on the Gs you're pulling and would only reduce your ability to stay properly oriented with ship movement and controls.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of, as someone who's not anything close to a pilot, why would you need the chairs to spin? Seems like it would have no effect on the Gs you're pulling and would only reduce your ability to stay properly oriented with ship movement and controls.

Crash couch.

But honestly I have no idea

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Because you're being an absolute faggot about it, nobody else has a problem with it and is able to understand that there is a locking mechanism, fucking Amos even inspects it and shows where to make the two shots to disable it, there are pictures posted in the thread showing that the doors encapsulate the ladder system right back to the wall, there is nowhere else to pry it open apart from the shot holes and they have limited ammo (the gun shows 0). I can only assume at this point that you have autism or some other kind of mental impairment that makes you a blind oblivious simpleton, do us all a favour and stop watching, space is hard and you cant even understand how a lock works.
No.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This season is plagued by normalcy.

What made season two great was the unknown. The Alien tech and the mystery behind it acted as a foundational backdrop, to the soap opera drama taking place between factions. It was easy to put up with the drama as it ran inline with the mystery. There is no mystery this season. I feel like this season is inbetween. I have never read the books and so have no clue as to whether or not the "Alien" aspect of the story returns. I just know that I enjoy a good Cinnamon toast. The aliens were the sugar while the butter was the faction and the cinnamon was the crew. The toast is not the same without the sugar.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
This season is plagued by normalcy.

What made season two great was the unknown. The Alien tech and the mystery behind it acted as a foundational backdrop, to the soap opera drama taking place between factions. It was easy to put up with the drama as it ran inline with the mystery. There is no mystery this season. I feel like this season is inbetween. I have never read the books and so have no clue as to whether or not the "Alien" aspect of the story returns. I just know that I enjoy a good Cinnamon toast. The aliens were the sugar while the butter was the faction and the cinnamon was the crew. The toast is not the same without the sugar.

Yes there is more alien stuff after the Inaros arc, and I daresay it gets even more interesting, though to me not as satisfying as the earlier alien stuff (my favorite part was the Miller investigation and the station getting infected early on). But you won't see it in the series apparently as they announced it would end after next season, and that's not enough time to delve into the next few books. Hopefully it will be picked up again some time and someone will finish the story (the last book is coming out this year).

Maul

Dental Dammer
tenor.gif

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think this season is more interesting than the last season. Last season was a bunch of "oh no scary monsters.. maybe?" and then at the end "oh no leeches!". Big let down for me.

Cybsled

Book 4's sole redeeming quality was we got some Builder-lore and Proto-Miller. The show also fixed some of the problems with the book in terms of villain motivation - he felt way too cartoony in the book.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can agree the alien mystery stuff was a big driver of my early interest in the show and books, but I also like the general setting as a realistic future of space exploration of just our solar system versus the zipping around beyond the speed of light stuff of Star Trek a mere couple of hundred years in the future.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I still enjoy the show but I have been let down a lot this season..

5 episodes in and we've hardly seen anything about earth after the impacts. the cliff hanger last season had me anticipating crazy story lines dealing with tsunamis and shit.. but all we get is a couple people trapped in a jail with no contact to outside world.

meh

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The show went woke as fuck a year or so ago, I'm sure that has nothing to do with it being mediocre as fuck tho

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users