The Fast Food Thread

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand why people think that those food production videos are a ploy. The larger the corporation, (usually) the better and cleaner their production lines have to be. They cannot risk getting a line or factory shut down by inspectors because of the massive undertaking in both time and money for them to reopen. Remember when the Oklahoma Blue Bell plant had to close because of the listeria found in some cartons? That shit almost bankrupted them and kept their ice cream off the shelves in the SW for more than four months. If the real beef is what the ingredients are then that's another place where larger corporations cannot fuck around because of giant lawsuits if they don't use the ingredients disclosed to the government/public. Do you really think in the age of social media that a worker wouldn't snap a pic of nasty meat getting processed for a huge company so that they could get a payout?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand why people think that those food production videos are a ploy. The larger the corporation, (usually) the better and cleaner their production lines have to be. They cannot risk getting a line or factory shut down by inspectors because of the massive undertaking in both time and money for them to reopen. Remember when the Oklahoma Blue Bell plant had to close because of the listeria found in some cartons? That shit almost bankrupted them and kept their ice cream off the shelves in the SW for more than four months. If the real beef is what the ingredients are then that's another place where larger corporations cannot fuck around because of giant lawsuits if they don't use the ingredients disclosed to the government/public. Do you really think in the age of social media that a worker wouldn't snap a pic of nasty meat getting processed for a huge company so that they could get a payout?

Every part of agriculture deals with this narrative all the time. "Activists" from big cities doing exposés where they tell somewhere between massive exaggerations and just outright lies about what goes on with the food supply. We have the safest, most reliable food system in the history of the planet and it's getting better all the time but there is this persistent idea that it's killing us and the environment and somehow it would be better if we went back to the 40s when grandma and grandpa were out farming in tractors with no cab and producing a fraction of the food we produce now. Of course the actual result of that would be mass starvation, but don't let that interfere with a nice romantic story. Most city dwellers are multiple generations removed from any aspect of agriculture. They have no idea what's behind the food at the grocery store so they're susceptible to this sort of fear mongering, ridiculous as it might be.

That's not to say that there aren't things that should be changed or even that there aren't bad actors involved in big ag (and also in small ag), but the idea that most food in the grocery store is not safe to eat or somehow immoral is just plain retarded.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Because it was interesting to watch and Morgan spurlock is a cool dude

This is demonstrably false. He is a lying piece of shit.

This documentary is a psuedo-rebuttal of Super Size Me and he actually uses evidence and food logs to prove his points.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I feel like if someone switched a local McD's menu for a Japan McD's menu I'd start going to McD's a whole lot more often.
japan mcdee fries are the best fries i've ever had... 3x i went, 3x they were 10/10, the only time i ever haad mcdee fries this good was when i was a teen at mcdee's and they put in new oil. mind you mcdees does two things with fry oil, change and clean(get all bits out), obviously clean doesn't do shit, oils breakdown, etc.

LiquidDeath

Ok well I don't really have a horse in this race haha. I just thought it was a cool movie....

But you do have a horse in this race. You think the movie was cool and that Spurlock is a cool guy. You are backing the cool horse.

We're showing you that your horse is bullshit. You thought it was a cool movie, but it was actually a load of bullshit and lies packaged as truth. So now when you see Spurlock and his stupid bullshit posing as truthful documentary you can see that the cool horse is actual a pile of shit horse.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
lol, the rage. I don't take anything Spurlock says as Gospel. The most interesting part of SSM2 was the part about Chicken Farmers and the business practices they have to deal with from Big Chicken.

LiquidDeath

Rage? Pointing out to people that Spurlock is a lying conman when they seem to be legitimately ignorant of that fact isn't rage. It is discussion on a message board.

The sum total of the truth of SSM was that if you eat nothing but fast food for every meal you are going to be an unhealthy, overweight bag of shit. Something that anybody who gives a shit about what they eat already knew.

Am I missing something? It has been a number of years since I watched it. Was there some great wisdom that he bestowed upon us with his "documentary"?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Rage? Pointing out to people that Spurlock is a lying conman when they seem to be legitimately ignorant of that fact isn't rage. It is discussion on a message board.

The sum total of the truth of SSM was that if you eat nothing but fast food for every meal you are going to be an unhealthy, overweight bag of shit. Something that anybody who gives a shit about what they eat already knew.

Am I missing something? It has been a number of years since I watched it. Was there some great wisdom that he bestowed upon us with his "documentary"?
And what's the counterpoint to it - that doing what he did doesn't cause adverse health effects? I'm just curious IM NOT RAGING

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Back in the day they used to be fried up in beef tallow. Can you imagine?

Back in the day, almost everything was fried in beef tallow. And was probably a bit healthier too.

• 1Truth!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
is it just about factory farming chickens essentially or is there a little more depth?
It is a bit all over the place, it starts with him getting a letter from Carl's Jr/Hardee's asking him to be a part of their marketing campaign. Basically they wanted him to treat them the same way he did McDs but then find out that Carl's Jr is one of the good guys.

That inspired him to start his own Fast Food Restaurant called Holy Chicken. He hires a marketing firm and they decide chicken is the path forward, but to get chickens he has to own a farm or some shit. Then Big Chicken writes a letter to all their Chicken Farmers about being on the look out for Morgan Spurlock. The main quest was about exposing the lies of fast food marketing and word usage, the side quest ended up being Big Chicken = Bad due to how they treat the chicken farmers. It was moderately funny and mostly entertaining, but like I said before I don't take him as gospel.

EDIT: Also, seeing genetically modified chickens run around is quite interesting, they grow so fast they can have heart attacks.

1581524635001.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Yes, iirc at the very end his health started to improve slightly like his body was adapting to it lol. Not improve from his starting point, but improve from where he was at week 2 or 3.

LiquidDeath

Yes, iirc at the very end his health started to improve slightly like his body was adapting to it lol. Not improve from his starting point, but improve from where he was at week 2 or 3.

Sure, but that was because he was a very strict vegan before starting the diet. Another thing that is not fully disclosed.

He went from eating a fairly strict, non-processed diet to eating nothing but processed food. It makes sense that his body would start adapting after the initial shock. I don't know if I would call that an improvement in overall health, though. He would have had to stick to the diet longer to back up those types of claims.

LiquidDeath

And what's the counterpoint to it - that doing what he did doesn't cause adverse health effects? I'm just curious IM NOT RAGING

You sure like to keep this going for someone with no horse in the race.

And no, the counterpoint is that if you don't lie about nearly every part of the process then the changes you experience aren't as drastic as Spurlock showed. Fast food isn't good for you, but it isn't going to nearly kill you in a month like he suggested.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I just thought it was funny that he started getting better/adapting, I distinctly remember laughing about that one point with a good buddy of mine.