The Fast Food Thread

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Consider me paged. You're gonna have to be a little bit more specific than that Armadon Armadon . Like where in Japan are you going, how long are you staying, are you willing to travel for food, etc.

Or are you just looking for general recommendations?

I'm in fussa at the air force base. I'll be here for about 2 weeks. I'll travel for food. I was just looking for general recs or place you just have to eat at.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I thought it was obvious, but I was joking. I don't think it actually comes with hormel chili. I feel like I need to clarify that so my fast food street cred doesn't take any more hits.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What are you talking about? Hormel chili on a burger is the exact type of meal that would add to your fast food drive thru cred.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was correcting the implication that I can't properly identify hormel chili by sight, not the taste.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought it was obvious, but I was joking. I don't think it actually comes with hormel chili. I feel like I need to clarify that so my fast food street cred doesn't take any more hits.

Ah ok, hard day at work today, I'm in literal mode.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm in fussa at the air force base. I'll be here for about 2 weeks. I'll travel for food. I was just looking for general recs or place you just have to eat at.

Hmm, you're kinda waaaay out in the ass end of Tokyo there. Good Yakiniku is a must, A4 grade minimum, A5 if possible. A good A5 yakiniku meal is a life changing experience. Other than that, in no particular order

Ramen (Shouyu, Miso, Tonkotsu, Shio, try to hit them all)
Soba (Cold is best)
Okonomiyaki (I prefer Osaka style over Hiroshima style but both are good)
Takoyaki
Sushi (if you're into that, I'm not, any local can recommend a nice cheap kaitenzushi spot)
Yakitori (Tori Kizoku is great for foreigners)

It's also super fun to just wander into a convenience store, pick a whole bunch of stuff that looks strange, and try it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, you're kinda waaaay out in the ass end of Tokyo there. Good Yakiniku is a must, A4 grade minimum, A5 if possible. A good A5 yakiniku meal is a life changing experience. Other than that, in no particular order

Ramen (Shouyu, Miso, Tonkotsu, Shio, try to hit them all)
Soba (Cold is best)
Okonomiyaki (I prefer Osaka style over Hiroshima style but both are good)
Takoyaki
Sushi (if you're into that, I'm not, any local can recommend a nice cheap kaitenzushi spot)
Yakitori (Tori Kizoku is great for foreigners)

It's also super fun to just wander into a convenience store, pick a whole bunch of stuff that looks strange, and try it.

Sweet. Thanks man. Yeah just went to a place called steak and burger and there was no steak and it was ground beef on rice. It was pretty good actually.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Sweet. Thanks man. Yeah just went to a place called steak and burger and there was no steak and it was ground beef on rice. It was pretty good actually.

"Burger" in Japan generally means a Hamburg Steak. I think in America you call it a Salisbury steak?

Kinda weird to see it on top of rice. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Japanese usually treat rice as sacrosanct, putting something on top of it is heresy. Beside, yes, on top of, no.

Seeing as you are in the fast food thread, are you interested in fast food in Japan as well or just the more Japanesey stuff?

joz123

Potato del Grande
I watched a Parts Unknown where Bourdain was in Okinawa near a military base and the popular dish around there was Taco Rice.
taco-rice_0.jpg

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I watched a Parts Unknown where Bourdain was in Okinawa near a military base and the popular dish around there was Taco Rice.
taco-rice_0.jpg

Yeah people down in Okinawa are fucking weird. To be honest, Okinawa isn't really part of Japan. Ethnically and culturally they are distinct from mainland Japanese. Most people from Okinawa consider themselves Okinawan first and Japanese second.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
"Burger" in Japan generally means a Hamburg Steak. I think in America you call it a Salisbury steak?

Kinda weird to see it on top of rice. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Japanese usually treat rice as sacrosanct, putting something on top of it is heresy. Beside, yes, on top of, no.

Seeing as you are in the fast food thread, are you interested in fast food in Japan as well or just the more Japanesey stuff?

Japanese fast food would be cool. I'm in a place called neo in Shinjuku right now. Food is pretty damn good.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah people down in Okinawa are fucking weird. To be honest, Okinawa isn't really part of Japan. Ethnically and culturally they are distinct from mainland Japanese. Most people from Okinawa consider themselves Okinawan first and Japanese second.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Japanese fast food would be cool. I'm in a place called neo in Shinjuku right now. Food is pretty damn good.

Mos Burger is worth a visit. If you want to get a taste of what the salarymen eat, go to Yoshinoya or Matsuya, it's basically the Japanese McDonalds. Firehouse burgers in Hongo Sanchome are considered some of the best in Tokyo. Skip the western chains except possibly Shake Shack if you don't have access to it where you are in America.

My hobby used to be going to as many ramen shops as I can, I've visited over a 100 so far, so if you try some, and like it, I can recommend a few of the best.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If Burger King adds an Angry version of their new Crispy Chicken I will mouth-fuck one on the daily. Mark my words.

• 2Worf

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If Burger King adds an Angry version of their new Crispy Chicken I will mouth-fuck one on the daily. Mark my words.

Wasn't fond of the angry whopper - but I could see the new crispy being an amazing base for something like that, yea.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Nice. I ate at coco curry and that was pretty darn good. Is that a well known chain?

Do you mean Cocoichiban? カレーハウスCoCo壱番屋 It's not bad. The other main chain is GoGo curry. GoGo curry has a 2500 yen giant curry challenge too if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

k2iAtFh.png

The best curry is the one you make yourself though!

Edit: The Japanese says it's 1.5kg of rice, one roast cutlet, one chicken cutlet, four weiners, one hard boilted egg, 2 tempura shrimp, then there's the shredded cabbage and the actual curry ladled onto everything.