The Fermi Paradox -- Where is everybody?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sorry, just speaking my mind. Hope that's still allowed here in these parts of the woods.

How kind of you. I'll fuck off to another thread just to appease you, no problemo sport. I'll leave you this lil nugget before I go:

How did Adam and Eve choose to eat the fruit if Lucifer was the one leading them to free will?

View attachment 224690

What a surprise, a Christian flip-flopping between literal and figurative interpretations of bible stories as it suits them.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Cuz there was never any free will. Eve was a cunt from the getgo and she was pre-destined to get us booted from the garden and has sown discord for uncounted epochs since.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wish I could find this cool map I found a few years ago but my searching is coming up blank. It shows the evolution of planet earth as a road trip, driving from LA to New York. It really helped put into perspective how human life is barely a mark on the earths timeline. I think our known existence was only the last couple of inches of the road trip.

Then you start to think about how old the universe is compared to earth, and how many quintillion’s of planets are out there, and how insane it would be for a race that’s a couple inches in a few thousand mile line to avoid all disasters, go against their competitive nature and make it off their rock, and be close enough to someone else at the same time in the same situation and make contact.

Then your brain melts.
There is a point when you try to grasp that the Universe is still actually expanding from the big bang, and everything including us are still moving outward and then wonder what happens when it all finishes. And then I realize that is beyond my brainpower and I take solace in the fact I'll be dead way before it becomes a thing.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
then wonder what happens when it all finishes. And then I realize that is beyond my brainpower and I take solace in the fact I'll be dead way before it becomes a thing.
Current theory is that it never "finishes". The universe will continue to expand forever, all matter will have decayed into elementary particles, and black holes will evaporate.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Current theory is that it never "finishes". The universe will continue to expand forever, all matter will have decayed into elementary particles, and black holes will evaporate.
This translates to me as a bunch of scientists saying "we have no idea, so we will go with "it just keeps going forever"."

Which then has to mean that space is infinite. I'm not saying it isnt, but I am saying that infinite is pretty fucking big.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This translates to me as a bunch of scientists saying "we have no idea, so we will go with "it just keeps going forever"."

Which then has to mean that space is infinite. I'm not saying it isnt, but I am saying that infinite is pretty fucking big.
It's based on our current understanding of physics and evidence. There could be a big crunch but the evidence is that the universe's expansion is accelerating.

And the universe isn't infinite. It's a finite region of space that's expanding.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Did anyone mention this yet?
What is there on Earth to make any advanced space faring civilization want to set foot here?
Minerals? Water? All obtainable very easily all over the galaxy and they would not be tainted with the pesky biomass.
We are at best a curiosity (if thats even a concept for aliens) best watched from a far distance.
Out of billions of pristine planets out there we are the one that has developed "mold". Would you want to pick up a moldy apple in the grocery store out of all the others?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
can be applied to why aliens haven't visited us. People fail to grasp how big the universe actually is.
Also, to advanced intelligence we are nothing more than ants. So, how often has mankind thought of introducing our amazing technology (compared to ants) to an ant colony.
6ueguWe.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
can be applied to why aliens haven't visited us. People fail to grasp how big the universe actually is.
Also, to advanced intelligence we are nothing more than ants. So, how often has mankind thought of introducing our amazing techlology (compared to ants) to an ant colony.
I think we'll discover that simple life is common, but intelligence is extremely rare. And if there does exist an advanced, intelligent civilization in our galaxy, it will be millions of years more advanced. But we're making the assumption that aliens would be similar to what we see in Star Wars or Trek. But I think, in reality, whatever technology they possess will be completely undetectable to us. So they could be "everywhere" but we'd have no way of knowing.

• 1Like

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
This video touches on one possible solution the the Fermi paradox. Kinda hard to follow if you don't watch the whole thing, but I found it interesting.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Yeah, we're still a weak PoV.

Snowballs with rocks inside? some assholes are hiding nearby. But piss-ant lifespan nerds that want to terraform mars, they look at comets like "hurr durr, Oort cloud theory!"

The virgin homo paradox versus the galactic chad panspermia.

Advanced civilizations won't even look at a youtube video if it isn't at least 10 hours.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you have the exact same conditions like on earth somewhere else, would it spark life ? I think it all boils down to this. If life may start with a very low probability when the planets has the right conditions at the right time, then we could very well be alone. But we don't know shit about how life starts.
Life seems to be a not-so-low probability event. Commonplace chemistry generates very fast all the necessary basic of our life chemistry. Then you have clay and the like that are extremely good candidates for creating self-enclosed biochemistry factories - protolife, in other terms. Plus, it looks like, in geological terms, life appeared on our world very, very fast, meaning it's either praticularly favorable, or it's easy.

Compared to this, the evolution of complex life (capable of massive data storage and mutation and all that) appears to be more unlikely.

So a significant number of scientists expect that "habitable planets" will be essentially giant bacterial mats, and nothing more.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
How did Adam and Eve choose to eat the fruit if Lucifer was the one leading them to free will?

View attachment 224690
Well, before Lucifer (whose name litterally means "bringer of light", in case you didn't notice... he's the christian equivalent of Prometheus), God was keeping them as domesticated pets. Then the pets dissented, and God had to expel them fast, or he'd get overwhelmed (the other apple... you have the capacity to learn, then you're immortal and can learn forever, fuck it, I'm screwed).

I always love the story of the Garden of Eden, because it's the clearest evidence of God's malfeasance in the Bible.

• 1Like