The Fermi Paradox -- Where is everybody?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yeah that's one of the few ideas i mentioned in the OP even. humans are most likely pretty fucking terrible to each other and the planet from the perspective of a thounsands-to-millions of years old star hopping, galaxy spanning civilization. they are probably hoping and praying we never go interstellar.
Just imagine you are an advanced star traveling race and you come to Earth and your first image of humans is landing in inner city Chicago on a Saturday night.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just imagine you are an advanced star traveling race and you come to Earth and your first image of humans is landing in inner city Chicago on a Saturday night.

They land and are amazed at diversity and lack of weaponry due to no-gun laws?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
No paradox here; not to a Christian anyway LoL Makes complete sense, like lock and key, bread and butter, Bert & Ernie, death and taxes, Tango & Cash etc etc etc

There's nothing out there because.... there's no need for there to be. God loved us most; before the angels, before the devils. Look up in the sky, and realize that that is all for US.

THAT is love. Imagine how He feels when He made all of this for us and WE reject him and say He doesn't even exist.

• 1GreNeg
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No paradox here; not to a Christian anyway LoL Makes complete sense, like lock and key, bread and butter, Bert & Ernie, death and taxes, Tango & Cash etc etc etc

There's nothing out there because.... there's no need for there to be. God loved us most; before the angels, before the devils. Look up in the sky, and realize that that is all for US.

THAT is love. Imagine how He feels when He made all of this for us and WE reject him and say He doesn't even exist.

A) Fuck off to another thread and don't taint this one with your delusions

B) While you're fucking off to another thread, reread the creation story. Lucifer is the one who led humanity to the gift of free will.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

why did god create all that space just to leave it empty and unseen?

• 2Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
To let us revel in awe of how magnificent it all is... least that's what I feel when I look up at the night sky. It's the most beautiful creation I can imagine for my eyes to dwell upon. I love space stuff :)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
To let us revel in awe of how magnificent it all is... least that's what I feel when I look up at the night sky. It's the most beautiful creation I can imagine for my eyes to dwell upon. I love space stuff :)

I disagree, but there are worse answers, so hey. This one makes more sense than a lot of other possible ones would have.

Lately I'm starting to believe that the best answer to the Fermi Paradox might be the "we're first" solution, which would be incredibly bizarre but seems to best explain most of what we've observed so far. And hey, if that ends up being right, then maybe God is real because who knows what other ridiculously bizarre and seemingly far fetched possibilities might end up being true lol.

(P.s. I'm a (warm) deist of course but if someone were able to prove we're truly alone in the universe I think it would get me to start leaning towards staright up theism.)

• 2Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

Well congrats, I'm triggered as fuck reading this blatant bait dribble.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Some good sci fi books about the fermi paradox are the manifold trilogy by stephen baxter and the inhibitor trilogy by alastair reynolds. Their best works.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

khorum

Murder Apologist

Because "God" just wanted to rediscover a long-lost pasta recipe that was invented by a Sinocore hagiocypher in 2674 so he bootstrapped this simulation hoping it'll be ready before the end of the semester for his thesis paper.

He's paying for it out of his booze allowance so to speed up processing he disabled the K'zor Magocracy's arrival in 1947 but forgot to cut out the R'lyeh Cabal's construction of the Egyptian and Incan grain storage facilities.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I wish I could find this cool map I found a few years ago but my searching is coming up blank. It shows the evolution of planet earth as a road trip, driving from LA to New York. It really helped put into perspective how human life is barely a mark on the earths timeline. I think our known existence was only the last couple of inches of the road trip.

Then you start to think about how old the universe is compared to earth, and how many quintillion’s of planets are out there, and how insane it would be for a race that’s a couple inches in a few thousand mile line to avoid all disasters, go against their competitive nature and make it off their rock, and be close enough to someone else at the same time in the same situation and make contact.

Then your brain melts.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
yeah that's one of the few ideas i mentioned in the OP even. humans are most likely pretty fucking terrible to each other and the planet from the perspective of a thounsands-to-millions of years old star hopping, galaxy spanning civilization. they are probably hoping and praying we never go interstellar.
One of the things you get when you contemplate the time involved and our existence within is the infinitesimal chance that we're left undisturbed.

Earth is prime estate. Biomass and everything. You want to colonize anywhere, it's the solar system. Even if the biosphere is bad from your perspective, it's a massive resource pool. So every civilization that spots Earth is going to come running. And who cares if there are dinosaurs or a new diversity of mammals from recent stuff. Let's start mining the asteroids, establish our bases next door on the moon and cover it with trains and the stuff. There's nothing on Earth anyway.

The amount of time by which you have "those pesky sapient primates" around is tiny compared to potential time when those civilizations would visit the solar system. That's what Fermi's paradox is about: if spacefaring civilizations were commonplace, we wouldn't exist because the solar system would have been colonized and exploited long before we split from the chimpanzee. Possibly multiple times. Heck, we'd probably have a Dyson Sphere around Our sun, with Earth drained dry to fuel all those habitats orbiting the sun by the time the Dinosaurs were trying to conquer earth.

And that's the usual problem with the zoo hypothesis. It only takes one poacher, and the white elephant is dead. The poacher had a billion year to come around already. So you need increasingly contrived scenarii (involving super-civilizations that have the capacity to stop EVERY SINGLE poacher - but somehow are completely undetectable and have left no traces around).

That, or you do The Crystal Spheres which was Brin's answer to the Fermi Paradox.
Somehow, a number of systems are surrounded by a sphere that's only permeable one-way, which turns out to be requirement for life-bearing world. It's impossible to colonize any such system, until the local species breaks its crystal sphere from the inside.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have the exact same conditions like on earth somewhere else, would it spark life ? I think it all boils down to this. If life may start with a very low probability when the planets has the right conditions at the right time, then we could very well be alone. But we don't know shit about how life starts.

• 3Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
If you have the exact same conditions like on earth somewhere else, would it spark life ? I think it all boils down to this. If life may start with a very low probability when the planets has the right conditions at the right time, then we could very well be alone. But we don't know shit about how life starts.

That's one of the potential Great Filters still outstanding yes.

• 3Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, now that WoW Classic is out, does this increase or decrease the chances of Aliens wanting to visit Earth and interact with our amazing culture?

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nah, they're aestivating until the universe is cool enough for black holes to start evaporating so they use them as energy sources.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Because "God" just wanted to rediscover a long-lost pasta recipe that was invented by a Sinocore hagiocypher in 2674 so he bootstrapped this simulation hoping it'll be ready before the end of the semester for his thesis paper.

He's paying for it out of his booze allowance so to speed up processing he disabled the K'zor Magocracy's arrival in 1947 but forgot to cut out the R'lyeh Cabal's construction of the Egyptian and Incan grain storage facilities.

This is just as plausible as Vanessa's answer for all we know. Fuck, humans sure waste a lot of time talking about this for how little we can even possibly figure out lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
So much we know and so much we don't. We can stare all we want and come up with theories and try to prove them on energy drink and hot pocket fueled benders but what we really need to do is get our ass out there and start discovering. We need a proper space station, one that is a massive factory with robot space drones that can go grab asteroids and bring them back for processing. Preferred we do this over Mars and not Earth as slinging back massive rocks to refine would probably be unwise in LEO. Needs to be HMO instead. Then we build massive ships and go find worms that inhabit humans.

• 3Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Well congrats, I'm triggered as fuck reading this blatant bait dribble.
Sorry, just speaking my mind. Hope that's still allowed here in these parts of the woods.

A) Fuck off to another thread and don't taint this one with your delusions

B) While you're fucking off to another thread, reread the creation story. Lucifer is the one who led humanity to the gift of free will.
How kind of you. I'll fuck off to another thread just to appease you, no problemo sport. I'll leave you this lil nugget before I go:

How did Adam and Eve choose to eat the fruit if Lucifer was the one leading them to free will?

tenor.gif

• 2Like