The Fighting Game Community Thread

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New trailer for DB FighterZ that show the last 3 announced characters quickly, as well as a bunch of the iconic matchups in the series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

New gameplay from DBFZ. Kind of have to tune out the woman that is spamming the mic during the demo, but check out the end and the Beerus ultimate attack lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Only does that on Black apparently, they added a bunch of context sensitive cutscenes/finishers when you have certain matchups, such as the intro/outro(a lot of which they've shown in the trailer they made earlier this week) and some finishers.

Anyway game looks crazy good, as much as I'm not a big fighting game player I'll probably pick this just to do the story and fuck around a little bit, especially since it releases on PC(with no delay, unlike MHW which releases the same day but only on consoles, so I'll get that later).

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'm not much of a fighting game guy, in that I don't have the patience to learn and become comfortable with the complex mechanics that give them depth, but I do like the visceral rush that comes with playing the ones that are a little more simple like Smash Bros, Power Stone, MVC2, Injustice, even the recent Mortal Kombat games were extremely approachable and enjoyable from a casual perspective.

I had been holding out on Marvel Vs Capcom 3 because although it looked fun, I knew I wouldn't play it enough to justify the (already not that high) price tag. But I decided to pick it up during the Steam Winter Sale and was excited to see what I had missed. I got hyped by the character select screen, especially since I like quirky novelty characters and they seemed to occupy a third of the roster. I can't say I'm 100% sold on the heavy use of solid black shadow (I get that it's a comic thing, but I'm not sure it works as well here), but I do like the character and level designs in general. As I usually do when I play I fighting game for the first time, I went for the "training" mode first. I wanted to learn the main mechanics so I could attempt the other modes with a basic understanding of how the game worked. Unfortunately, this is one of those games where "training" means "Here's an empty room and a paralyzed opponent: Figure it out" and that is a big pet peeve of mine in fighting games. More unfortunate still, this is one of those games where you have to go through multiple button presses every time you want to check your character's move list. There's no option to keep a list of key inputs superimposed on the screen and you can't jump back to the list the next time you pause. However! There was a glimpse of hope! I saw that "Mission" mode had you use each character and use specific moves to progress; Surely, this was this game's version of a tutorial!

...Nope. Even though the point of the missions is to use a specific move (against another paralyzed opponent, no less), they still don't show you how to do the move. You still have to pause the game, choose "Move List", choose your character, then scroll down to find the move you want to execute, every single time. FFS, I still haven't figured out how to switch my character mid-battle, and I looked! This shit drives me crazy.

I gave up and pretty much button-mashed my way through 3 battles in Arcade/Easy mode which, to be fair, was still pretty fun. I like the mechanics and I love the characters but damned if this game doesn't make it difficult to take the first few steps. It probably wouldn't bug me so much if Injustice and Mortal Kombat hadn't done such a great job making learning how to play part of the game.

Or maybe I just suck at fighting games. I'm sure the beer isn't helping.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DBZ PC Specs:

7279178248c076d80b39d66a79dccacef5bb4318.jpg

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Idk, i'm pretty shitty at fighting games. I'm friends w/ a few guys in the local FGC and can occasionally "amaze" them w/ the fact I can combo, but I can't watch frames like they do. It'll get pretty hype, but when I fumble I get the Shenwu(KoF, I got one move repeat KO'd) treatment, similar to that of a wooo wooo.

I just follow the basic rules of everything is made up of hadoukens and follows a strict pattern of L > M > H. Button mash smart! Can't say shit about smash because I throw empty punches in that game and get punished with a gandolf boot to the back of the head.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I played a little on Sunday night when the servers finally stabilized and the game is pretty fun. Fighting games make me realize how old I am though.

Needless

Toe Sucker
dbfz should be fun, until it turns into marvel 3 where you don't know wtf is going on anymore lol

SF5AE is garbo though, as expected

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
AE is still SFV, only little changes in gameplay it’s still the same song and dance. The arcade mode is cute, they go out of they way to say “look all this content, look at all these endings”. The challenge mode is some shit, shin akuma is a bitch and the costume for rashid is up but I’m confused about getting it. The presentation is way better, the game looks like it has a personality now instead of the boring UI and esports thrown in your face. Online is meh. Characters models in the verses screen is ass ken is still ugly, Sakura eyes are way too big, and akuma has the worst character design in SF history. SFV is still trash

DBFZ is so fun it’s way I wanted. It sick, the higher in rank you get the more smart the matches get, it literally slows. I’m enjoying it. Now I just need a new JOJO fighting game

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Missed out on the Beta, but the few vids I watched gave me a MvC2 vibe. Any merit to that? Or is it button mashey control scheme like the recent MvC games. Please say the former, need a good fighting game in my life!

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
The beta is up today. The game has the button mashing scheme, but the game slow down in higher ranks. In the lower rank people are super dashing like crazy but you can tell who’s good by how they react at the start of the match

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Fuck... glad Beta is still up so I can give it a try at least. Last game I played was the original mvc3 for ps3, maybe the controls will have grown on me since.