The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
My understanding it is a game designed to introduce the FF world to children.

From Kokatu

1) It’s got ATB-style combat. ATB, of course, stands for Active Time Battle, a staple of older Final Fantasy games (from IV to IX) that crosses menu-based combat with real-time turn gauges. “I’ve also changed it a little bit to add more of a [modern feeling] like current-generation games,” Chiba said, speaking through a translator. Your two main characters can also swap between big and small forms, which will affect their abilities both in combat and in the world.

2) The core gameplay will involve battling, collecting, and befriending monsters. Sort of like Pokémon with Final Fantasy creatures, which is a pretty compelling hook. Chiba wouldn’t go into detail on how this capturing system will work, but he did point out that you’ll be able to make your two main characters stack with monsters like behemoths and iron giants during combat.

3) This ain’t no free-to-play mobile game—we already know World of Final Fantasy is coming to PS4 and Vita, but Chiba says it’ll be a full-scale $60 game that takes advantage of both systems’ technical specs to get lots of monsters appearing on screen at once.

4) There’s an actual story. It involves two twins entering a world called Grimoire where all the Final Fantasy characters and monsters live. And Chiba says the plot won’t just be some rudimentary wrapper they slapped on to get you playing. “I personally worked on [Final Fantasys] VI, VII, and VIII so I’m trying to aim for that volume of a story that was in those titles,” Chiba said.

5) It’ll have all sorts of characters and settings from other FF games. The trailer, for example, shows Cloud (FFVII) and Cornelia Castle from the original Final Fantasy. Chiba says you’ll be able to interact with a ton of characters, and that many of them will have their own sidequests and plots to follow as you go through the game.

6) The chibi sprites are meant to appeal to non-Final Fantasy fans. In some ways, Chiba said, the goal of this game is to introduce a new generation of people to Final Fantasy, because today’s teens aren’t growing up with characters like Locke and Cecil anymore.

7) That said, Chiba still wants this to appeal to old-school Final Fantasy players. It’s easy to imagine the graphical style turning a lot of people off, though. “If these fans are looking for a realistic type of game, then this might not appeal to them,” Chiba said. “But World of Final Fantasy does have a lot of elements from the previous titles, and a lot of stuff that’s in there that Final Fantasy fans tend to like, so I feel like it’ll appeal to the new and the old fans.”

8) Chiba tends to work on dark, gritty, mature games. This is not that. In fact, he was given explicit orders from up above to do something lighter with World of Final Fantasy. “I actually had a direct order from [FF brand manager Shinji] Hashimoto in regards to how to approach this title,” Chiba said. “While my games are dark, I’m trying to make this more into a lighthearted, fun type of game. But at the same time, Final Fantasy games are known for their very heavy stories, so I’m trying to keep that in there to keep that Final Fantasy feel in the game.”

spronk

FPS noob
Final Fantasy XV has been delayed from Sep 30 to Nov 29th (2 months) apparently

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So Florence and the Machine has released 3 songs from the game. A cover of Stand by Me, and 2 originals. That's an interesting choice. I like her, but not sure if she's an appropriate choice for Final Fantasy.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Remember Leona Lewis? Or whatever the broad's name was. She was definitely involved in some FF main theme antics. FF has had a pop-leaning for at least a decade at this point.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I know I'm going to play it no matter what, but I get what you're saying. The tech demo they put out earlier in the year felt more like a clunky Kingdom Hearts game than anything I've played under the Final Fantasy umbrella. I want to assume things have been refined since then, but I guess we'll find out in November.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mean the game looks visually incredible, and the combat was ok. But I just get 0 Final Fantasy vibes from this at all. If it wasn't labelled "Final Fantasy" I would never in a million years think that it was part of the series.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't feel much like FF, but I'm still pretty excited about it anyways.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Was that 60 mins of in-game footage like, an early version of the game?

I mean it looks good and all I guess, but the quality just looked kinda, I dunno, less than what I was expecting from all the other videos i've seen. Some parts of it just looked rough.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Was that 60 mins of in-game footage like, an early version of the game?

I mean it looks good and all I guess, but the quality just looked kinda, I dunno, less than what I was expecting from all the other videos i've seen. Some parts of it just looked rough.

The YT compression is pretty bad, bc it doesnt look to have half the visual fidelity that the current demo has on my LED. That aside im fuckin stoked and the new Kingsglaive movie trailer was pure tits as well. Im hurt by the 2 month delay but ive been having this as a day 1 buy since it was FF13V.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Final Fantasy XV has been delayed from Sep 30 to Nov 29th (2 months) apparently
Bet it was delayed so they can make it compatible with the upgraded PS4 coming out this fall.

This is the first Final Fantasy in a while that doesn't seem to be packed with a bunch of weeabo faggotry. Maybe I'll check it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
A few friends and I are going to get real drunk and have a Kingsglaive viewing party. We have all been Final Fantasy fans since the SNES days, so it seems like the right thing to do.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The new video certainly showcases some old FF game mechanics.

Draw system for spells (FF8), only seem done right. Combine draw in crafting to make different variations of spells.
Sphere grid similar system (FF10)
Hunts (FF12) (I liked that part of the game a lot, think I did most/all of them)

And summons are back in full force.

Audio is very FF ish, with most of the hallmark FF sounds being included in the 52 minutes.

Though I am utterly biased and in the camp of idiots that make the industry worse as a whole by being one of the "Will buy at release, pre-order, no early review or leaked video spelling disaster would stop me from giving them full price for instant day one access to a new Final Fantasy game".

They've not been the same since the games with the Squaresoft logo, not Square Enix, but childhood nostalgia will probably keep me buying their RPGs for as long as they release them. Just in case they ever blow my mind again like stepping out of Midgar to a world map. And utterly disliked the 13 series and really wish 12 had cut every Vaneelo /whateverhisname was part out and replaced it with more Baltheir and with him as clear main character.

Also laughed at the detail of the fishing minigame. Just release the game already, it doesn't need to compete against fishing simulator games.