The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Xalara

Golden Squire
I was able to play the first hour of the game at PAX today. My impressions:

* The combat is fixed compared to Episode Duscae. There are still some issues but they are relatively minor. Plus the combo moves are pretty cool.
* The road trip simulator runs deep. There was a side quest that involves helping make breakfast.
* The FPS was running smooth. However the graphics have been severely downgraded. The close up graphics are like Episode Duscae but off in the distance everything is low detail and "blurry." I will give Square Enix props, they managed to blend the transition from low detail to high detail models VERY well. On the bright side the PS4 Neo and inevitable PC versions of the game will look fantastic.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I played a bit of the demo at PAX also, the combat is significantly improved even better then the Platinum Demo, and the XII demo looked great

spronk

FPS noob
new ps4 slim ff15 uh "moon" edition...

CsN1eoCUkAAnKZq.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone else try the World of Final Fantasy demo? I went from being mostly uninterested due to my dislike for chibi art to strongly considering pre-ordering it so I can play it on Tuesday. It's probably the only FF we'll ever see on real consoles that uses the classic ATB system, and the stacking mechanic seems pretty interesting.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Anyone else try the World of Final Fantasy demo? I went from being mostly uninterested due to my dislike for chibi art to strongly considering pre-ordering it so I can play it on Tuesday. It's probably the only FF we'll ever see on real consoles that uses the classic ATB system, and the stacking mechanic seems pretty interesting.

I played it for a little bit; I wish they would have explained the stacking mechanic instead of just "here it is!". Battle effects/spells needed to look better as well.

spronk

FPS noob
50% discount on many games on the square enix store, I picked up the few final fantasy games I was missing on steam like FF5, FF6, and FF9. Steam halloween sale starts in a few hours too so could maybe be same on there. If you pay with paypal, expect a 14-24 hour delay for your keys to arrive.
Square Enix Online Store

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
World of Final Fantasy is a great game so far. My only real complaint is that the number of mirages you can carry with you seems extremely low compared to the number of them you end up capturing even in just the first few hours.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
World of Final Fantasy is a great game so far. My only real complaint is that the number of mirages you can carry with you seems extremely low compared to the number of them you end up capturing even in just the first few hours.

Went ahead and picked this up after hearing the good reviews(even though the demo wasn't great) and glad I did. Been really enjoying it, not that far in but game really does hit that nostalgia feels pretty good.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

It looked like pokemon and this confirmed my ire.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Went ahead and picked this up after hearing the good reviews(even though the demo wasn't great) and glad I did. Been really enjoying it, not that far in but game really does hit that nostalgia feels pretty good.

There's a lot of strategy in capturing the monsters in the game as well. Toppling stacks, setting debuffs and other status effects to open an opportunity to prism the mob.

The game is way deeper than I expected it to be.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I read it was too easy though, thoughts on that? I mean I don't expect like dying every 20secs or whatever but I kinda dislike when games are easy enough that you can just spam attacks through every fight the entire time and not really care about what's going on at all.

Might pick it up after I'm done with DQ7 I guess.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I read it was too easy though, thoughts on that? I mean I don't expect like dying every 20secs or whatever but I kinda dislike when games are easy enough that you can just spam attacks through every fight the entire time and not really care about what's going on at all.

Might pick it up after I'm done with DQ7 I guess.

I'm still pretty early on in the game and it hasn't been hard or anything tbh. I hear there are some tougher optional arena fights/side areas though. But I mean I don't think I've ever played a FF game that I thought was genuinely hard either, again outside of optional shit that was mostly just grinding to level cap.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm still pretty early on in the game and it hasn't been hard or anything tbh. I hear there are some tougher optional arena fights/side areas though. But I mean I don't think I've ever played a FF game that I thought was genuinely hard either, again outside of optional shit that was mostly just grinding to level cap.
Yeah that's why I said not hard hard, but like for most FFs even the modern ones, there's times where there's some shithead mob types that you have to heal against or use a specific element or do something, and then some of the bosses fights do take a careful approach, with sometimes having chars die here and there(not necessarily wiping, but you have to scramble into recovery mode to rez the guy, heal him back up and shit). But some of the easier jrpgs don't have that at all. Like you can't even really have anyone die because the game's too "easy", you don't really care about anything out of the boss fights either and it's mostly like autoresolve shit.

Main issue I have with this is it makes all sort of customization in combat completely pointless if there's no reason to do any.

And I mean obviously when just playing the game normally, not talking like if you stop and grind for 5hours or use some tricks to recruit some NPC or find an item that makes you OP as fuck during all of early and midgame that would obviously make the game too easy but due to a conscious decision.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really like the basic concept of WoFF, but like Vorph said, it seems really limiting. Unless some of the later mirages have a much bigger pool of skills to pull from, it doesn't seem to be all that robust with only having 2 mirages on 2 party members.

I really can't wait for FF 15 at this point. I know the posts talking about it are pretty old, but I don't think they went full retard like VIII did with the draw system. It sounds more like Magic Spells are crafted grenades, and you gather the materials out in the world and vendors and build them.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I really like the basic concept of WoFF, but like Vorph said, it seems really limiting. Unless some of the later mirages have a much bigger pool of skills to pull from, it doesn't seem to be all that robust with only having 2 mirages on 2 party members.

I really can't wait for FF 15 at this point. I know the posts talking about it are pretty old, but I don't think they went full retard like VIII did with the draw system. It sounds more like Magic Spells are crafted grenades, and you gather the materials out in the world and vendors and build them.

Magic is exactly that, and from what I've seen and played is basically an "Oh shit" button.