The Fishing Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That is just beautiful! Yeah, get fish in there. You might start with just pan fish and see if you can get them established. Trout would be mighty cool, though.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You guys have me thinking with this stocked pond talk. I have a small reservoir that would be fun to have fish in. I think an attempt was made to stock it with trout probably 25 years ago but they did not survive the winter. It is maybe 5 acres and probably 8 or 9 feet deep in the middle. It seems like the only stocking that gets done around here is trout but it might be fun to have bass or something, but I don't know if they could survive the winter. This is Montana so it will freeze very hard. Maybe I would have to get an aerator? It is spring fed in addition to spring runoff so it usually stays fairly full. Here's a couple pictures of it.

pczrjfV.jpg
JJuibTi.jpg
Yeah, Unless you have something to prevent 80% of it freezing solid then I may not stock it...I guess it depends on how much of it is more than 6 feet deep. Trout are a pretty good cold water fish so I would imagine you would have the same issue with anything you put in there.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Fished up a mess of channel and blue cats on the Mississippi the other day, only got a pic of the first caught because I never caught a blue before.

rrr_img_100445.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I froze the fillets from the channels whole and the blues were smaller and all had monster stomachs full of fat and eggs so the meat off them wasn't much, so I cut them into nuggets.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty sure the ice doesn't get anywhere near 6 feet thick. There is a similar sized reservoir in the neighborhood that is stocked with trout but they have a windmill driven aerator that keeps a hole in the ice on all but the coldest days. I imagine something like that would be pretty spendy though.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's not about the ice getting 6 feet thick, it's allowing for the ice to get two feet thick and ensuring there's enough oxygenated water beneath. That 4 foot buffer would allow for that. Obviously your hands are tied as you can't control the depth of it unless you wanted to dredge.

And yeah, those set ups are pretty pricey...but it would solve your issue.
frown.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm pretty sure the ice doesn't get anywhere near 6 feet thick. There is a similar sized reservoir in the neighborhood that is stocked with trout but they have a windmill driven aerator that keeps a hole in the ice on all but the coldest days. I imagine something like that would be pretty spendy though.
$3335 for a 33' double bellow compressor
$1695 for a 13' single bellow compressor

https://www.pondaeration.com/pondaerationwindmill.html

I was curious about the price.

Edit: I just read the double bellow compressors are rated for up to 4 acre ponds. Still, not as pricey as I thought they'd be.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I actually have a windmill about 100 yards from the pond that's used to pump water. I wonder if it could be hooked up to an air pump as well. Unfortunately it's not on the deep end of the reservoir.

la0YGET.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you have continually circulating water pouring in, that might keep an opening in the ice all winter, which would fix the oxygenation issue.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
went offshore into south china sea this weekend, caught kawa kawa, rainbow runner, barracuda, and dorado.
rrr_img_100753.jpg
rrr_img_100754.jpg
rrr_img_100755.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I hope to get my fish on Saturday evening, if I'm feeling well enough to. I love fishing top water baits for bass on the fly rod.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You're pretty fuckin good at guessing pond areas.

Maybe cut a big hole off to the side like 20 feet deep, put your aerator in there and then cut a path into the pond. I don't think 8 ft would get it with 5 ft frost depth... trout require the high end of dissolved oxygen i think.

You could probably have all the carp you want thought!

Would be sweet to have my own trout pond, you got me day dreaming.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
How did you find the spot? Was one of those pictures GPS tagged or something?