The Fishing Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I put 180 Blugill fillets in my freezer today.
smile.png

rrr_img_101764.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I put 180 Blugill fillets in my freezer today.
smile.png

rrr_img_101764.jpg
You keep the skin on? I'm curious, do you eat the skin?

When we keep bluegill, we basically just carve out the sweetmeat and toss the rest. Maybe a tad more than that, but not much.

Also, those look like perch here in Missouri. Bluegills are more colorful here.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Damn. Impressive, both in the catch, and the cleaning.
Thanks!
smile.png

You keep the skin on? I'm curious, do you eat the skin?

When we keep bluegill, we basically just carve out the sweetmeat and toss the rest. Maybe a tad more than that, but not much.

Also, those look like perch here in Missouri. Bluegills are more colorful here.
Gills here are more blue in the jaw, like it looks like a marker was taken to them, it's crazy. (I'll take some pictures next time I'm out) This was a combination of Sunnies and Gills really...a few Pumpkinseeds in there too. The difference in overall color probably has something to do with the colder waters up here I would imagine.

As for the skin, after spending all that time cleaning them, I kept the skin on them and when i thaw them for cooking I'll skin them. Usually I would do that before freezing but this is the result of limiting out 3 times during the day so it would been too much to do just by myself in one sitting.

If I really feel like putting in the work I'll scale them and leave the skin on before I freeze them. The skin actually adds some nice flavor to them but that's a crap ton of scaling you gotta do.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That is a lot of filleting.
Haha, yeah but it all ends up being worth it. I love me some pan fish.

A lot of them were marked up in their tails and their assholes and a good deal of them were males, so they probably just got done making their beds and were waiting for the females to come in and lay their eggs. I was hooking them literally before my bobber came back up above the water when casting them out. Super aggressive...I may end up going back out tomorrow.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I can understand leaving the skin on, just for the sheer amount of filleting you did. Great catch though. I love it when bluegills go nuts like that.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think most people eat the skin of scaly fish. I remember when someone showed my dad how to skin a bass instead of scaling it. He loved it at first because he hates scaling so much, but only did a couple of times then went back to the old way.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the skin can really add some good flavor...scaling is just such a pain in the ass on large catches that....meh. lol

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Also, here's a question. Are there a lot of people here that eat Smelt? When I lived in Michigan we would dip these by the 55 gallon trash cans full and to this day when I think of fish sticks, I think of Smelt. Anyway, when I moved to MN people thought I was weird as hell when I cooked up a batch at a fish fry.

"Smelt are used as bait, you can't eat bait fish!"

I told them if I ever saw any of them using Smelt as bait I would slap them.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Not many places in the world you can enjoy salmon spawning naturally at 5000 feet in elevation. I figured if there was a thread for these this is it.

rrr_img_101974.jpg
rrr_img_101975.jpg
rrr_img_101976.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, you get your pan hot as a mother with some oil, and you get that skin nice and crispy while you cook the meat. That texture adds something magical to fish. I leave the skin on whenever possible. Good for the grill, too.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
You don't vacuum pack your fish? I am probably going to have to replace my Foodsaver model with something more commercial like soon. I am still eating last year Halibut and Salmon, trying to finish cleaning last years freezer, before I really start stacking it full of Salmon.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you guys have me wanting to get back into fishing.. life has drifted me off course but hold shit was I addicted to freshwater most of my life. Bass and trout!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
You don't vacuum pack your fish? I am probably going to have to replace my Foodsaver model with something more commercial like soon. I am still eating last year Halibut and Salmon, trying to finish cleaning last years freezer, before I really start stacking it full of Salmon.
I don't know what model you're using now, but I bought a Gamesaver type Foodsaver not realizing there was a difference, but it is more commercial than the ubiquitous models you see at Walmart or Target. The heat weld is wide, the vacuum is quicker and it doesn't waste as much material each time.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Nope, old fashioned here. Toss fillets in a baggie, put in some water and into the freezer.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nope, old fashioned here. Toss fillets in a baggie, put in some water and into the freezer.
What does the water do, protect it from freezer burn? I can't remember the last time I fished up enough to eat, much less with surplus to freeze.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Smelt is bait. But next time, tell those people that perch is bait too if you're fishing for something big.

DanDain, what does 5000 ft have to do with the spawning? Strictly speaking, you can't watch anything happen at 5k ft in 'most places'.