The Flash

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This thread is going to be awful between seasons...
Offseason Reddit is typically the worst thing in the world. For example...

Imagine if Joe shot Eddie instead of Eddie shooting himself.

*edit*

Here's another one I came up with myself. What if Barry comes out some time in the future because of the time dilation around the black hole?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I love my wife: "Why didn't Eddie just shoot himself in the balls?"
Typical woman. I think most guys would rather be shot in the chest than the balls.

Here's another one I came up with myself. What if Barry comes out some time in the future because of the time dilation around the black hole?
Given the context (awful offseason discussion and Reddit) I had to read this question twice before I realized it wasn't asking about a hypothetical situation where Barry reveals himself as gay.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Iris would have married eddie, but because he kills himself, iris is free to be with barry. My guess is flash season 2 will be like torchwood. Rift opened up in cardiff and all kinds of creatures popped out.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My take on time travel (which I obviously have no supporting evidence for) has always been that it probably creates an offshoot timeline at the moment you go back to. So if Barry went back to save his mom, he'd be in a new timeline where she lives, but all the people he left behind wouldn't notice any difference at all...except that Barry is just gone. From their perspective, nothing about their past would change, because they've already experienced it. Also, if Barry saves his mom and then goes back through the wormhole, he's in the parallel timeline where she has always been alive, so everyone remembers her being alive anyway, which has always been their history. It didn't change, it was always like that. He just thinks he's changed it, when in reality all he did was hop timelines. He's just abandoned all the people he knew to a life without him, and traded it for a group that never knew anything but his mom being alive.

Like the episode with the tsunami. There is a timeline out there where Iris and everyone else died to the tsunami, Barry just left that one. Now you ask, why aren't there two Barry's in that timeline then? Well, it is also entirely possible that the timeline he hops over to is created instantaneously at that moment when he hops, so there is no paradox of two Barrys.

That's how I imagine time travel works, which has always made me view time travel in a lot darker way. You aren't saving the people in your timeline, you're abandoning them to death or whatever fate you're trying to prevent. Because I don't feel that a timeline simply winks out of existence because one person leaves it. Your frame of reference changes, that's all.

Obviously this can be argued to death and I wouldn't have answers for things like our Barry seeing future Barry telling him not to save her, but I still feel that it can be consistent with my creating new timelines theory, it just gets more convoluted.
That's just many worlds theory explained in way more words. Problem with that and this show is that Eddie killing himself wouldn't have stopped Eobard because he would be a different version's Eddie and not his actual ancestor.

I also can't believe Astr0 is saying Eddie sacrificing himself to save his loved ones is further proof that Eddie's a crazy villain.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, they could have rolled with the "because he's been exposed to the timestream he's independent of the causality now" angle, which is somewhat what they've done in the comics before. But then he wouldn't have vanished.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is why I hate time travel. Unless they have planned this out for several years in advance and are sticking to a certain theory on how time travel works and it's laws in the flash universe. It ends up being a lazy plot device to just make shit up as you go alone and reset things, making everything that happens pointless. See Babylon 5 on how to do time travel.

Still love the show and I think it's put the Flash movie in a very bad spot for how likable tv flash is and this guy they cast for the Film looks like a douche.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's just many worlds theory explained in way more words. Problem with that and this show is that Eddie killing himself wouldn't have stopped Eobard because he would be a different version's Eddie and not his actual ancestor.

I also can't believe Astr0 is saying Eddie sacrificing himself to save his loved ones is further proof that Eddie's a crazy villain.
i never said he was a villain, that shitnugget is all you. I said eddie was crazy, and this has not changed that view

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Never read comics but always watched every superhero show, cartoon etc...
Can someone tell me about the helmet please?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Never read comics but always watched every superhero show, cartoon etc...
Can someone tell me about the helmet please?
The original Flash's. Jay Garrick, not Barry Allen

Flash_Jay_Garrick_0091.jpg

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really quite the paradox. My first thought was Eddie killed himself none of this should have happened. But then if none of it happened Eddie would not have killed himself and then everything would have happened anyhow. and around and around you go.

Same with the vasectomy plan. Eddie gets a vasectomy then none of it happens, But if none of it happened why would Eddie get a vasectomy? and around and around you go.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because it all already happened. Thawne's plan to kill a child Barry would have worked because he would have been returning to a future where there had never been a Flash. He also would have been returning to a time that already had an Eobard Thawne who never became the Reverse Flash. That was the one major flaw to Thawne's plan, is that he never could have returned to his original time because his original time would never have happened. Yeah he could have gotten back to a time with a technology level he was used to, but everything would still be different.

The reason Eobard vanished, but nothing else changed, is because he was from a future where he no longer existed. Except even that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny because he is not the Eobard from the future that got erased, he's the Eobard from the original timeline where Nora wasn't murdered. If the original timeline was timeline a, Nora getting murdered is timeline b, and Eddie killing himself creates a timeline c, why would Eobard A cease to exist because there are no more Thawnes in timeline c?

Basically, the only real answer is A WIZARD DID IT. Or in this context, THE SPEED FORCE DID IT.

Also, for the people complaining about Ollie getting the KO on Reverse Flash last week, it seems clear that Thawne only fought hard enough to avoid suspicion, but threw the fight knowing that Barry wouldn't kill him in order to set up the devil's choice for the finale. In case any hadn't figured that out.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I really hate time travel shenanigans in general, but the show started with one and professor zoom's whole comic backstory is based on a series of them. The speed force is silly too. I still enjoy most of the character story though.