The Food Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I spend around $50 per week on groceries. I probably dine out 2-4 times per week. That probably adds another $45-$70 depending on the places. Y'all motherfuckers are crazy.

Trader Joe's is cheap.
Single guy vs family of 5 isnt real comparable

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember marveling at the grocery bills growing up in my house of 6 kids and 2 adults. $300+ every week or so, in 80's and 90's money.

Kids are the worst.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Holy shit, yeah that is crazy. Going through my finances I realized that we spent 1500 bucks on groceries in May. But that is the month we bought a deep freeze and filled it, and that includes diapers and other Costco stuff, so it isn't as bad as it seems.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Holy shit, yeah that is crazy. Going through my finances I realized that we spent 1500 bucks on groceries in May. But that is the month we bought a deep freeze and filled it, and that includes diapers and other Costco stuff, so it isn't as bad as it seems.
Am I to understand that you filled your deep freeze with diapers? You put frozen diapers on your children?

You monster.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I spend almost 500 bucks a month on food and I live alone. My girlfriend stays here at least every weekend, though she sometimes buy food on those weekends. I can easily see spending 1000+ a month with 3 kids.

Granted, I've done 50 bucks a week before as well, when the budget was tight.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I mean, we could do 50 bucks per month, and we could make it work. We're spoiled as fuck, though. Choice cuts of meat, fresh produce, organic milk, etc. Even eating out, we're not eating at 5 star restaurants or anything but we definitely eat well when we go out, it isn't Taco Bell 5 nights a week.

What really shocked me was the quantity. I feel like we cook a lot, and when I parsed it out I found that in the month of May we ate out 43 times. There are only 31 days in the fucking month.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
What really shocked me was the quantity. I feel like we cook a lot, and when I parsed it out I found that in the month of May we ate out 43 times. There are only 31 days in the fucking month.
Eating out is a budget killer. We try to keep it to one day a week (Saturday), but sometimes I just don't feel like cooking.

We had 'Irish' food yesterday, which involved Guinness, of course, and I had this wacky thing called a Dubliner Waffle. It was a Potato Waffle, covered in corned beef and cabbage, and drizzled with a light dijon sauce. The waffle was incredible, unbelievably fluffy considering it's potato-iness. I could only eat about a third of the waffle, it was huge.

We also had an app called Voodoo Pork Wings, which were also incredible. BBQ'd pork shanks, frenched down like lamb chops. I'll be going back. $50 tab for the two of us.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I rarely eat out. Eating out(especially at night) usually includes drinking and that basically doubles or triples the f'ing tab if I'm there. There are people at work who go out every single day for lunch at 15+ bucks a pop, then bitch about being broke. That's 300+ bucks a month just for your lunch.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I spend almost 500 bucks a month on food and I live alone. My girlfriend stays here at least every weekend, though she sometimes buy food on those weekends. I can easily see spending 1000+ a month with 3 kids.

Granted, I've done 50 bucks a week before as well, when the budget was tight.
Heh... I spend like $2k on food a month and I live alone. I need to stop dining out all fancy in the pantsy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here's the problem with kids, that I didn't realize until I had one. I kinda thought that yeah, formula and baby food will be expensive but once the kid can eat regular food, things shouldn't be so bad. I mean, how much more food do I need to cook for dinner to feed another being that only weighs 25 lbs? Not much.

Well, I didn't take into account that the kid apparently needs to eat like 8 times a day. You can't give a 1 year old a hamburger at noon and then that's it until dinner at 7pm. little bastard needs snacks and milk in-between. And those snacks tend to be expensive crap like fresh fruit and veggies, kid-portioned yogurts, etc. My wife and I used to buy half-gallons of milk because we couldn't drink a gallon before it expired in 10-14 days. Now we go through a gallon of milk in our home like every 3-4 days, and yeah, my wife insists on the expensive local-dairy organic stuff too.

We used to have a couple nights a week where the wife and I were just tired from work and didn't want to cook, so we'd eat PB&J sandwiches, or frozen pizza, or some crap like that which was easy and cheap. No more. Need to cook something healthy every night, and it can't just be meat & potatoes, need a vegetable(or two) as well.

Who would have thought that one more little mouth to feed would increase or grocery bill by probably 40-50%.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
2000/90 = ~$22 per meal. I don't see how that is really possible.
Well if you eat at a high end restaurant, it can easily run you about 125 a person if you're drinking alcohol. If you eat at them regularly, I guess I can see hitting 2,000/month. That's so far outside of my budget that I can't even really process spending that much on food a month for just myself.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has there ever been any concrete research on buying the super organic Horizon brand milk is better for children than normal milk?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Depends. If you have a 40$ bottle of wine with dinner every night, that shit adds up.

Eat "organic," and double everything's price.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How the fuck? Where do you go to eat to warrant that much?
I live in Connecticut and used to work in one of the more expensive areas of the state (Avon). I used to spend 30-40 on lunch alone five days a week. And then I would go out for dinner too and drop another 60 or so. I was eating in West Hartford Center and Blue Back Square which have a lot of very nice, but very expensive restaurants. Shit I used to go to an oyster bar there just for happy hour.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I live in Connecticut and used to work in one of the more expensive areas of the state (Avon). I used to spend 30-40 on lunch alone five days a week. And then I would go out for dinner too and drop another 60 or so. I was eating in West Hartford Center and Blue Back Square which have a lot of very nice, but very expensive restaurants. Shit I used to go to an oyster bar there just for happy hour.
Thats pretty crazy haha, i feel bad when i pay $10 every day for lunch and then $3 for a coffee at starbucks 5x a week, every week. I don't feel so bad anymore~
That will change soon though, once i'm working remotely at the end of August lol

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I find it impossible to budget for food because we do things so strangely. Last month I took possession of a half cow, a pig, and a bunch of chickens, so budget blown like holy shit. But, now I don't have to buy meat for nearly a year, so the rest of the months that's less. This month, we were on vacation, so we ate out quite a bit. Take seven people out, and watch the bills get enormous. So, budget blown. However, my garden is producing so much, and we have so much stuff in the freezer, we're going to spend virtually nothing on food for the next couple of months. My family tends to not want to eat out for a while after we've done so a bunch on vacation.

But yeah, that's bananas for two people. Time to eat noodles and salt for a month, man.
Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for the half cow? It's getting to be time for me to start selling them but the cattle markets have gone so nuts the last year or so I don't know what to charge for them. It's gotten to the point where I can sell them on the hoof for almost as much as I used to charge cut, wrapped, and frozen.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Grocery bills, $40.00 lunches and half-cows! We need a new title for this thread, as Fast Food doesn't really encompass it at this point.

"Food Thread"