The Food Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Grocery bills, $40.00 lunches and half-cows! We need a new title for this thread, as Fast Food doesn't really encompass it at this point.

"Food Thread"
Don't forget Potato Waffles! Seriously though, food deserves more threads than 'fast' and 'cooking'.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Of course not.
I've seen studies that link early puberty in girls to the hormones found in non-organic milk. Then I have seen those studies debunked and instead the rising rates of obesity blamed. And then I have seen more studies linking it to the hormones. I think the bottom line is that they don't know what the full impact is and everyone involved in finding out seems to have an agenda going in. So I'd just rather not.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've seen studies that link early puberty in girls to the hormones found in non-organic milk. Then I have seen those studies debunked and instead the rising rates of obesity blamed. And then I have seen more studies linking it to the hormones. I think the bottom line is that they don't know what the full impact is and everyone involved in finding out seems to have an agenda going in. So I'd just rather not.
I don't think you have seen any studies that link early puberty in girls to the hormones found in non-organic milk. You may have seen some paranoia about it from hippies.

rrr_img_72218.jpg

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I realize that this is the fast food thread, but people are so fucking ignorant about this stuff.

Growth hormones in milk: myth/fact Aetiology

1) milk has hormones in it, whether it is organic or not.
2) cows that have been given hormones have avery slightlyincreased level of the hormones that are already in milk
3) ingesting hormones does not make your boobs grow like if you were injecting them into your blood and even if you were injecting them into your blood, the amounts in milk are too FAR low to have an effect
4) the amounts are a tiny fraction of the hormones produced by your own body or those present in many other foods including things like broccoli
5) even if they did have an effect (they don't), they are killed by pasteurization

Stop wasting your money on organic milk. The worries about it are totally manufactured by hippy fear mongers and Monsanto haters. More study isn't needed unless someone comes up with a plausible mechanism by which it would even be possible for a negligible increase in a hormone that is already present in your body and much of the food you eat to have some meaningful effect on your health.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think you have seen any studies that link early puberty in girls to the hormones found in non-organic milk. You may have seen some paranoia about it from hippies.

rrr_img_72218.jpg
I haven't read the actual study, no, but I have read articles about them.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had to block my one cousin from facebook since literally 5 times a week she'd post some quack article about how GMOs and non-organic food was causing everything from autism to cancer to baldness. I just couldn't deal with it. Her kid is allergic to basically everything on the planet and somehow GMOs are to blame. I haven't fully realized the connection. Especially since she got pregnant with the kid after she completely switched over to her anti-GMO campaign. I'm also not sure how just because Europe has banned or made labeling requirements for GMOs that means it is the end-all be-all discussion that it is right. Because Europe is right about everything.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My grocery stores "organic" section keeps growing every month. Someone out there is laughing all the way to the bank.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Organic is such a scam. I love breaking the news to vegan assholes that the majority of that fucking organic bullshit they eat is fertilized with turkey shit. My uncle has become a millionaire growing organic corn and soybeans because white people are fucking stupid. The thing that effects taste in what you buy is the breed and how it is stored. Not any of that other dumb shit. A little off topic from organic milk but meh felt like ranting.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Your uncle should buy rerolled a mansion with his millions he's made off silly white folk.
bring the ol' fires of heaven house to real life!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Organic is such a scam. I love breaking the news to vegan assholes that the majority of that fucking organic bullshit they eat is fertilized with turkey shit. My uncle has become a millionaire growing organic corn and soybeans because white people are fucking stupid. The thing that effects taste in what you buy is the breed and how it is stored. Not any of that other dumb shit. A little off topic from organic milk but meh felt like ranting.
Now I will be the first one to agree that organic is a rip off, but it's not really about taste necessarily. A lot has to do with lack of pesticides and other chemicals, heavy metals, etc. I've done a lot organic certification work for organic nutritional supplements / sports nutrition stuff and the requirements to get products "organic certified" are extensive. That said, the benefits are definitely up for debate and the price difference is almost always ridiculous.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
About 6 or 7 years ago our ranch was really struggling financially and since I was living in the SF Bay Area at the time surrounded by wacky food bullshit I did a lot of earnest research to see if doing some kind of organic/premium/natural/local type stuff might be a way for the place to make more money. By the time I got done researching I could only conclude that I would be a total charlatan if I tried to get into that business because they are just selling marketing. Yes the farming practice is different (although not as different as a lot of people think) but there is really nothing that you can make a reasonable person think that there is any good reason to buy that shit. Being a rational person myself, I could not in good conscience sell something that I knew was a scam.

I am not saying that organic farmers are cynical scammers. I think that most of them believe that what they are doing is good. That belief is not based on good science though and they couldn't support it with evidence if they tried.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think people put a lot of research or thought into it, really. People (wrongly) think organic means that no pesticides are used, and eating pesticides are bad (another assumption, a couple actually) and so there you go. It is especially easy to convince parents of this shit, no parent wants to funnel some chemical into their kids and have it come out 10 years later that they may have harmed them somehow.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Now I will be the first one to agree that organic is a rip off, but it's not really about taste necessarily. A lot has to do with lack of pesticides and other chemicals, heavy metals, etc. I've done a lot organic certification work for organic nutritional supplements / sports nutrition stuff and the requirements to get products "organic certified" are extensive. That said, the benefits are definitely up for debate and the price difference is almost always ridiculous.
I could and can respect that but they always have to throw in the it tastes so much better bullshit. That is what annoys me, that and vegetarians and vegans are worse then people that lost a lot of weight or quit smoking.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That's a fairly easy assumption to make just because a lot of "premium" fruit and vegetables are also organic. If you bought some super fancy hand picked tomatoes and they said organic on them then you might think that organic was the reason that they were so good. In fact they were just really fucking good tomatoes which also happened to be organic but what they were or weren't sprayed with really had nothing to do with the flavor. There is also the placebo effect thing where if you believe that what you are eating is "special" you will probably like it better.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Here be where we discuss food in general. Not fast food, there's a thread for that. Not necessarily cooking, there's a thread for that. But bring on the discussions of growing food, organic food, food allergies, and so forth.

Go!