The Food Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My daughter will not eat cheese. She seems to dislke pretty much any dairy. But she has never complained of discomfort that would indicate lactose intolerance. This happened all of the sudden, she used to put down mac and cheese and whatever else cheese, always wanted cheese on everything. Now she won't even eat a cheeseburger.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I like cheese.
What kind of cheese is your favorite? I absolutely adore cheese. The best party I've ever been to was a wine and cheese party a married couple I know hosted a few years ago. The wife must have put out about 2 - 3 dozen different types of cheeses, and I had a ball trying them all. I find that I really enjoy the harder cheese and the moldy cheeses, like Stilton or Bleu Cheese the most. I've never been fond of the super creamy cheeses.

My overall favorite cheese is easily Jarlsberg. Give me a 1/2 pound of Jarlsberg and a fresh loaf of bread and I'll be in heaven.

*Edit* The price of Jarlsberg can go fuck itself, though. 10 dollars for a tiny little block of cheese, so I can only indulge now and then.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I get really good cheese for really a really good price at Sam's Club. They have Jarlsberg for around 6$ a pound often. Also always have great prices on Gouda, smoked Gouda, varieties of Edam, and other things off and on. They usually have a very nice wensleydale, sometimes with an infused fruit, sometimes with beer infused, but always good.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys are fuckin' amateurs with your under 1k a month for a family of five spending habits.

McCheese

Actually, I misspoke. Jarlsberg is one of my favorite cheeses, but my favorite is this:

rrr_img_72259.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Here be where we discuss food in general. Not fast food, there's a thread for that. Not necessarily cooking, there's a thread for that. But bring on the discussions of growing food, organic food, food allergies, and so forth.

Go!
Fine. What did you pay for your half of beef?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Fine. What did you pay for your half of beef?
The way these folks do it, you just pay by pound, and everything goes on the scale, so ground beef, steaks, roasts, and organs go on the scale, and I ended up paying in the neighbourhood of 3.25$ a pound. For grass fed, locally raised, non-hormoned beef, I'm pretty happy with that. So we got around 300 pounds of meat, include processing fees and such, and we paid right around 1,050$ for it.

The pork comes out at around 3$ a pound, and the chickens are right about 8$ per chicken, and they average 7 pounds.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
We're not totally out of whack then. I think we charged $2.85 a pound last year and the halves were between $800 and $1000 depending on size. We will almost certainly raise the price this year because I can sell a cow on the hoof for $1400 which is double what I got for them even a couple years ago.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You charged 2.85$ a pound processed including steaks? Damn, man. You need to up your prices. The equivalent ground beef in the store locally is over 5$ a pound.

What are your processing fees like?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That was for the hanging weight. They actually only get like 2/3 to 1/2 that much meat after it's processed. It is still a good deal though. Around here most people that buy beef like the grass fed hormone free stuff but they are really looking for a deal. I wish I lived close enough to a big city to sell to people who are willing to pay out the ass for that. I think processing is around $250 for a whole beef, so I'm still making ~$300/head by selling direct to the consumer but it's a pretty big pain in the ass to find customers and then get it processed and then deliver it vs. just dropping them off at the sales yard.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
$300 per head is not a lot, my friend, I wish you were making more. People just don't value quality meat enough - the difference when you have good, well processed meat that is well prepared vs. the generic stuff available anywhere is huge.

Do you sell your tongue, liver, and hearts? Or is there just no interest in those parts of the cow? I always take it all. The tongue makes outstanding sandwich meat.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's up to the customer if they want that stuff. They talk directly to the butcher shop and get things cut the way that they want. People do some dumb ass shit though. Last year one lady wanted all her steaks ground up because she said they eat hamburger more than steak. I think the butcher talked her out of that at least. Another customer told me that she had been using the rib eyes for stir fry because she didn't know what they were. I try not to think too much about it.

I like tongue also as long as the skin is off of it. I can't take looking at those bumps while I'm eating. I also like heart which not too many people seem to eat. Even liver is enjoyable once in a while. The only thing I have never tried is brains. They just look too disgusting but my grandfather used to love them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have recipes for the brains, and I like it, but my family would throw stones at me if I served it up for dinner. I've convinced them to eat tongue, heart, and liver periodically, so I figure I'm doing pretty well.

Yeah, I've heard of people having their entire quarter or whatever made into ground beef. That makes Jesus sad.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I tried lengua for the first time somewhat recently and I loved it. Still a little weird to think about. I don't know why, but it is.

Growing up, my family would always buy a half cow and half pig. That would last us forever and the meat was delicious. Some amazing pot roasts, ground beef, steaks, sausage. Really good stuff.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you guys do coupons? i found out years ago i rarely have any use for coupons. (i'm sure i'll be using coupons soon when we get our spawn, with diapers/formula, etc)

i have most of my toiletries shipped from amazon and any other monthly items, with subscribe and save if you do 7+ items you save 15% more.

farmers market depot is usually where i get most of my veggies/fruits

then out of the 5 supermarkets within a 3mile radius (i don't want to travel far for groceries, that just wastes time and gas) i goto the one with the meat/chicken sales of the week, usually you just know by now which ones will have the sale, i don't visit each one, i just look at the stupid flyers of the weekly ads that the postman delivers and plan out my shopping for the week.

just my wife and myself fresh groceries fruits/veggies meat for a week, is about $100

Gravy

Bronze Squire
What kind of cheese is your favorite?
I don't know if I have a favorite, I like most all cheeses with the exception of smoked cheeses. I think it's kind of strange that I don't like smoked cheese, since I'm nuts for smoked meats.

A few favorites are Manchego, sharp cheddar, really fucking sharp cheddar, Stella Fontinella, and blue cheeses. I'm not a cheese snob though, I'll eat velveeta and american cheese (although both are high in sodium and I'm not supposed to eat them). Actually most cheeses are fairly high in sodium, but fuck it, I gotta have me some cheese.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been on a real Manchego + Serrano kick lately.

That will make you the best Ham + Cheese you've ever had in your LIFE

McCheese

What the hell is that?
Chechil, it's fucking delicious. It makes a great walking food, cause you can just kind of unravel and eat it gradually as you walk, almost like a fruit-by-the-foot made out of cheese. It goes great with beer, too, because it's so salty.