The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The most common symptoms for BPD include:

Intense emotions and mood swings.
Harmful, impulsive behaviors. ...
Relationship problems. ...
Low self-worth.
A frantic fear of being left alone (abandoned). ...
Aggressive behavior.

Thannks Famm. She matches all those. Reading the Wiki is less clear though, a lot doesn't fit her, but it does seem like a possibility. I wonder if you can be both? The one thing that keeps her really off the sociopath list is guilt. I read that true sociopaths don't feel guilt or remorse. There are plenty of occurrences where it she hasn't shown that guilt or remorse for things that most people would, but I can't say that she never feels this.
I think these things are more of a spectrum than a hard and fast checklist of traits. But there's a lot of girls who seem to fall in the BPD categorization. Like you said, the sociopathic thing involves some pretty severe lack of empathy or guilt/remorse. She might have some sense of guilt but she doesn't really let it show because all the bad stuff happens in those impulsive/aggressive phases. They kind of block that off after its over and try to gloss over it, doesn't mean they don't feel anything over it. On the contrary they tend to be overly emotional, whereas I get the impression a sociopath might just shrug it off.

Bottom line, bitch be cray. Don't let her back, you're torturing yourself if you don't walk away. It will be better for you in the long run.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Alternatively it's just confirmation bias. You think something is fucked up with this chick, you find some stuff that fits, you think HOLY SHIT SHE HAS X

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, generally when someone displays all the signs of BPD, they have BPD. Quacks like a duck etc.

Even if they don't technically have BPD (personality disorders being hard to diagnose even by professionals) if they're displaying all those symptoms do you really want to be around them?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
This is the DSM-V criteria for personality disorders in general:

A. An enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior the deviates markedly from the expectations of the individual's culture. This pattern is manifested in two (or more) of the following areas:
1. Cognition (i.e., ways of perceiving and interpreting self, other people and events)
2. Affectivity (i.e., the range, intensity, liability, and appropriateness of emotional response)
3. Interpersonal functioning
4. Impulse control
B. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations.
C. The enduring pattern leads to clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
D. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back at least to adolescence or early adulthood.
E. The enduring pattern is not better accounted for as a manifestation or consequence of another mental disorder.
F. The enduring pattern is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., head trauma).

Followed by the diagnostic criteria of BPD:
A. A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self image or sense of self.
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.
6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

I see a lot of women in my clinic with BPD, it is very common. People can have personality disorder traits and not have the diagnosis. It is important to evaluate for personality disorders because if you ignore it, it muddies up the clinical picture.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bottom line, bitch be cray. Don't let her back, you're torturing yourself if you don't walk away. It will be better for you in the long run.
Ya, that's the general consensus I get from my friends. I agree it's sound advice. Just harder to put into practice.

And she's asked me in the past "what's wrong with me?" and at the time, I only saw signs like she would say things to people in public that you wouldn't normally say. Just like she had no filter or awareness. Even some things she would say to me, I'd be like, why did you feel the need to tell me that? She was aware enough that she realized she didn't have interactions in the same way other people do with each other. But ya, since we broke up, she's exhibited a ton more. I used to think she was possibly bi-polar, just because she would have such severe mood swings out of nowhere. It was actually a psychologist friend of mine, that only met her once, told me she was possibly bi-polar. And that was without me telling him anything, or asking.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Your psychologist friend isn't very much of a psychologist if he's making a half-assed diagnosis of someone just from meeting them in a casual setting. Unless you just call him a psychologist because he's some schmuck with a psychology degree that flips burgers at Micky Dees like the majority of the people with that degree.

Either way, why are you stressing so much about what could possibly be wrong with her, she's your ex.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Emotional lability is more characteristic of Borderline Personality Disorder. Unless someone has had a manic or hypomanic episode, they cannot have Bipolar disorder.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nah, he's actual an actual psychologist. We were just hanging out, they talked for about 20 minutes, and in passing he's like "I think your girl might be bi-polar." I didn't press for more. Just nodded, and was like "yup." Seemed harmless at the time. This was pretty early on. Like 2 months into our relationship.

I wouldn't say I'm stressing, but just seeing things make sense now for a breakup that really didn't make much sense at the time. You figure a week prior she was doodling our married names on paper and discussing wedding themes and kid's names, then fast forward a week and she tells you she wants to break up because she doesn't love you anymore. Was just very odd. There was no build up. We were having sex 4-5 times a week since forever, and that actually continued after we broke up. We were still sleeping with each other up until a few weeks ago when I made her move out.

Plus, if her current actions are any clue, there's a decent chance she'll want to get back with me, so I'm trying to see if it's worthwhile to to give that a shot or if it's doomed because of "teh crazy."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And honestly, I loved her more than any other girl I've ever been with. She's the only one that made me actually want to get married.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plus, if her current actions are any clue, there's a decent chance she'll want to get back with me, so I'm trying to see if it's worthwhile to to give that a shot or if it's doomed because of "teh crazy."
Just don't, stop deluding yourself. There's too many red flags. You're setting yourself up for a lifetime of pain.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah, he's actual an actual psychologist. We were just hanging out, they talked for about 20 minutes, and in passing he's like "I think your girl might be bi-polar." I didn't press for more. Just nodded, and was like "yup." Seemed harmless at the time. This was pretty early on. Like 2 months into our relationship.

I wouldn't say I'm stressing, but just seeing things make sense now for a breakup that really didn't make much sense at the time. You figure a week prior she was doodling our married names on paper and discussing wedding themes and kid's names, then fast forward a week and she tells you she wants to break up because she doesn't love you anymore. Was just very odd. There was no build up. We were having sex 4-5 times a week since forever, and that actually continued after we broke up. We were still sleeping with each other up until a few weeks ago when I made her move out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And honestly, I loved her more than any other girl I've ever been with. She's the only one that made me actually want to get married.
Honestly that doesn't sound weird at all. People go through these changes all of the time. They start thinking about the massive life changes of getting married and having children and think about it in relation to the person they're with and things change. The scenario you described is not uncommon in the least. Sex isn't an indication of love.

Yeah you miss her, yeah you loved her, but think about it dude. This is a chick who is NOT ready to settle down and has potential to just completely bail on you at any given time. Do you REALLY want that from your spouse? Just let it go.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I just wanna see her twat. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

If I have to be serious, I'd say run now. Do you really see yourself longterm with her? Tap that shit one more time, make it last and make it nasty, and bail.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I was trying the 30 day No Contact thing, but she spoiled that today. Had only been 9 days. We shared a place, her name is still on the lease til August, so she still has her key. Just walked right on in while I was cooking and I was just like "shiiiiiit." In the past, she would let me know when she was coming over, and I would step out for a bit. I guess she wanted to surprise me. I tried to ignore her for about 20 minutes while she did stuff around the house, but then we slowly started chatting, which then turned into almost 2 hours of conversation. I'm weak. She cried a bit, but my poker face was strong. It was all very pleasant and nice, but I'm a bit irritated now because doing that no contact shit is hard. I was proud to make it 9 days, sucks that it was spoiled by something out of my control. Do I start the 30 days over?

Oh, and I had seen it long term with her. Obviously, I was getting ready to propose to her. We had discussed marriage for almost a year now. I was just waiting for some extra $$ to get a nice ring. Had it too in a nice tax return, but that came 1 week after we broke up.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Only because I'm grateful for the advice you guys give, but you shall go no further....
rrr_img_99808.jpg

rrr_img_99809.jpg

rrr_img_99810.jpg

rrr_img_99811.jpg

idk why this stuff is getting rotated.....

any help?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I can't read these last few pages and not think "This all completely fits for the guy who loves the Star Wars prequels."

We tried to cure him of his delusions before, guys. It's time to walk away, we're only going to get hurt again.