The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As myself and others pointed out, simply moving money around doesn't help you legally. If things go nuclear & lawyers get involved, the first thing her lawyer will do if you drain the accounts and cut off her cards is get legal orders (forget the proper term) that suspend the assets until a legal agreement is in place. So skip the drama & extra legal expenses and go right to making the standing agreement that will govern finances until the situation is resolved. The situation has already arrived, so no way around it now.

I personally didn't end up needing one (very short marriage, assets were mostly separate and we separated the few joint ones immediately), but they have stipulations like no large purchases, amount of monthly spend, etc. Nothing will protect you completely from a crazy person, but it gives you legal recourse if she goes off the rails. Trying to hoard all the money yourself will a) not work legally and b) make you look like a controlling asshole when the court gets involved.

In a situation where perception can go a long way for you or against you, it is in your interest to keep perception in your favor.
I'm sure it varies by state but he needs to do this shit before any divorce proceedings take place. If he does it in the middle of it all, yeah shit's going to get turned around on him. There's no reason he can't start putting his paychecks in a separate account right now. Maybe Cad can elucidate.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Paternity test is hilarious. He caught her cheating with a behavior change almost immediately and you think she's been dow-lowing for years?

Some of you guys are so broken.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Paternity test is hilarious. He caught her cheating with a behavior change almost immediately and you think she's been dow-lowing for years?

A paternity test in this scenario is perfectly reasonable. It's also perfectly reasonable to not get one. Neither course of action is crazy.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sure it varies by state but he needs to do this shit before any divorce proceedings take place. If he does it in the middle of it all, yeah shit's going to get turned around on him. There's no reason he can't start putting his paychecks in a separate account right now. Maybe Cad can elucidate.
Agreed, it should be done before any divorce proceedings. Valos referred to a post-nupital agreement. That is probably the proper legal term. It doesn't mean you are definitely getting a divorce or even a separation. But it is a legal agreement that clarifies handling of finances and such going forward. Separating income could easily be part of that.

tl;dr - "don't wait" is right, be proactive. Start working with a lawyer or mediator NOW.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A paternity test in this scenario is perfectly reasonable. It's also perfectly reasonable to not get one. Neither course of action is crazy.
The Ancient lives by The Zelda Boss RuleT. He must be cheated on 3 times before checking paternity.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Once you file in most states there are standard orders which are issued immediately basically commanding you not to clean out accounts or close accounts or lock them out of the house etc. Working husband cannot freeze wife out of assets. If you do it before the filing, her lawyer will just go to court and order you to put it back or order temporary spousal support.

I'd definitely clean out the accounts before you file anyway, close joint credit accounts, etc.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Look, I am not one to side with the Aspies on stuff like this, but one thing that is certainly often true is that cheaters always cheat again. In fact, its entirely plausible that she did so discretely before and (as people often do) started getting careless about covering her tracks. This is true of BOTH men and women. They have been together 15 years and they are likely going to be dividing up a lot of shared relationships. The fact that he made her confess to her own parents what she did suggests that the propaganda war is already going. We know how people when they get caught (both genders) rationalize it to acquaintances by talking shit about the person they cheated on, because they don't want to admit that they were weak/untrustworthy. Asking for this is completely reasonable and lays certain questions to rest. And if it really isn't his? Then he just made it really hard for her to garner sympathy from any mutual acquaintances when things start to get ugly. If I were in his situation, I would assume nothing at this point. He has to build trust back up from the foundation, brick by brick, if he even wants to move on with his life, let alone repair things with his wife.

But like Khaine said, its perfectly reasonable, if you can accept not knowing that information emotionally. That's something he will have to consider based on his assessment of the situation. If I were in his shoes, I would probably be contemplating it and discussing it with a close friend who knew both parties for a long time, to get their spin on it. But he might just want to dig his feet in and not have the shadow of "this is not my genetics" hanging over his head, if he enjoys being a father. Either way, he is probably going to have to shell out support for the fuck trophy, no matter who's it is. He just needs to consider all angles at this point, especially as he is going forward and rebuilding his life.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Ancient lives by The Zelda Boss RuleT. He must be cheated on 3 times before checking paternity.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Soygen again.

rrr_img_104575.png

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
one thing that iscertainly oftentrue is that cheatersalwayscheat again.
this is some profound shit.

Paternity test is something you might do if you knew you weren't going to forgive her and stay married and didn't want to end up responsible for a child. It's not something you do if you are still trying to work it out just because your emotions are all over the place. It's not going to help things with your personal feelings or your wife's disposition towards you.

I feel bad for the guy that a bunch of dumb fucks on a message board might be putting the idea in his head that his kid isn't his.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Paternity test is something you might do if you knew you weren't going to forgive her and stay married and didn't want to end up responsible for a child. It's not something you do if you are still trying to work it out just because your emotions are all over the place. It's not going to help things with your personal feelings or your wife's disposition towards you.

I feel bad for the guy that a bunch of dumb fucks on a message board might be putting the idea in his head that his kid isn't his.
Yeah who cares that the lawyer agrees with us.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'd only go postal on the assets/credit etc if you are reasonably certain you want to divorce because it will definitely initiate WW3.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna neg you if you don't join us in calling for a paternity test. Swear to god, a neg. Don't push me.
I will jerk off to Left Tilda a second time if you don't join me, The Ancient and the marriage counselor. Don't test me buddy!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I will jerk off to Left Tilda a second time if you don't join me, The Ancient and the marriage counselor. Don't test me buddy!
Wat? Left Tilda was fine, even if it took a pound of makeup to accomplish. Did you mean Right Tilda?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Yeah because the bitch who stepped out with a co-worker repeatedly after 15 years of marriage is totally not the cause of any trust issues, nor should be held to a higher scrutiny when trying to fix the relationship (if its even possible). /sarcasm

Fuck the cheating parties emotional disposition. Be a man. Get the facts. Make a decision based on the facts.

Dude is trying to build a case both for his divorce and for his possible reconciliation. Trust has been breached and he needs to cover his bases before weighing his options. Assuming she was faithful prior to being caught is not going to do that. Further, if she is sincere about trying to mend things, then she has zero argument against the test.... unless of course she was banging someone else three years ago.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just curious how many of the "pro-divorce and paternity test people" are married with kids?

I have been married for 12 years and with my wife for 17.5 years. I am pretty confident I could forgive and move on if it was just physical, if it was love...well that would be much harder to deal with. In either case I would probably have a counseling session scheduled immediately.

Wat? Left Tilda was fine, even if it took a pound of makeup to accomplish. Did you mean Right Tilda?
Nope Left, my dick might be orange after but it would be so worth :p

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Married for 9 years, no kids. Known wife for 15. Been cheated on before and feel cheating is a sign of weakness.

If my wife banged some other dude as a one night stand, yeah I might try to salvage it if she seemed sincere. If she moved on to another guy emotionally? No coming back from that. It might make me suicidal, were it to happen. Cannot fathom a situation where I would ever do something like that to my wife.

I agree having a kid complicates things, which is all the more reason to get your facts in order. There is a time to be emotional and a time to be rational.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Been with my girlfriend 6 years. Cheating is the deal breaker. All I ask for is trust and honesty. I don't go fucking other women, she doesn't need to be fucking other dudes. Least she can do if she wants to fuck someone else is drop a god damn text letting me know its over. Shit, that takes what, 2 seconds? If I can't trust her why would I be with her?
So Tonic, bro, get you a lawyer and a paternity test. Cover your 6.