The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Like I said, hard to explain. For instance, I was cleaning rat carcasses and rat shit out of my shed the other day, and it really didn't feel any more miserable than everything else in my miserable life.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Like I said, hard to explain. For instance, I was cleaning rat carcasses and rat shit out of my shed the other day, and it really didn't feel any more miserable than everything else in my miserable life.
You up for cleaning my apartment next?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So if everything is miserable, nothing is miserable, right? Everything is just normal.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
Thyroid problems (like a benign growth) can cause both depression and loss of sex drive. You really should go to a doctor if you haven't.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I have some genetic susceptibility to thyroid problems, but I fixed them through diet and exercise.

I'm a psychologist, it's not like I don't understand the problem. My depression comes from the fact that I live a physically and emotionally draining, incredibly isolated life.

I could leave, and then feel guilty for the rest of my life, with no guarantee that the misery would go away.

iannis

Musty Nester
Just sick of it all?

Sort of androgenous?

Made of metal?

Marvin+001.jpg

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have some genetic susceptibility to thyroid problems, but I fixed them through diet and exercise.

I'm a psychologist, it's not like I don't understand the problem. My depression comes from the fact that I live a physically and emotionally draining, incredibly isolated life.

I could leave, and then feel guilty for the rest of my life, with no guarantee that the misery would go away.
you should take lithium

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider

Feel guilty about what? Your mom? Throw that bitch in an old folks home an go enjoy your life.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The talk of drugs is retarded.

None of my problems are made up or predominantly chemical in nature. I'm dealing with real shit and have a real lack of resources to deal with it.

Everyone who knows me and has seen my life says that they would have already killed themselves or gone crazy if they were in my position, so the fact that I'm still here actually means I'm more stable than most.

Now, it's easy to argue that what I'm doing is self destructive, sure, but the important part is thatno one else will do it, so that doesn't matter.

Feel guilty about what? Your mom? Throw that bitch in an old folks home an go enjoy your life.
She's only 58, so that's not really an option. The house still needs about 10k worth of materials and a similar $ amount worth of work (most of which I can do myself, given enough time) to be sellable, plus I need to finish the landscaping.

Thiswillend eventually, but every setback is excruciating.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I'm a psychologist
Why is this so common? I don't personally know anyone with a doctorate in psychology but know several with either a bachelors or masters degree in psychology related fields, my ex-wife included, that are emotional disasters.

I think the field attracts people that have emotional problems that want to help other people not feel as shitty as they do. Or they know enough about the field to just bullshit themselves into believing they have no hope of a better life.

My ex-wife had her masters in psychology and was one of the most frustrating people I have encountered to try to work out relationship problems with. Couples therapy was a fucking joke because whenever the doctor of psychology said I needed to make changes she was 100% correct. When the doctor said my ex-wife needed to change something in her behavior she had a hundred reasons why the dr was wrong and didn't know what the fuck she was talking about.

Edit: Also my wife would make these pathetic manipulative attempts to make me capitulate to her will. Ie: if you loved me you'd do XYZ for me. She'd also completely change the subject of a fight. We'd be arguing about what me cleaning up my laundry pile and its she would bring up something we fought about a month ago that I thought was resolved and then it into that argument again. It blew my fucking mind. I was like you have a fucking degree in psychology, can't you see the bullshit tactics and manipulative bullshit that you constantly pull in our relationship?

Edit#2: I also realize a relationship is a lot more complex than a few hand picked anecdotes.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
If she was a competent psychologist she would know that lithium isn't a drug, it's a mineral supplement

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The talk of drugs is retarded.

None of my problems are made up or predominantly chemical in nature. I'm dealing with real shit and have a real lack of resources to deal with it.

Everyone who knows me and has seen my life says that they would have already killed themselves or gone crazy if they were in my position, so the fact that I'm still here actually means I'm more stable than most.

Now, it's easy to argue that what I'm doing is self destructive, sure, but the important part is thatno one else will do it, so that doesn't matter.

She's only 58, so that's not really an option. The house still needs about 10k worth of materials and a similar $ amount worth of work (most of which I can do myself, given enough time) to be sellable, plus I need to finish the landscaping.

Thiswillend eventually, but every setback is excruciating.
stop making excuses for yourself, it's pathetic. You and only you are responsible for where you are at this point in your life.you aren't 12 Years old anymore even though you might look it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't see what has to be so miserable about living with your family. Now you toss in lesbianism and a lack of social outlets and maybe I can start seeing some misery. And you toss in a house in need of some renovation which the insurance reneged on and maybe I can see some financial stress.

But you know... bring a girlfriend back to the casa. WTF is moms gonna do about it. You can make it cute. Hang a sock on your bedroom door and in the middle of your visit yell, "MOOOMMM. HOTPOCKETS."

Really though. What do you think she's gonna DO to you? Peck and bitch and throw a hissy fit? There's got to be some sort of magic place for gay people to go to meet other gay people. Go get picked up, ya know.

It's safe to come out of that shell a little.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Sounds like she's already extremely hyperthyroidatic, lithium slows the thyroid function. Could possibly fix this nutjob's shit.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have literally none of the symptoms you would use lithium to treat. It's also not a mineral supplement, it's an extremely potent drug with a difficult dosing schedule.

This is all a huge double standard by the way. When a man does a job he hates and lives with a woman he despises, for the sake of his children, it's considered noble. But me, carrying my mother through chronic illness, 4 major natural disasters, and a failed marriage, is somehow pathetic?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I have literally none of the symptoms you would use lithium to treat. It's also not a mineral supplement, it's an extremely potent drug with a difficult dosing schedule.

This is all a huge double standard by the way. When a man does a job he hates and lives with a woman he despises, for the sake of his children, it's considered noble. But me, carrying my mother through chronic illness, 4 major natural disasters, and a failed marriage, is somehow pathetic?
Hey I didn't say it was pathetic, I said to ditch that lady. I got an extra room you can come stay with me.

iannis

Musty Nester
Now I'm sure your mom doesn't actively want you miserable. And if she does, she's a miserable cunt and you should ignore her. Still support her and whatnot, that's only duty, but absolutely fucking ignore her needing company in her misery.

There are things that you have to give even when they are unasked for and there are things that you should NEVER give even when they are asked for. What you're talking about, in a way, is a tithe.

Because you're right. Eventually this situation will end. Eventually she will die, and you will be her. Except maybe with a couple of cats instead of a daughter.

Mid 30's? You can change that. It'll take about a year, but it's possible. Mid 40's... I'm not sure that you can.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I don't see what has to be so miserable about living with your family. Now you toss in lesbianism and a lack of social outlets and maybe I can start seeing some misery. And you toss in a house in need of some renovation which the insurance reneged on and maybe I can see some financial stress.

But you know... bring a girlfriend back to the casa. WTF is moms gonna do about it. You can make it cute. Hang a sock on your bedroom door and in the middle of your visit yell, "MOOOMMM. HOTPOCKETS."

Really though. What do you think she's gonna DO to you? Peck and bitch and throw a hissy fit? There's got to be some sort of magic place for gay people to go to meet other gay people. Go get picked up, ya know.

It's safe to come out of that shell a little.
That's got nothing to do with it. I don't date much because of self-worth issues, nothing to do with shame for being gay. I've dated two girls in the past 6 months, but neither for very long. It's very hard to in a relationship when you feel completely worthless and you don't understand how the other person could ever possibly like you.

I mean, and that's the real crux of my issues. Even when the depression lifts, I'm still stuck with incredibly low feelings of self-worth and that is not something that you can snap your fingers and fix with drugs. And it's REALLY hard for me to relate to other people, because we live in this society where everyone is a fucking narcissist and I'm the only one who hates herself. I also realize that having low self-worth makes me very vulnerable to being exploited by others, which is why I'd rather just be exploited in my current situation instead. Better to be abused by someone you know, right?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Why is this so common? I don't personally know anyone with a doctorate in psychology but know several with either a bachelors or masters degree in psychology related fields, my ex-wife included, that are emotional disasters.

I think the field attracts people that have emotional problems that want to help other people not feel as shitty as they do. Or they know enough about the field to just bullshit themselves into believing they have no hope of a better life.
Gotta admit, I know 1 person who is a psychologist (or psychiatrist, whichever one doesn't prescribe drugs) and he's the most messed up person I know. I don't think he's depressed though, because he's always maniacally laughing.