The Grand Budapest Hotel

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Grand Budapest Hotel - IMDB

Several Actors Check into Wes Anderson's 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'

Still, Anderson's cast is quite remarkable for a film whose plot details are quite scarce at the moment. It is known that "The Grand Budapest Hotel" centers "around the trials and tribulations of Mr. Gustave (Fiennes) who serves as the hotel's perfectly composed concierge."

Anderson has also revealed that the film will take place 85 years ago, that there's a "mind-reader character" in the script, and that it's a "Euro movie" in the vein of Billy Wilder and Ernst Lubitsch .

The title also seemingly echoes "Grand Hotel," the 1932 Oscar-winning film that hovered around the tenants in a Berlin hotel (and, coincidentally, Anderson's film will be shot in Germany). Anderson has never shied away from retro and vintage styled films, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see the director recall that film as well.
First time hearing anything about this. I thought Moonrise Kingdom was fantastic, and I can't wait to hear more about this film.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jude Law Says New Wes Anderson Film Takes Place In Two Eras; Updates On 'Sherlock 3' & Herzog's 'Queen Of The Desert'd

First up is Anderson's film, which is now shooting, though plot details are firmly under wraps. What Anderson has shared thus far is that it's inspired by the movies of Ernst Lubtisch and Billy Wilder, and is set in the 1930s. But Law revealed that not only has he already completed shooting his part, the movie may be dipping into another era as well.

"I have a tiny role in it. Tiny tiny. I?ve just done it. It was five days of work," he said, adding that he's a big fan of the director and that, "it was really, really wonderful to be on one of his projects." He also dropped some hints about the plot, saying it takes place in two time periods: "...it?s mostly set in the '30s, and my segment?s set in the '60s." But he remained tight-lipped on the details of cast, saying only, "it?s [Wes'] usual team." But we already the know the cast includes new and familiar faces such as Ralph Fiennes, Saoirse Ronan, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody and Willem Dafoe.

joz123

Potato del Grande

Anyone see this yet? It's out now in limited release in NY and LA, not close to me. I love Wes Anderson movies a lot and the cast in this looks great.

Feien

Ploppers
It's the most Wes Andersony movie yet, so if you like his movies, you'll love this one. Some of the humor is closest to Life Aquatic. I personally loved it.

Szlia

Probably the funniest of his movies and the most accomplished in its direction. Every set, every costume, every prop, every shot, every camera movement, the delivery of every line even the movements of the actors are all masterly controlled from start to finish on a frantic pace with a great sense of style and comedic rhythm. I found it extremely impressive, but I can see how some can find it asphyxiating, artificial or the creepy product of a grown man turning his movies into doll houses.

My problem with the movie lies elsewhere: I like Anderson's movies when they have a dash of something darker, a sadness, a melancholia, something that is well carried by a Bill Murray in Life Aquatic or an Owen Wilson in Darjeeling Limited. Here there are some themes that could summon this darker side (the end of an era, war, transmission from a lonely man to an orphan, etc), but it never does. As a result, the film is 'only' a brilliant and funny lighthearted romp.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
A fantastic movie - one of the most enjoyable film experiences I've had in years. Found it to be a frantic, fast paced comedy with Ralph Fiennes delivering an exceptional performance amongst a high calibre cast who all excelled.

I've not seen any other Anderson film, but found the lighthearted nature of it a key part of the movie.

Column_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen this one yet, but you just described all his films so if you like that one I would get his full catalog on Blue Ray, and thank me later.

Moonrise Kingdom
The Darjeeling Limited
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Bottle Rocket

Column_sl

shitlord
I like how the mods clearly try to sidetrack a conversation, and then claim all I do is shit up threads.
If you don't like my list make your fucking own. I don't want Mr. Fox on my list, and it has nothing to do with it being a good film.

khalid

Unelected Mod
You really are incapable of admitting a mistake, aren't you?

It sure would have been easier to say "Yeah, my bad, I worded that poorly." Instead, you have to argue for 3 or 4 posts.