The Grand Budapest Hotel

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't seen this, but I did actually manage to see The Darjeeling Limited finally. That was the last one other than this that I hadn't seen. It was pretty great.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Hell, I'd say it is the best he has done.

I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone but seriously, I went in thinking I would hate it and ended up loving the damn thing to death. Easily a top 50 movie of all time for me at least.
Completely agree. I love Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife and I saw this, but haven't seen a ton of Wes Anderson films overall. We really liked it. She (an English major) observed that it was very literary - a narrator telling the story that was told to him about someone telling a story to an author. I argue that Gustave is himself 'creating' his own world within the real world, through desire and force of personality. A lot of the visuals seemed influenced by how you would read a book - some scenes did not have a lot of 'details', just the core, sweeping things that you would imagine while reading, although I was comparing it to a cartoony style while watching it (I am not so much an English major).

We both enjoyed it for sure, but not sure how re-watchable it is. Perhaps because of that style, it doesn't feel like you missed all that much while watching it, although watching Gustave be Gustave may be worth it at some point.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Watched this last night and I loved it. My favorite Anderson movie so far. Ralph Fiennes has played two of my favorite characters in recent memory now (Gustave in this and Harry in In Bruges).

joz123

Potato del Grande
He was so perfect for the role. Just the right amount of sleeze-bag mixed with gentleman/professional.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Watched this last night and I loved it. My favorite Anderson movie so far. Ralph Fiennes has played two of my favorite characters in recent memory now (Gustave in this and Harry in In Bruges).
yep this is now my favorite wes anderson film, easily beating Life Aquatic, which i fucking loved and have seen at least a half dozen times

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
How do you guys rank Darjeeling Limited compared to his other stuff? I haven't seen that one yet.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
This was easily my least favourite Wes Anderson film. Just didn't speak to me at all.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For me

Fantastic Mr fox
Royal tennenbaums
Moonrise kingdom
Life aquatic
Bottle rocket
Rushmore
Budapest hotel
Djarling

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How do you guys rank Darjeeling Limited compared to his other stuff? I haven't seen that one yet.
I only recently saw it for the first time. And I have still never seen Bottle Rocket because I am an awful person. But I really liked it. I would put it on par with Rushmore as far as my taste, with Life Aquatic and Royal Tennenbaums being my favorite. Still haven't seen this one yet either.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Finally saw this this weekend. Really enjoyed the storytelling. The overly cute to be cute shit kind of annoying and overdone but didn't take away from it too much. Tennenbaums probably my favorite of his stuff.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved this. Way more over the top than his other movies(Sans Mr. Fox, obviously). Definitely his funniest movie yet. HOWEVAH Royal Tenenbaums is still his best movie.

Recently watched Darjeeling and while it was entertaining just because it had his signature style and dialogue it didn't hook me like most of his movies do. Partly that's because it's literally just the three leads and everyone else in the movie is totally ancillary. And partly it just doesn't have the same kind of visuals as his other movies. It's shot the same, but they don't have the weird locations and shit that make his stuff stick out.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just watched this yesterday and I may have liked it more than Whiplash. Awesome movie. This was actually the first Wes Anderson movie I've ever seen and I'm definitely interested enough to dive into his back catalog.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would start with Royal Tenenbaums first, then Moonrise kingdon. Even if you arent into stop animation, fantastic Mr Fox was top 5 movies that year

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I think I saw Moonrise Kingdom...I think. But, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Grand Budapest Hotel are simply amazing. You can re-watch them as many times and still love them.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If you like Bill Murry then you're gonna enjoy going through Wes Anderson's movies. He gets the most face time in The Life Aquatic but I think my favorite of his Anderson roles was in Rushmore. Royal Tenenbaums made me wish that Gene Hackman had been in more of his movies.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Very good movie, definitely in my top 3 Wes Anderson films.

What I like about him is that, while he sticks to a strong and almost rigid style / format, the film-making is still fantastic. Some lesser directors if they could, would have the style and format and that'd be it. But he still tells a good story, with good characters.

Would say that Tenenbaums is my favorite, his style and pace seems to suit the underlying melancholy of the characters.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I love, LOVE Wes Anderson movies...I mean I even have a Zissou avatar, but I just couldn't get into the Grand Budapest for some reason. I guess I need to rewatch it since it gets such favorable reviews, maybe I was just having a bad day when I saw it.