The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
felt like a Top Gear episode, which is what i wanted. the american guy seems like a joke. i would say he wont be back, but then it means their track times wont match up too well. maybe they will just have him do the track with no audio. i dont have a problem with the track itself other than why it needed to be so extreme. dont know why ya'll dont like it.

overall great episode and look forward to next week's

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Loved it. Some of the bits were a little long in the tooth, the dying celebrities. Which was a good idea for a bit but was just short on execution. Same with the Royal Air Force bit. These are things that should easily iron out and become better, so no big deal and could just be personal preference.

Agree that The American was dumb. Even for what they were going for. Just lazy jokes and writing for the whole thing.

Stuff that was on though (85% of the show) was awesome and 100% Top Gear. Really excited about the rest of the series. Oh, and the intro was cool this week.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I love how they immediately jumped into the P1 vs 918 vs Ferrari. Really gave it that "picking up where we left off" feel to this opening episode.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Was a great show, volume did seem choppy. The American sucked ass, get someone who likes cars all around or a silent driver.

In the intro with May and Hammond rolled up beside Clarkson I realized how sad I'm going to be when it all ends.

Also, I don't care if the P1 is the slowest, that car is pure sex. I would take it over the other 2 every single time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Great first episode except for the American guy, he has got to go.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
wow.. I'm just a few minutes in, but this opening is on par with any of the greatest Top Gear moments of all time. The dreary rain opener along with the song choice into meeting up with Hammond and May, just amazing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
wow.. I'm just a few minutes in, but this opening is on par with any of the greatest Top Gear moments of all time. The dreary rain opener along with the song choice into meeting up with Hammond and May, just amazing.
i think thats the first time i saw jezzer driving a mustang. also was fun see that hammond hasnt changed. he is still a sore "winner"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I thought it was a decent first episode. Frankly I was a bit disappointed with the "more supercars" focus, felt it distracted from the episode overall. Wanted to see more about the M2. I much prefer seeing cars that I could theoretically afford with a few special ones thrown in rather than the ones that will be repainted in gold and have Arabs driving them through London.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I thought it was a decent first episode. Frankly I was a bit disappointed with the "more supercars" focus, felt it distracted from the episode overall. Wanted to see more about the M2. I much prefer seeing cars that I could theoretically afford with a few special ones thrown in rather than the ones that will be repainted in gold and have Arabs driving them through London.
this hypercar race was something the TG guys have been talking about since the season before their last one, so 2-3 years in the making? thats why they started with the race because top gear was never able to make it happen for them due to whatever internal politics between BBC and the car manufacturers going on. this race was very much frowned upon because those rich fucking ayrabs who paint their cars gold and cruise through london streets would not buy a "loser" car. at a million a pop, a few changed minds could hurt these companies's bottom line.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You've clearly not paid attention to Top Gear then. These 3 cars are the pinnacle of engineering and technology and people have been dying to see a 3 way comparison since their release. Ferrari have been pussies about it and refused their car to be timed as well as other issues from Porsche and McLaren. This has been long awaited by fans for ages. It was the perfect opener. I am sure they will go back to testing every day cars with the hyper cars thrown in just like usual.

As stated, The American sucks. Shut the fuck up and drive. A real car buff can appreciate something out of every make, regardless of cylinder count. There are monster 6 cyl turbos out there pushing near 2,000+ HP. (Supra / Skyline GTRs anyone?) We don't need some stereotypical hick narrating the lap segments.

The track.. I too think it looks boring as all hell. I am particularly disappointed that it is in the UK. I was always let down on Top Gear when we had to see really high end cars be forced to do their timed lap in the rain. Now the track is in the UK for The Grand Tour, we will likely have too many wet lap cars.

Hutchy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great first episode except for the American guy, he has got to go.
You know when American TV shows portray the English, this is exactly the same but the other way around for a change!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

i think thats the first time i saw jezzer driving a mustang. also was fun see that hammond hasnt changed. he is still a sore "winner"

He actually drove a Shelby in one of the last seasons of Top Gear in a race against Hammond/May. I think he ended up liking it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

You've clearly not paid attention to Top Gear then. These 3 cars are the pinnacle of engineering and technology and people have been dying to see a 3 way comparison since their release. Ferrari have been pussies about it and refused their car to be timed as well as other issues from Porsche and McLaren. This has been long awaited by fans for ages. It was the perfect opener. I am sure they will go back to testing every day cars with the hyper cars thrown in just like usual.

As stated, The American sucks. Shut the fuck up and drive. A real car buff can appreciate something out of every make, regardless of cylinder count. There are monster 6 cyl turbos out there pushing near 2,000+ HP. (Supra / Skyline GTRs anyone?) We don't need some stereotypical hick narrating the lap segments.

The track.. I too think it looks boring as all hell. I am particularly disappointed that it is in the UK. I was always let down on Top Gear when we had to see really high end cars be forced to do their timed lap in the rain. Now the track is in the UK for The Grand Tour, we will likely have too many wet lap cars.

I don't know, it seems like a pretty dangerous track to me. I couldn't imagine pushing a super/hyper car through there on the ragged edge with no run offs. That means if the driver makes a mistake like the Stig did in the Koenegsiegisisigsigsisgsgsgsgs, it'll be donezo.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's another good point. They can't really push cars to their max because the slightest mistake = totaled car and possibly a dead driver. It also favors cars that are quicker in turns, as they mentioned the "not so straight" is not straight, so renders raw HP and speed much less of a factor. We need a track that has both.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's another good point. They can't really push cars to their max because the slightest mistake = totaled car and possibly a dead driver. It also favors cars that are quicker in turns, as they mentioned the "not so straight" is not straight, so renders raw HP and speed much less of a factor. We need a track that has both.
neither are really dealbreakers, take American's script away and maybe add some more rubber barriers to the track so cars dont get ruined on a bad turn.

i admit i do miss the woosh the fast cars would make on the old track as they sped by that stack of tires.

Hekotat

Too me, it seems like a really challenging track to get the most out of a car, what I don't like is using a different driver every time to put down a lap time. That will add way to many variables for comparison sake.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Too me, it seems like a really challenging track to get the most out of a car, what I don't like is using a different driver every time to put down a lap time. That will add way to many variables for comparison sake.
I think amazon demanded their driver to be a saucy american to connect to their perceived view that americans cant comprehend f1 and british comedy. So they chose this guy and had him say a bunch of dumb shit as a protest. Then they can pick a silent faceless driver again. Call him Enigma and have him redo all those benchmarks.