The Green Knight (2020)

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
lol, the fucking gymnastics to rationalize making patton black

why not make him a woman too?

Because I am sexist person, not a racist one. So no go on female patton. thumbs down.

I'm perfectly OK with gengis Kahn being played by a non Mongolian actor. Genghis khan rise to fame is because he was a world conqueror, not directly tied to his race. Or elizabeth Taylor being Cleopatra.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Colin Powell being casted as General Patton does not remove anything from the other black generals, because the story is not about them, it is about General Patton, a person whose story had nothing to do with race. Again, Patton's story is not about race, it is about military leadership. A black actor can deliver that without an issue.

I've seen this movie before

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
What?? No.

Colin Powell being casted as General Patton does not remove anything from the other black generals, because the story is not about them, it is about General Patton, a person whose story had nothing to do with race. Again, Patton's story is not about race, it is about military leadership. A black actor can deliver that without an issue. Did you see the Patton movie? Did it involved the racial struggles of the pilots? No it did not, because the story is not about them.

Now, the narrative of the movie will fall apart if in the course of the movie, he would meet Benjamin Davis and congratulates him on being the first Black General. Then the movie would make no sense.

But since it doesn't, then it would be perfectly fine.

Also most of the fairy tales of old times are 100% fictional. They are not based on historical figures. Who was Cinderella based on, and all the princes and princesses of disney.

Only snow white because her name on the book is a direct reference of her color, but for cinderella/tinkerbell etc, race of the actor has very very little significance.
Patton didn't think too much of the negros. Just sayin.

220px-Jackie_Robinson,_Brooklyn_Dodgers,_1954.jpg
was in the 761st.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Araysar Araysar tellme how you really feel about this
1620852322671.png

Look at that dapping Russian Doctor Yuri Andreyevich Zhivago being played by a .... Egyptian mongrel .

Btw that is one of the best movies ever made.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
again, there's a grey area in that "actors pretend to be other people for a living" so you should be able to have any actor play any role. except that's not true. you can't have a white dude play MLKjr, you can't have a jew play hitler, you can't have an asian female play george washington. even if you write a story in which race plays ZERO PART in those stories, the suspension of disbelief is too high.

even if you are making a story about mythology. let's take norse mythology and make all the gods black. a bunch of blonde hair blue eye swedes worshipped god that look nothing like them? most of them probably never even saw a black person. but so what, it's fictional, right?

okay, let's take some native american mythology and cast some white people and see how far we get.

either anyone can play anyone, or you have to be selective. you can't have it both ways.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Speaking as a Brit, and obviously having a shared consciousness with all Brits, I think it's safe to say the thing most likely to cause discomfort to us all in that trailer isn't the perceived melanin requirement of a particular role but the dropping of the "U" from honour.

It's a fucking travesty!

Just a reminder, Grizzle is the same kind of person that finds it important that everyone in Wakanda be black, and every voice actor in Lion King be black--because any white washing does terrible damage to their cultural heritage.

Its not the melanin. Its the hypocrisy, Grizzle. Race swapping stories can actually be interesting and insightful; taking an Asian or African myth and adapting it for Europeans used to be a normal thing. Its not done anymore because whining faggots made up a set of rules that such things were 'damaging'.

But they want to forget those rules the moment its inconvenient for their ideology. That's the problem. Its a question of double think, and I'm not going to sit here and pretend like this rampant hypocrisy isn't a thing because you're so demoralized you can't be bothered to even confront it.

Damn shame too, because I like this guy as an actor.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
again, there's a grey area in that "actors pretend to be other people for a living" so you should be able to have any actor play any role. except that's not true. you can't have a white dude play MLKjr, you can't have a jew play hitler, you can't have an asian female play george washington. even if you write a story in which race plays ZERO PART in those stories, the suspension of disbelief is too high.

even if you are making a story about mythology. let's take norse mythology and make all the gods black. a bunch of blonde hair blue eye swedes worshipped god that look nothing like them? most of them probably never even saw a black person. but so what, it's fictional, right?

okay, let's take some native american mythology and cast some white people and see how far we get.

either anyone can play anyone, or you have to be selective. you can't have it both ways.
Remember that great movie, dance with the wolfes. It was a great movie, same as the last samurai.

• 1Garbage

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Remember that great movie, dance with the wolfes. It was a great movie, same as the last samurai.
Holy shit, you really are a potato. Neither is cultural appropriation or actors playing other races. It's about ethnocentrism and intercultural experiences.

Did you see either?

poe-tay-toe.gif

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You do realize that movie is loosely based on actual events that happened in Japan right? Save swapping British/French for Americans.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosely based on actual events.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosely based on actual events.
l o o s e l y

Japan did invite westerners mainly Euros to make it a modern nation and it did deal with internal strife over that modernization particulary with the Samurai going away and them adopting a modern military.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought the guy from Short Circuit was Indian for most of my life.

• 1Like

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because I am sexist person, not a racist one. So no go on female patton. thumbs down.

I'm perfectly OK with gengis Kahn being played by a non Mongolian actor. Genghis khan rise to fame is because he was a world conqueror, not directly tied to his race. Or elizabeth Taylor being Cleopatra.

cleopatra was white.